Gransnet forums

Chat

End of the World

(28 Posts)
sunseeker Sat 22-Feb-14 13:51:52

Did you all know that according to Viking legend all the Norse gods are going to have a battle today which will destroy the world!

Now why can I remember a obscure piece of Viking mythology but forgot to buy chicken for my chicken casserole the other day confused

durhamjen Sat 22-Feb-14 13:54:39

Have you had your DNA checked?

Elegran Sat 22-Feb-14 14:10:03

More interesting?

mollie Sat 22-Feb-14 14:40:10

Can they do it quietly please? It's nice out and I've got some windows open, wouldn't want to have to close them because of the noise!

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 15:02:49

The Vikings obviously weren't communicating very well with the Mayans (internet down?) as the world should have ended in December 2012 according to them.

Galen Sat 22-Feb-14 15:16:41

Ragnarok I think it's called. Or something like that

durhamjen Sat 22-Feb-14 15:19:08

Thanks, mollie, just realised why I'm cold. It was sunnier earlier so I opened some windows.

durhamjen Sat 22-Feb-14 15:26:59

I thought that had already happened, Galen. Was that not the equivalent of Noah's Ark?

Galen Sat 22-Feb-14 15:28:44

It's been over 50years since I read Norse mythology. Something else to add to the 'to do when I grow up ' list?

mollie Sat 22-Feb-14 15:40:23

When's that then Galen? Lol!

Aka Sat 22-Feb-14 15:40:31

The Definitive Guide to End of World Dates

The things we google! confused

Charleygirl Sat 22-Feb-14 15:50:58

Could the destruction of the world be postponed for another day please as I have made arrangements to go out for lunch tomorrow and I have just put petrol in my car. It would be a pity to waste it.

durhamjen Sat 22-Feb-14 15:51:12

i like Warren Jeffs idea that it didn't happen because his followers did not have enough faith. I think that could have happened quite a lot , and will probably do so again in the future.

seaspirit Sat 22-Feb-14 16:04:46

that's O.K. the Iron Druid has it covered, and his dog Oberon will bite their bums

janerowena Sat 22-Feb-14 17:21:37

Can anyone explain to me why people panic so much when they think The End of the World is Nigh?

Only - they won't be there to worry about it. confused

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 17:28:21

Haven't seen anyone walking round with a sandwich board proclaiming 'The End of the World is Nigh' so it can't be happening. You can go out and enjoy your lunch charleygirl.

absent Sat 22-Feb-14 17:40:50

It's already "tomorrow" here – and it hasn't happened yet. smile

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 17:51:50

Perhaps it doesn't happen until it is today in Scandinavia. We'll let you know when it happens (?)

Ariadne Sat 22-Feb-14 19:24:55

There is some research somewhere on apocalyptic theory, and why pro pounders don't get put off when it doesn't happen. (I will have to look it up - it has just emerged from the dark recesses of my brain...)

cathybee Sat 22-Feb-14 19:46:14

I am sure the End of the world will come one day, just do not think its today smile

Charleygirl Sat 22-Feb-14 19:57:39

rosequartz admittedly I have not been to Oxford Street for a while because there was a man there daily wearing a sandwich board proclaiming that the end of the world was nigh.

Oh by the way, welcome, I have not seen your name before. I do hope that you enjoy GN.

Elegran Sat 22-Feb-14 20:02:39

When it does come, it will take everyone by surprise, even those who have been predicting it on a particular day. Especially those who have been predicting the exact day, because it will prove them wrong (again).

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 20:03:58

Thankyou! Finding it interesting, and learning the ropes slowly, charleygirl.

I suppose I live rather in 'the sticks', so probably the sandwich boarders are in the cities. How many years has he been there, I wonder?

mollie Sat 22-Feb-14 20:40:27

Charleygirl, the chap you mentioned was a Sydney Green who has finally met his own end and died, sadly. I don't know if anyone took over his pitch and is now carrying his famous placard, he didn't have children of course ( he espoused celibacy) so there isn't a Sydney jnr carrying on his work.

rosequartz Sat 22-Feb-14 20:48:38

Oh dear, RIP Sydney. I wonder what he thought when it didn't happen in his lifetime. Is he looking down on us, watching and waiting for a few billion years so he can say 'I told you so' ?

(Sorry, Sydney, it could be tomorrow)