Gransnet forums

Chat

Congratulations

(63 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 12-Jan-16 09:41:14

To Rupert Murdoch and Jerry Hall on their engagement , I wish them a very long and happy marriage . Wonderful to see two people so in love grin

petra Tue 12-Jan-16 09:45:08

I have a very unpleasant picture in my head and it won't go away.

grannyqueenie Tue 12-Jan-16 11:44:51

Feeling a bit queasy myself grin

HildaW Tue 12-Jan-16 11:47:33

Yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anniebach Tue 12-Jan-16 12:07:46

How unkind , they are in the second/third/fourth flush of true love , hope no one will suggest money,money,money has drawn Jerry to Rupert shock

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jan-16 12:13:55

hmm (about this thread)

JessM Tue 12-Jan-16 12:14:03

I hope that she will be able to persuade him to take a well-earned retirement and enjoy his success smile

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jan-16 12:14:06

hmm (about this thread)

rosesarered Tue 12-Jan-16 12:17:24

I am certainly hmm about this thread.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 12-Jan-16 12:19:31

They are celebs. They are fair game for bitching about.

No, they're not actually.

Katek Tue 12-Jan-16 13:08:24

Shades of Mrs Merton to Debbie McGee.....!

"So what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

Substitute name where necessary.

Gagagran Tue 12-Jan-16 13:08:48

As Mrs Merton said to Debbie McGee "What first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?".

annodomini Tue 12-Jan-16 13:38:42

I'm sure that some fat cat lawyers are even now drawing up a watertight pre-nup agreement between these two love-birds. wink

trisher Tue 12-Jan-16 13:40:30

Sorry for starting another thread- the "congratulations" misled me- really!!! Not something I had thought of.

ninathenana Tue 12-Jan-16 13:44:41

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this an odd match.

HildaW Tue 12-Jan-16 17:45:11

Its his dubious morality that revolts me....his 'empire' has been responsible for some very unsavoury practices in many branches of the media.

NotTooOld Tue 12-Jan-16 18:20:09

After Bryan Ferry and Mick Jagger? Noo-oooooooo!!!

Iam64 Tue 12-Jan-16 19:02:10

annodomini, I'm absolutely sure you're right. Jerry Hall will surely have learned from her experience of marrying Sir Mick on a beach, only to discover when they separated that she wasn't legally married. Morally married I'm sure but the generous Michael ensured she couldn't get any money out of his fortune, other than for their 4 children.

I'd bet she has things tied up a bit more sensibly this time around grin

Elrel Tue 12-Jan-16 19:07:57

I was pleasantly surprised by Jerry Hall on Who Do You Think You Are, she came over as natural, relaxed and down to earth. I won't comment on Murdoch.

Tegan Tue 12-Jan-16 19:27:01

I've always thought of her as an intelligent and witty lady. I'm rather disappointed to hear this.

Tegan Tue 12-Jan-16 19:27:25

....another one off the Christmas card list....

NotTooOld Tue 12-Jan-16 19:30:11

Iam64 - is that really true that she got nothing out of Michael except provision for the children? Surely a good lawyer would have done better than that for her. She must have earned good money herself as a top model so perhaps that made a difference. All very complicated, no doubt. We are all assuming she is marrying Murdoch for his money, aren't we? It's hard to think of any other reason. sad

Iam64 Tue 12-Jan-16 19:34:11

That's what I read NotTooOld - and it's the experience of a couple of women I know. One had a 10 year relationship, shared a home for that length of time, contributing to bills etc and has 4 year old child from the relationship. Relationship ended and she was told by different lawyers, that as her name wasn't on the mortgage etc and they weren't married, she has no legal right to a share of the property or any financial support. She's worked part time but had to go full time to keep herself and her child - she does get maintenance but a minuscule amount imo when you consider what the ex earns.
I don't know about Jerry but I did read during their separation that he'd claimed their beach marriage wasn't legal therefore she wasn't eligible for maintenance, other than for their children, some of whom were young at that time.

NotTooOld Tue 12-Jan-16 19:41:45

Iam64 - I do remember all the publicity about the beach marriage. I wonder if Tricky Micky was aware of the illegality at the time even if Jerry wasn't?

Jalima Tue 12-Jan-16 20:29:26

I should imagine that Michael P. Jagger was fully aware that it wasn't legal NotTooOld.

Better luck this time Jerry hmm although I would be very wary of marrying a very elderly Aussie, they can sometimes be mcp.