Gransnet forums

Chat

"Modern mums have lost the plot"

(84 Posts)
Grannyknot Wed 27-Apr-16 19:50:04

This article is refreshing - (I am surrounded by first time mothers in my life at present). My young neighbour had a melt-down rant to me the other day about the temerity of the bus driver who wouldn't let her get on the bus unless she folded her pushchair (the bus was full). Another friend who runs a cafe says she dreads the "buggy brigade" coming in en masse because they're "quite demanding"...

www.telegraph.co.uk/women/family/celebrity-maternity-nurse-modern-mothers-have-lost-the-plot/

rosesarered Sun 01-May-16 21:54:25

When we had our DC the received wisdom at the time was to put the baby face down, but that seemed wrong to me and baby got too hot ( perhaps an element in cot deaths) so I always put them on their backs.Their head could turn each way, so looked more comfortable. Shortly after that the Back To Sleep campaign was started, so it was the correct thing to do after all.

silverlining48 Mon 02-May-16 10:48:33

Not all i am sure, but many children these days are placed right at the centre of the family which revolves entirely for their needs and wants, making them feel very important indeed. This to the extent of allowing unacceptable behaviour outside, in restaurants and so on with little understanding by parents of how this affects others enjoyment.
I dont know when this changed. previously, though children were an important part of the family but not central to it and they fitted in with family life and knew how to behave when out.
It will be a surprise when they grow and find that the world does not revolve around them. not their fault of course, but a hard lesson nonetheless.
i have learned that whatever suggestion/ advice/little pearl of wisdom i was tempted to pass on was neither appreciated nor apparently gratefully accepted (and ignored) so now I keep my own counsel.. i know my place.!!
Each generation have certainly made the same complaint and no doubt when these young families grow and their children have children this same conversation will ensue. Tis life.

Witzend Sun 08-May-16 16:35:07

Re advice, a friend of mine had been a midwife and health visitor for 10 years before having her first baby. She said, 'In the first month with him I did EVERYTHING I was telling other mothers NOT to do for the last ten years.'

I'm another who was sternly told that I MUSt put my baby to sleep on her tummy - any other way was fraught with danger. Roll on ten years or so, and they are saying the complete opposite. I don't take too much notice of so called experts these days - they change their minds so often. Eggs are another ditto.

I agree about the heavy, complicated buggies, I too bought a simple McLaren for my own one day a week baby care, since I couldn't stand the cumbersome great thing dd had. (Though at least she hadn't paid silly money for it - it was a cast off from a friend) But guess what - she doesn't use anything else now.

I think it's hard for new mothers nowadays - harder than it was a few decades ago. There is so much stern advice, don't eat or drink this or that, don't do this or that, you must do this or that - and there is so much equipment they are told they must have - far more than we ever had. And of course the need for so many to go back to work before they really want to, not to mention horrendous nursery fees - because they need two salaries to pay the mortgage on a house so many of their parents could have afforded on one, even if it was a tight financial squeeze for a while.

Marmark1 Mon 09-May-16 09:00:32

I don't agree that most women work to pay the mortgage,some do,but mostly it's to keep up a certain standard that we(or most of us) didn't think about.Holidays and all the modern technology two cars etc ,

peaceatlast Mon 09-May-16 16:38:30

Maybe we have brought our children up to have high expectations. It must be difficult to suddenly have to cut back on all the stuff you are used to once you have responsibilities.

When I got married, I had very little anyway so I could only see the positive.

dramatictessa Mon 09-May-16 17:01:21

marmark1, I think some women might work for the luxuries in life, but the young mums I know do so mainly to pay the mortgagee. Most of them would love to spend more time at home with their children but unless they are prepared to move into a much cheaper area far away from family and friends, they have no choice. Even the tiniest houses round here cannot be bought with just one salary unless it is way above the average (and I don't live in London).

trisher Mon 09-May-16 19:37:25

Can't believe anyone is discussing why women work. No questions about why men work. Didn't we move past this years ago? Family incomes vary, some women earn more than men some less. Some women are highly trained and at the top of their profession. Would we say they are working to keep up a certain standard of living? Would we say that the father's salary was to keep up a certain standard of living? It's irrelevant.

Iam64 Tue 10-May-16 08:13:28

trisher - thank you so much for your post. No more need be said - this is 2016 isn't it.