Gransnet forums

Chat

OH confusion!!

(61 Posts)
sue1169 Sun 22-Jan-17 16:46:21

Over the past twelve months my OH has woken up a.m about 5times...not knowing day.date.season.year etc etc I want him to see the doctor but he wont because he FORGETS he woke up like that and says i'm making it up!!!!!hes also changed.awkward(well more awkward!!!) nasty.no affection any more....at all!!! But does show to the children&grandchildren to a degree! But last Wed.in Dubai wherevive been helping DD and baby grandson...and he came out for a week..and each a.m he walked around the beautiful lake by DD's house...so wed a.m he came downstairs and said "Jeez I dont know where i am..where am i?? Am i in DD's house?.." then i askedvhim if he was doing the lake walk..he said "is that what i do?where is it? If i go outside i'll get lost" so this conversation went on.....then later he was fine except he looked awful...all day!!! Pale and vacant!!!DD&SIL were upset!!! But he now..again ..doesnt remember!! Wont see doc.am at my wits end..ive spoke to our doc but he cant do anything unless OH makes appointment!!!! Hes 71 looks at least 10yrs younger.fit.clever...could talk forevervre politics world affairs...but everyday/mundane stuff...does not sink in...dont know what to do..sorry for going on....the children keep saying mum you have to do something! Dad needs to see the doc....but i cant drag him there......

nanaK54 Mon 10-Apr-17 08:54:08

sue1169 flowers so sorry to read that you are feeling so upset, but relieved to hear that your husband is, at last, making a positive move.......

sue1169 Mon 10-Apr-17 08:58:48

Thank you nanaK54...

retrolady2 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:01:48

I do understand and sympathise. We had a similar time with my mum. What about arranging an appointment at the doctor for you, or maybe a phone consultation. Take, or have with you, a list of his symptoms and ask the doctor what he/she can do to help. They will have come across this situation many times, I'm sure. It does sound like vascular dementia, maybe early stages. Don't despair, there's a lot of support out there. Check out the Alzheimer's Society website - it got me through and I now volunteer with them.

I'd be careful with the filming thing though ... you know best, but how will he react to that?

Meanwhile, please do your best to look after yourself as far as you can, and do phone the doctor as a first step. As someone said, they may have a dementia nurse you can chat to, at least, and they will have come across this situation before.

Sending hugs.

retrolady2 Mon 10-Apr-17 09:06:26

Just had a thought ... my mum-in-law had similar episodes many years ago. Turned out she had a vitamin B12 deficiency and all was sorted by monthly injections. Sorry, I'd forgotten that when I posted about dementia. For what it's worth, she lived to 95 with all her faculties intact, as long as she had those injections.

Also sorry that I didn't see you already have an appointment at the GPs. Good luck. Hope it goes well and you get help and support, whatever form that takes. x

sue1169 Mon 10-Apr-17 13:51:38

Thak you retrolady2!!

sue1169 Mon 10-Apr-17 13:53:34

and thank you cornergran..hadnt see your post!

grannypiper Mon 10-Apr-17 19:51:00

Sue At least you are a huge step forward now. Please remember we are here for you.brew&cupcake

Saxifrage Tue 11-Apr-17 11:36:35

Hi Sue, I have only just seen this thread. My OH was diagnosed with a form of Alzheimer's at the end of last year. He had had a couple of mini strokes over the last 5 years and finally got frightened when he couldn't tell the time. Remember the GP is not likely to be an expert. What you now must insist on is referral to a hospital with a good brain/neurology department. Where do you live? Ideally you want a big teaching hospital that will have the facilities to do all the tests and diagnosis.

Antonia Tue 11-Apr-17 14:20:13

Hi Sue1169, I'm sorry that I can't add anything more constructive and helpful than the advice already given by other posters, but just to say I am sorry you are having such a hard time and hope that you can find positive help. Sending hugs. flowers

sue1169 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:26:31

Oh thank you.ALL of you....?......Hope hospital(Salford Royal) I think would be our best bet for neurology....getting H to see doc is one thing.....attending hospital apps oh hope so ..will try my best!!