Gransnet forums

Chat

Home is where.....

(69 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 01-Feb-17 17:09:00

You don't always have to wear a bra.

You can change into your pjs, nightie, dressing gown at tea time.

You can talk to yourself without receiving funny looks from strangers.

You can get a cup of tea or coffee just the way you like it.

annemac101 Thu 02-Feb-17 16:20:21

I was given a lovely little plaque by my new baby granddaughter (via her mum) it says,
"There's no place like home,except grandma's. It really made my day as we moved Neave them so I could see my granddaughter more.

gillyknits Thu 02-Feb-17 16:28:44

Having moved many times in the first six years of married life (four times). I began to think that home was where my furniture was!
Now it is where my comfy bed and pillow live.

Morgana Thu 02-Feb-17 16:56:10

Where I can lick the inside of yoghurt pots!

cassandra264 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:22:58

'Quiet enjoyment' of (your own) home is a legal term - and anyone who breaches that can be challenged in court. Which is why it is now easier for councils to evict tenants who have made others' lives a misery. Sadly, it is more difficult to deal with home owners' bad behaviour - and if on the receiving end of this, you may have to resort, as we did, to the Environmental Health Department and the police.All well now where we are concerned - but it took a long time.

Because of this, I would now say now- home is where you are safe. Where you and others are not threatened with - or suffer actual - violence. Where your property is not damaged. Where you do not have to live with noise nuisance 24/7. Where your environment is not polluted.

Everything else is a bonus! For me now, the best thing is being able to have friends over, and know they can relax.....smile

Legs55 Thu 02-Feb-17 22:32:44

where I can shout at the tv

turn the air all shades of bluegrin

wear comfortable clothes & no bra (stops me getting fungal infections, great to go without)blush

eat what I want, when I want

go to bed when I want, get up when I want (unless I've got an appointment etc)

my safe place, just me & my cat (sadly no DH now but still lots of happy memories)

jacksmum Thu 02-Feb-17 22:45:47

Home is where my dogs are !! lol

Chewbacca Thu 02-Feb-17 22:48:35

Home is looking at the small things around you, that bring back memories of special people or places and you wouldn't part with for anything.

Neversaydie Thu 02-Feb-17 23:46:44

Home is the one place where ,when you turn up,they have to take you in
I forget who said it....

grannypiper Fri 03-Feb-17 07:40:40

Home is house number 17 and i hope not to have a number 18 but have a feeling there will be.

downtoearth Fri 03-Feb-17 09:47:15

Home is where my heart is after 8 moves in 13 years ,accommodation and home are two very different things...my home is where my family is sunshine

goldengirl Fri 03-Feb-17 12:49:59

Home is where the cats think they're boss!
The GC can leave their stuff
DH can make a [permanent] mess
Chaos reigns
Dust collects
I can gaze out of the window and watch the birds

Salmo Fri 03-Feb-17 13:11:26

Home is where..... when you have to go there, they have to take you in

cassandra264 Fri 03-Feb-17 13:45:19

Neversaydie and Salmo- the saying is from the poem by Robert Frost. can't remember the title. I'm going to look it up as I remember it was a very moving piece....

vampirequeen Fri 03-Feb-17 17:54:03

A cat never thinks it's the boss. It knows it's the boss grin

Salmo Fri 03-Feb-17 18:58:57

Indeed it is Robert Frost, I didn't know that cassandra264. From "The Death of the Hired Man". I've just googled it. "http://www.bartleby.com/118/3.html
"Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in. I should have called it something you somehow haven’t to deserve.”

whitewave Fri 03-Feb-17 19:04:41

Do any of us comfortable bras???
Shutting the door and be in an oasis of calm.
Where my beloved garden is
Where I can be warm and cozy away from the elements.

Judthepud2 Sat 04-Feb-17 20:37:14

Goldengirl your house sounds just like mine ?

Neversaydie Thu 09-Feb-17 17:45:58

Robert Frost ,of course SalmoWas paraphrasing and too lazy to look up
True ?