Gransnet forums

Chat

What was your favourite comic or character

(107 Posts)
Kacee Fri 12-May-17 11:25:08

Inspired by the topper thread. What was your favourite comic when you were younger. Mine was Bunty, used to cut out the doll and clothes from the back page. As I got older I moved on to Jackie which I loved.
Dd used to love the Beano and I still buy her the Annual every year and she is 37 smile

welshmaiden Sat 13-May-17 11:28:40

Does anyone remember Twinkle? I used to love the toy hospital stories! I then progressed onto Bunty and Jackie but always read my brothers Dandy and Beano plus Whizzer & Chips!! Wasn't life so much simpler then?

Jaycee5 Sat 13-May-17 11:30:44

I used to like the American comics like Caspar the Ghost (I can't remember the names of any others)but we were only allowed ones like Bunty for some reason. I think I like Bunty and then moved onto Jackie. My sister still calls plastic necklaces 'Bunty beads'.

mumofmadboys Sat 13-May-17 11:49:47

I also read Jackie and liked the problem page. 'Should I kiss my new boyfriend or not?' type stuff!!!

Jezebel Sat 13-May-17 12:23:14

Bounty for me loved it , had the dandy as well

Jezebel Sat 13-May-17 12:23:59

Or even Bunty ?

annifrance Sat 13-May-17 12:51:53

Bunty was my favourite. I remember the first issue, my mother was not impressed with the 4 Marys because Mary 1 to Mary 2 about Mary 3 ' I hear her father's only a greengrocer'.

Moved on to Pony magazine, then Fab in early teens.

My friend's father travelled to the US regularly and he would bring back a teen magazine called, I think, Honey. We would pour over it and long to live like American teens. Looking back it was very sexist, from what I remember it was all about girls lusting after surfers or desperate to be a cheerleader.

glynis1234 Sat 13-May-17 13:13:14

I used to get the Robin, I was quite young then. My sister had the Bunty, I loved Jackie when I was older, the Cathy and Claire page!!

Tessa101 Sat 13-May-17 13:36:05

Bunty then on to Jackie.

Morgana Sat 13-May-17 14:05:12

Read my brother's. They were much more exciting! Remember the racier ones i read secretly in my teens.

chrissyh Sat 13-May-17 14:05:25

I used to have School Friend and then Valentine. Valentine was more grown up with love stories and always had a centre fold of one of the popular singers of the day. Want to check on what you read I found ukcomics.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_comic_titles (copy and paste into your search engine) and you can get a list of comics in alphabetic order.

librarylady Sat 13-May-17 14:09:13

The fourth Mary was Mary Field smile

girlscomicsofyesterday.com/2013/03/the-four-marys/

GrannieBabi Sat 13-May-17 14:14:24

Girl was my favourite comic and Belle of the Ballet my favourite story, despite being in a solid working class family with just as much chance of flying to the moon as being a ballerina. I also read my brother's comics and liked Alf Tupper: the tough of the track, a story about an athlete who turned up to races in a ragged vest eating fish and chips out of the paper but still managed to beat all the posh lads!

Rosina Sat 13-May-17 14:21:04

Bunty was my favourite - I can remember the thrill of the annual at Christmas. I read Moira Kent (?) every week and loved the graceful ballet drawings, and the 'The Four Marys' about girls at a boarding school.

Earlier I had Beano, Topper and Dandy every week and devoured them; I think comics are fine as they do encourage children to read, and then perhaps move on to books.

Maggiemaybe Sat 13-May-17 14:22:26

I was very spoilt for a while as we lived in a Working Mens' Club, and in exchange for keeping the bingo balls in order (an arduous job that took me all of five minutes a day) the Social Secretary treated me to the Beano, Dandy, Bunty, Judy, Mandy and June & School Friend. Bunty was always my favourite. There was a lot of saintly suffering, hidden identities, and ballet. smile

Maggiemaybe Sat 13-May-17 14:30:12

Later on, I used to go to a local book exchange with my dad of a Saturday and worked my way through all the Superman, Superboy and Supergirl comics. Sadly we exchanged them every week - some of them are worth a bob or two now!

whitewave Sat 13-May-17 14:30:32

Chicks own when small and Girl when older. I also loved the Beano and Dandy but parents did not approve! So read them avidly whenever I could get hold of one - naturally.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 13-May-17 14:54:04

I loved Bunty but I can't remember a single story from it. As a teenager it was Jackie which I sometimes got fed up with. My twin my sister and I swapped comics but I'm damned if I can remember many of the titles.
However, I do recall reading 'Jane Eyre' in a comic-strip version and asking Mum if it was a 'proper book'. She said it was so I went off to the library to borrow the real thing. It was in the teenage section and it was tough at twelve to plough through an unabridged version but it remains my favourite book of all time. And I felt a bit miffed to have to pay sixpence (pre-decimal days) to join the library.

BBbevan Sat 13-May-17 14:58:16

I loved Girl and especially Lettuce Leaf. I also liked the historical biographies and remember Elizabeth Fry and Marie Curie. I always had a Girl album for Christmas and I think went to a carol concert they arranged in Cardiff.

Funnygran Sat 13-May-17 15:03:46

I read them all too - School Friend, Bunty, Girls Chrystal and Girl. Still have a couple of annuals and the Girl careers book which as someone else said makes interesting reading today. Was there also one called Swift or is my memory wrong? I seem to remember my younger brother with it before he progressed to Eagle.

Ellie Anne Sat 13-May-17 15:04:43

Loved Bunty. Always wanted to win a weaving loom but never did.

MaggieMay69 Sat 13-May-17 15:27:42

I still have all the old Annuals that I collected for my daughter, Diana, Sandie, Lion, Twinkle, Topper, Oor Wullie, Bunty, Girls Crystal, The Tufty Club, Beezer, Mandy, Dandy, Beano, and all those little mini-comics you could get for 10p...we have huge bundles, and I'm saving them for my granddaughters! Be nice to have some space back in the house again! My daughters Mum in law wrote for some of the old annuals, and still writes for womens magazines today, look out for T. Ashby! She's very good!

MaggieMay69 Sat 13-May-17 15:33:24

@Funnygran I have some old Swift copies two, from the '60's! You know, I forget why I go into the next room sometimes, but I remember the front covers of so many of these books that I read with my children! I remember one copy of Swift has two children on a sled! smile

Topcat7 Sat 13-May-17 16:42:21

My sister and I used to get Buntyour and Judy. Once we read them used to swap with our neighbours 3 boys and get the Beano, Dandy and Victor

Parsleywin Sat 13-May-17 16:44:51

Ahh! Bunty! It was delivered on, I think, a Thursday and I still remember the absolute agony of watching the delivery man so very s l o w l y pushing his bike up the hill to our house.

Like others have mentioned, I too absolutely loved the cutting-out doll to dress. I've often wondered what made it just so very exciting. Do you think it was being able to choose what she wore? We were living in times where children had very little choice about anything that affected them. We ate what we were given and wore what we were told and no one had invented "pester power"!

Funnygran Sat 13-May-17 16:50:20

MaggieMay69 same here re memory ? Childhood neighbours had two older girls and they passed on a bound book of Sunny Stories magazines which date from the late 40's. I think the father must have done the binding and I still have it although the pages are very yellow and thin now. I should pass it on to a museum I suppose as a reminder of children's reading from 60 years ago.