Gransnet forums

Chat

What was your favourite comic or character

(107 Posts)
Kacee Fri 12-May-17 11:25:08

Inspired by the topper thread. What was your favourite comic when you were younger. Mine was Bunty, used to cut out the doll and clothes from the back page. As I got older I moved on to Jackie which I loved.
Dd used to love the Beano and I still buy her the Annual every year and she is 37 smile

Skweek1 Sat 13-May-17 09:17:31

For me it was School Friend, followed as I grew older by Roxy, Romeo and Valentine.

cloverpark Sat 13-May-17 09:21:58

School Friend and at Christmas the SchoolFriend Annual. I have a bluebird badge with the letters SFBC as I belonged to the School Friend Birthday Club. I presume I had a card on each birthday though don't actually remember that.

I have a child's hanky with Dennis the Menace on, but not a School Friend one.

harrysgran Sat 13-May-17 09:25:28

Diana was one of my favourites and as I became a teenager Jackie my younger sister loved twinkle

Flossieturner Sat 13-May-17 09:29:05

Bunty for me too, I loved it. What was the name of the girl In the story on the back page? She was my favourite. I liked the cut out dolls and used to keep the outfits in an old chocolate box.

My Dad loved Comics. We used to get the Dandy and the Beano. He would giggle over them for ages. There was one that came out in the week too, but I can't remember what it was called.

Saturdays, with my dad were the best day of the week. He would buy the Revallie and TitBits and we would spend all morning reading them. Then Mince and potatoes for lunch. Next would be Looking at the Daily Mirror to pick our horses for the racing. 2d a horse and if none of our horses came in the first 3 it went on the next race. Then the wrestling, then Sauages and Bread for rea. Every week exactly the same thing for years.

Auntieflo Sat 13-May-17 09:29:32

Girl and School Friend for me, Eagle for my brother. They were delivered on a Tuesday and eagerly awaited. I used to read the Eagle, but don't know if DB read my comics.

Saggi Sat 13-May-17 09:34:12

Bunty for me.... And then Jackie. You thought you were 'grown up' when you started taking Jackie! Beano and its sister comic Dandy... I loved ' Korky the Kat' in my early childhood.My grandson takes the beans at 10 still. And I get him the Annual every Christmas. Unfortunately I can't find a good comic for 5 year old granddaughter to read that's not all 'pink and girly' and going on about fashion. She prefers collected insects and stones and digging in garden to bothering about rubbish.! Any suggestions vis-a-via a comic for her to read would be appreciated.?

Flossieturner Sat 13-May-17 09:34:31

Back in the 70s I was a childminder and in the school holidays I looked after 8 children. I used to make a huge meat pie in a roasting tin.when I carried to the table, the two brothers I minded said "wow cow pie". They used to ask every day, "Are we having cow pie today"

LouLou21 Sat 13-May-17 09:38:04

Each Friday I would get my pocket money and rush to the newsagents where if I was lucky the lady there would have sorted the days delivery and I could pick up Beano, Dandy, Topper, School Friend, Girls Crystal and Bunty, yes I spent all of my money on comics, but they gave me such pleasure. More often than not I would have to return for them on Saturday morning when they were actually due out but I could never resist trying to get them a day early At Christmas I would always get the annuals but I discovered where they were on top of the wardrobe, so would climb up and read them at every opportunity so that by Christmas I had read them all and then was very sorry on Christmas morning..

HazelGreen Sat 13-May-17 09:38:28

Girl for me and Eagle for my brother,...but I did a swop with friend for her Bunty!

Indinana Sat 13-May-17 09:42:06

I was another Bunty fan smile. I had it from its first issue, somewhere in the 50s - it came with a free scottie dog broach, one black and one white scottie. My best friend next door had Judy, so we'd swap when we'd finished reading - but not until I'd cut out the paper doll and clothes from the back page! Loved that comic, read it from cover to cover every week. Ah, memories!

GrammaH Sat 13-May-17 09:50:37

I loved Jackie & my little sister had Bunty but my best friend's big sister read Petticoat. Wow, we thought that was so grown up! Anybody else remember it?

ajanela Sat 13-May-17 10:01:30

I use to have Girl and School friend, I liked Beano and even encouraged my daughter to read by buying for her. My brothers had the Eagle and Film Fun.

harrigran Sat 13-May-17 10:05:01

Schoolfriend and then Valentine.
DH had an uncle with a newsagent's shop and he would take a copy of each comic and leave it at the grandmother's house, GC used to arrive daily to read the comics. Nice that all her GC lived close enough to be within walking distance.

Worlass Sat 13-May-17 10:06:51

Dandy delivered on Tuesday, Beano on Thursday. Never really outgrew them, but money tight, so changed to School Friend, which I used to collect from newsagent on Wednesday and read as I was walking home from school.

JanaNana Sat 13-May-17 10:06:54

I used to have the Bunty every week. Loved the Four Mary,s at St Elmo,s boarding school. Always wanted to go to a boarding school when reading this.Never did though.At Christmas was always given the Bunty annual. Can remember all the cut out dolls etc. I think my sister used to get Judy.

Balini Sat 13-May-17 10:15:32

Being a boy, mine were the Hotspur, Wizard, Adventure. There was another one but, the name eludes meat the moment. It may have been the Victor. I preferred the wartime editions. Due to the shortage of paper, the stories were printed rather than pictures. With the result, you got much longer chapters, in the individual stories. I remember some of them, The Red Circle, The Great Wilson, being two of them. smile

HurdyGurdy Sat 13-May-17 10:21:52

Bunty for the cut out doll, and then onto Jackie and Diana when I was all grown up (about 10? lol). I loved the Cathy and Claire problem page in Jackie.

My friend used to have Beano, Dandy and Topper at her house (three children - me, an only child) so I read those.

No one else has mentioned Beezer. Or have I just made that up? I seem to remember it was a big comic like Topper, rather than the smaller ones like Beano and Dandy.

Kim19 Sat 13-May-17 10:35:46

Sunny stories.......mostly Enid Blyton. Couldn't wait for Thursdays!

jeapurs54 Sat 13-May-17 10:40:24

Beano & Dandy and then progressed to Jackie & Bunty also the Ocassional Judy. Loved the Jack & Jill when I was very young.
It's nice to see that Beano has survived over the years and still seems to be quite good. I believe I also read Diana but can't be sure after all these years.

2mason16 Sat 13-May-17 10:43:00

Loved Bunty then Jackie. Also loved the American - Mad Magazine! Think it is still going.

goldengirl Sat 13-May-17 10:46:27

Girl. I still have some annuals and also a Girl book on careers - which makes for very interesting reading in today's world!

chrissie13 Sat 13-May-17 10:47:36

As far as I can remember it was Judy and one called Princess when I was younger, but mostly it was Jackie.

patriciageegee Sat 13-May-17 10:51:38

Bunty for me Judy for my sis and does anyone remember Princess which was out in the late 50's? Four Marys was my favourite in the Bunty and I still remember the ultimate put down of "you little guttersnipe" lol! Just tried to remember all the surnames but can only recall Marys Simpson, Raleigh and Cotter - can GNs help?

travelsafar Sat 13-May-17 10:51:41

Mine was Bunty and i collected the dolls and clothes on the back page. My best friend lived next door and i can recall many happy hours sitting on our front door steps with our Bunty ladies and their clothes. We both had an old biscuit tin which we used to store them. Many ended up with sellotape across their arms or on the little tags as they became frailer with use. Oh happy happy days!!!!smile

patriciageegee Sat 13-May-17 10:53:51

Sorry Chrissie 13 I pressed send before your's came up