Gransnet forums

Chat

Does my bum look big in this

(37 Posts)
Tippy22 Fri 11-Aug-17 10:13:51

Before we went out to dinner last night I tried on a new sparkly cardigan and asked my husband what he thought. He said it looked very nice. So duly got changed into the rest of my outfit, nice pair of evening trousers. When i said to my husbsnd I'm ready he turned to me and said I preferred the other trousers you were wearing - they had been my jogging bottoms!

MargaretX Sat 12-Aug-17 16:05:15

My DH is at the stage when he says 'you'll be sending it back anyway! Now I don't ask him and keep sending things back.
The sizing is impossible now.

Granny43 Sat 12-Aug-17 17:03:48

My DH picks things out of the racks in shops, if he likes them, and says "that's nice, it'll suit you" - my usual reply is "I don't want to walk about dressed like Margaret Thatcher!" Hence I take no notice of his sartorial advice!

1974cookie Sat 12-Aug-17 20:48:41

I learned a long time ago not to ask my Partner for his opinion. If he had his way ie: I would be wearing clothes like his mother used to wear.
A few years ago I had my long hair chopped off and completely restyled by my wonderful and trusted hairdresser who I gave free rein to. She then dyed it in shades of dark blond, something that I would never, ever have dared to try.
The result was amazing. My family and my friends, loved it and it really did take a few years off me. It boosted my confidence enormously, but my Partner hated it, and still does. He does like to have a dig at it now and again.
Suffice to say.
I take absolutely no notice of his opinion, and gently remind him at least I HAVE hair.
Bless him.?

Jalima1108 Sat 12-Aug-17 20:55:18

I do see men shopping for clothes with their partners and am always astonished that they take an interest! picking things out of racks confused - send him to the coffee shop!!

annifrance Sat 12-Aug-17 23:41:12

I recently asked DD f the cot I was wearing was OK at my age. Borderline, she said!

Peaseblossom Sun 13-Aug-17 12:51:11

Annifrance the cot must have been a bit hard, not to mention draughty! grin

Antonia Sun 13-Aug-17 14:56:36

When I was shopping for trousers for myself DH tried his best to be helpful. "How about these?" he asked, "it says extra large." That was not the kind of helpful assistance I was looking for.

W11girl Sun 13-Aug-17 16:01:03

Whenever I ask my husband if "I look alright in this" and he says yes, I immediately change into another outfit, as he has no taste whatsover! It has become a running joke with us!

Margs Mon 14-Aug-17 14:54:46

NEVER, EVER ask a man's opinion of your outfit/appearance - after all, they're (well, most of 'em) quite content to wear the same suit day in/day out and year in/year out.

Until it's falls to bits - and then they get a new one and the same thing happens all over again......

And any man who wears those dreadful, baggy Cargo Shorts in the summer probably can't even spell the word "fashion" never mind have a clue what it is.

f77ms Mon 14-Aug-17 14:59:06

dihut Did you take the dead pidgeon off? I absolutely hate them too , every wedding I go to all the women wear them , they look so silly . My Mum who got her words mixed up called them ` fornicators` !

sluttygran Thu 17-Aug-17 13:56:09

I've heard them called 'fabrications', 'incidentals' and 'pokey head bits' - that was DGD's description.
I really dislike fascinators, probably because I look like a circus pony in them!