Gransnet forums

Chat

Being mum to a transgender child.

(69 Posts)
Deni1963 Sun 03-Sep-17 21:11:24

In response to imperfect27 post in regards to labelling and if perhaps doing away with gender labeling blurs the lines.

My daughter aged 2 back in 1996 asked me where her willy was. Of course I told her she didn't have one as she was a girl. Her response was ' It's growing then'....
In the years she never varied. She played with boys toys, wore boyish clothes, played with boys etc. When she was 10 her period strated, and it was a case of suicide attempts, self harm, and when her breasts began to form she bound them with a belt.
We saw a psychologist who referred us to the Tavistock gender clinic. At 15 we changed her name by deed poll and correct pronouns were used. She was seen and assessed regularly until 16 when puberty blockers were given - at 18 testosterone began and 20 a double mascetomy.
My son is now 24.
You might ask why I write such a personal statement. It was the most painful experience - clinging on to a daughter that had always insisted she was a he. Watching her suffer every day. Writing letters to God to help.
I had a choice, a dead daughter or living son. Did I birth a gender or child? Did I love my child because they conformed to their gender?

Labelling is labelling, if a child is truly born into the wrong body, labelling isn't going to make a difference - it is society constantly insisting we behave in a gendered role, and society who judges so harshly when we don't fit into that box.
My son has suffered vile, hateful comments and threats. Yet he remains decent, caring and human. With feelings.

We need to accept as a society we are all different. There is nothing wrong with different. And if society were kinder those who face such challengers would not feel so alone.

I still grieve for my daughter. But he is an amazing son, whom I am so proud of for facing what has been so very difficult.

baubles Mon 04-Sep-17 18:34:59

Deni thank you for your post. It hasn't been an easy road for you and your son not to mention the rest of your family. Your pride in him shines through, I'm sure he must also be so very proud of you.

W11girl Mon 04-Sep-17 18:52:26

I am so glad that your son has found himself and is now a happy human being. He will have to put up with taunts and gibes from people who fail to understand but he will come through, believe me I know. I wish you both a happy life.

Deni1963 Mon 04-Sep-17 19:31:45

I'm so over whelmed with the positive posts in response - and it has made me realise posting was the right thing. You never know what reaction you will receive but there are similar who face the challenge.
In response to some -
Yes I often wonder how my daughter would have turned out. But there is no mental image of that. I can't imagine what she may have looked like.
@Franbern - a very small proportion continue to surgery - I think something as little as 15 per cent - one criteria is they live in the preferred gender role for 2 years, mixing in society, going to college etc, at that point a GP will write a letter supporting the young adult who will then be assessed. Blockers often for 2 years. Dependent on age. At no time is it irreversible. You can come off blockers and your hormones will kick in. Surgery is a long ardious process. Please feel free to pm me at any time.

@avalon - it is perhaps a stage that will pass. I admire you all greatly that your GS has time to just be, sometimes it is just what someone needs at that moment in time, and if your GS transitions in time it will be the same beautiful child, the world is scary, but less so with support.

@MaryXYX
Deeply saddened by this story and the utter final insult the school choose to acknowledge him under the wrong pronoun. An incredibly sad loss for the family.
A name can be changed at anytime with parental consent. My son was 15.
A birth certificate is harder.
Surgery is funded but has many loop hole's - we had to find a willing surgeon - who was private - the NHS per say don't have surgeons who do it. Once agreed you beg for funding - and it's hard. It takes a lot of research and for you to be happy with that surgeon as you only get one shot at it.
Hormone is NHS paid. That is life long. My son goes every 3 months for a testosterone injection.
I'm angry too - all you can do is lay yourself on the line and try to help a mass understand that being transgender is not a choice. It's a hard, brittle battle. I only pray the negative, uneducated voices will be drowned out by the positive.
Love to you all.

Iam64 Mon 04-Sep-17 20:06:01

Thanks for your post Denil and how good to see the positive comments that followed. The development of understanding of GLTG issues since the 1967 act decriminalised homosexuality can only be beneficial to society.

strawberrinan Mon 04-Sep-17 20:44:33

Wonderful post. I work in a school where we have had some transgender children and we are amazing with them - as are the other students. Please try and convince the entire readership of the Daily Fail comments section.

PS. What a fab Mum you are x

Granby Mon 04-Sep-17 21:56:11

Deni, I, too, have a transgender child (biologically male). Well, she's 27 now, but from the very beginning, she insisted she was a girl. I never really felt the loss of a son, because she was adamant from as soon as she could talk that she wasn't a boy. Even before she could talk, she'd put a cloth on her head, and never take it off, and eventually when she could speak, she told me it was her long hair! She, too, went to the Portman Clinic at the Tavistock, and we also attended Mermaid meetings! When she was 17, I paid for her to have reassignment surgery, privately. She now looks and sounds exactly like a biological female. She is a beautiful, funny and wise young lady, and I couldn't be more proud of her!

Morgana Mon 04-Sep-17 21:58:54

Remember reading Conundrum by Jan Morris nearly 40 Years ago. So sad that it has taken so long for trans gender issues to be discussed openly.

Nelliemaggs Mon 04-Sep-17 23:29:32

I have no personal experience here but have found the posts deeply moving and wish you all the very best.

Deni1963 Mon 04-Sep-17 23:42:54

Hi Granby - Thank you for sharing your story - and it's lovely meeting you and hearing your positive story - and hearing your daughter is happy ? it's not often I come across another mum ?

Deni1963 Mon 04-Sep-17 23:44:45

The daily FAIL comment section I avoid! Makes me wonder how on earth society can be so ignorant and cruel - I use to read every comment and reply to many.....but it was utterly depressing.

Backsup1 Tue 05-Sep-17 14:07:14

Thank you for posting this as i am going through the same situation with my 17yr old Son
He was born female but told us at 15 that he has alway's felt like a boy
We support him all the way

Backsup1 Tue 05-Sep-17 14:17:24

I forgot to add it started with him being diagnosed with asperger's
He went to councelling and has threatened to self -harm
That's when the alarm-bells were set off
He now dresses all the time in boys clothes and seems to be dead set on getting top surgery
It scare's the life out of me but all i want is for him to be happy and alive as any mother would.

Iam64 Tue 05-Sep-17 19:28:47

Backsup1 - one of my close loved ones has a diagnosis of ASD. He is very bright but socially isolated. He told me recently that he struggles with his sexuality, sometimes wears lip stick and feels better in a skirt. He added that he feels lucky with his family as none of us have criticised, tried to persuade him otherwise and all told him whatever, we'll always love him. He's in his mid 20's and we don't know what's next
I read recently that young people on the ASD are more likely to be anxious about their sexuality/be transgender. I plan to read more about this. We know relatively little about this area because it's been something people have felt needed to be kept quiet or seen in terms of Musical Hall in movies like Tootsie or Some Like it Hot. We're moving into learning and accepting 'difference' thanks to the LGBT community having a higher profile and living in a more tolerant society.

Deni1963 Tue 05-Sep-17 19:30:12

Please PM me. You're not alone x

Backsup1 Wed 06-Sep-17 00:09:24

Iam64 please pm me thank you.

MaryXYX Wed 06-Sep-17 19:43:29

There is a strong overlap between Asperger's and being transgender - in the wide sense. I'm not sure about a connection with sexuality, but Aspies are used to failing to fit in with society, and are often not good at keeping secrets. That might mean LGB Aspies are more noticeable.

Iam64 Thu 07-Sep-17 07:46:32

I don't know about more noticeable Mary. The piece I read that suggested that ASD people are represented more than non ASD people in clinics supporting transgender people. I do agree with you though, that ASD people having learned from childhood that they don't 'fit in' may be a factor. Remember the days when aversive therapies were used to try and stop gay men being attracted to men. Progress and understanding is so important.

MaryXYX Fri 08-Sep-17 14:13:01

I do make a distinction between LGB people and transgender people. Both the Aspie support group and the transgender support group I belong to support the theory of the high overlap. The part about the LGB community is just my theory.