Gransnet forums

Chat

What a lot of miserable old buggers some of you are!

(132 Posts)
Anya Wed 08-Nov-17 10:50:29

I’ll post then run for the hills ???

Just reading through threads this morning and left asking ‘is it me?’

An example, someone comes up with an idea they are really keen on and at least half the posters rain on their parade. Or someone is asking for advice and off some of us go just talking about ourselves and ignoring the OP’s request. Reminds me of those ‘friends’ (ex-friends) who monopolise the conversation.

Then there’s those who seem to think you and on the downward side of the hill after you hit 70 and are getting rid of ‘stuff’ from their lives, presumably in expectation of shuffling off this mortal coil in the not too distance future. Now I’m not a hoarder by any means and anything that wasn’t beautiful, useful or had sentimental value was ditched along the way even when I was young. So what is their point now?

Then there’s the old sparring partners who’ve been getting digs (and sometimes ‘slings and arrows’) at a particular poster who they fell out with in 1066 and seem to live for the chance to twist the knife.

And of course, extremely irritating, those who don’t read the thread and other posts and say exactly what I’ve just said as if they had just had the most amazing idea. And even more irritating those who comment on that post ‘that’s a great idea why didn’t someone else think if thst?’ (they did - me ?) making it a double whammy. Grrrr...

Then, there those with a listening ear, a bit of common sense and, above all, logic ....thank god.

Chewbacca Wed 08-Nov-17 13:59:02

Beautifully articulated Anya! grin

Auntieflo Wed 08-Nov-17 14:24:59

Maryeliza is trying to cheer you up, on another thread. grin

NanKate Wed 08-Nov-17 14:47:51

I read the title to the thread and thought I wonder who said that, whilst having a quiet giggle.

I then saw it was my old mucker Anya and yet again thought, this is going to be a fun thread. ?

Alima Wed 08-Nov-17 15:18:38

.....and to make a point, in RL a conversation could start off on say the price of butter, meander on to OHs bad habits and end up on the imminent gas boiler check. See what I mean?

GillT57 Wed 08-Nov-17 15:23:31

Yes but we are all part of life's rich tapestry with our quirks and pettiness and wisdom and ........but I am not old!.Grumpy sometimes (usually justifiably so!) but I have this mixture of exasperation and affection for everyone on GN. On my wedding day, someone said to me that I was now a respectable married woman,I replied that 2 out of 3 wasn't bad. So I am now 2 out of 3 on the grumpy old woman scale. I hope

Smithy Wed 08-Nov-17 15:42:57

Well I hope Anya feels better forgetting that off her chest, but to be fair she does raise valid criticism and I for one can't dispute most of what she says. I can't take offence except like most of you don't see myself as old. So let's all be more tolerant, express your true thoughts but don't run down others for doing the same. And maybe a bit less moaning over things that don't really matter. Just saying.

Day6 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:12:22

I am just polishing my halo! I am in the clear as this is my first post today. grin

Now, can I pour oil on troubled waters anywhere ? Heh heh! wink

lemongrove Wed 08-Nov-17 16:19:21

Day6 save the oil for any political thread? wink

Bridgeit Wed 08-Nov-17 16:23:34

Brilliant Anya, you've hit the nail on the head,do you think we allow our dark side to come out just because we don't know each other & will never meet , it's like the anonymity let's us behave badly. I certainly end up feeling a bit down at times & wonder why I bother.

Day6 Wed 08-Nov-17 16:30:50

Oh heck lemon! I have to gird my loins before going in there! grin

I have to be in the right frame of mind too. There are some days when I just cannot be bothered to interrupt the conversation of the regulars.

Today I have a guilty conscience about all the stuff I must decide what to do with and all the jobs I really must get round to but can't be bothered doing. Arguing current affairs/politics isn't on the radar today. Sometimes it's just too much like hard work and seems like a waste of energy bothering posting anything. If this was newspaper instead of a screen all our efforts would be tomorrow's fish and chip wrappers, wouldn't they? (If we still wrapped chips in newspaper that is.)

I need to summon up the energy to dig out the vacuum cleaner. No, I don't think it's going to happen today. wink

lemongrove Wed 08-Nov-17 16:33:12

Yes, this is all virtual fish and chip paper, and will be binned before long.

Nonnie Wed 08-Nov-17 17:01:56

Oh Anya I agree and in particular:
"And of course, extremely irritating, those who don’t read the thread and other posts and say exactly what I’ve just said as if they had just had the most amazing idea. And even more irritating those who comment on that post ‘that’s a great idea why didn’t someone else think if thst?’ (they did - me ?) making it a double whammy. Grrrr..."

It sometimes feels like I have been in a conversation, said my important bit and no on took any notice as soon after they brought up exactly my point.

I don't spend as much time on gn as some so when I look in 'Last hour' if I see a thread has loads of posts I simply don't read it as I won't want to read through it all and wouldn't feel it fair to comment if I haven't. There is a recent exception where, rather than read all the posts, I simply PM'd the OP with my message.

Looking at your first line, should I expect a visit?

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 17:32:35

I have come across some Very Grumpy People in RL recently - and all have been male!!

No doubt the men on GN will soon be here to defend themselves and tell us that they are always positive, optimistic and helpful in a non-partisan way
grin

Nelliemoser Wed 08-Nov-17 17:58:34

Gillybob My husbands idea of of some clutter is "this womans" nightmare of a hoarder.

Christinefrance Wed 08-Nov-17 18:05:39

I can relate to some of your comments Anya and I am sure I am guilty of some of the misdemeanours. It would be boring if we were all relentlessly cheerful, but hope misery does not prevail. Hey ho soon be the festive season ?

Baggs Wed 08-Nov-17 18:07:32

What's a black-cator?

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:13:15

black-cator confused
but then I admit I haven't read all the posts blush shock

Bluegal Wed 08-Nov-17 18:13:24

As they say Anya....it takes all sorts. I don't think anyone is right or wrong with what they say.... Its all individual perception.

No two people will ever agree 100 pc with each other on every subject, even the best of friends!

That's what makes us so unique!

The ability to 'listen' is probably the best gift anyone can have, much better than the ability to speak.

I don't think anybody needs to feel superior or inferior and yes, some people get on my nerves and some I understand to a point, some I will NEVER understand ...but why worry..... Everyone, jogs along regardless and some people really ARE happy being miserable wink

Just be you

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:13:57

Fish and chips is just not the same without lemon
wink

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 18:16:43

ah Alima mentioned black-cators

got it now smile

A black catter is someone who will always claim to be better than or able to outdo you. As in 'if I had a black cat, he'd have a blacker one'.

Note that it says he

kittylester Wed 08-Nov-17 18:27:38

Well! Relating to the op, I'm peed off. Some people are repeating what I said and then other people are crediting them with a good idea.

And I'm feeling really nowty about it!

Alima Wed 08-Nov-17 18:27:56

Thanks Jalima!

Anya Wed 08-Nov-17 18:57:01

Well....interesting reactions. Oddly enough those who are examining themselves and wondering ‘was she talkng about me?’ by in large are in the not-guilty box - simply because they are wondering.

In reply to Maw I usually do distance myself from you, don’t I! ?

What I can’t believe is that the majority of those I’m talking about were growing up in the 60s, but it seems to have passed them by entirely.

What happened to the generation that spawned the Rolling Stones, or the Beatles? Those who marched in support of CND, demanded the USA stop using napalm in Vietnam, insisted that the colour of a persons skin did not matter?

What happened to generation who bought Vesta Chow Mein, wore American Tan tights with bright pink mini skirts, and clung onto the back of the boyfriends scooter or motor bike if you were a rocker?

Have we really becoming a generation of moaning Minnies, castigating the younger generation and drawing up the drawbridge so we can wither away into a grumpy old age?

kittylester Wed 08-Nov-17 19:02:51

Not me Anya, I hope and, as point of information, I wasn't a rocker! grin

But I'm still peed off about being ignored!

loopyloo Wed 08-Nov-17 19:04:08

No , we are here, finding ways to enjoy ourselves, and meeting other interesting people. And also helping following generations learn musical instruments etc.
But I tell you this I spent the Sixties straitening my hair, and I am not going to waste another decade doing that.