Gransnet forums

Chat

Meltdown in the supermarket!

(81 Posts)
sunseeker Mon 18-Dec-17 15:18:57

I have been a widow for 6 years and whilst I do get some bad moments most of the time I am OK. Today in the supermarket the usual Christmas songs were being played (which more or less washed over me), then they played Elvis' Blue Christmas (DH was an Elvis fan) so I started thinking about him then at the end of the song Elvis says "Merry Christmas darling wherever you are" and I lost it - there I was in the middle of the bread aisle, tears rolling down my face desperately trying to find a corner where I could pull myself together. Has anyone else had an embarrassing meltdown in public?

MissAdventure Wed 20-Dec-17 23:49:14

I was given the 'therapyforyou' card, so I could refer myself. The woman told me that they are unable to help me, as they deal with mental health issues rather than grief.

Marmight Thu 21-Dec-17 03:15:53

Like Greengage emotions jump out and surprise me. I still have the 'odd moment' nearly 6 years on since DH died. If it happens in public, I just snivel away and if I meet anyone I know, plead hayfever or a cold, but I know they know and everyone is very sympathetic ... I have only recently been able to listen to classical music again and still haven't rejoined the choir. Anything emotional like that sets me off....Seeing couples doing whatever together be it shopping, dining out, on holiday, moving house, laughing or just innocently walking down the street arm in arm, gives me a ridiculous feeling of 'its not fair'. Knowing those days are past and looking into the abyss of a completely different and lone future is achingly hard to bear particularly at this time of the year. I have always said that being surrounded by people - friends and family - can be one of the loneliest places.
As for bereavement counselling, it didn't do anything for me in fact made me feel worse but I'm sure it would be of benefit to some people.

travelsafar Thu 21-Dec-17 08:03:22

keffie 'tears are the blood of an emotional wound.' You are right that is why we have tear ducts.

Greengage Thu 21-Dec-17 10:32:28

Marmight I understand your feelings. I have however always been okay in my own company so although alone, I have not really felt loneliness as such. Quite by chance I have met a man (recently widowed) whom I now see about once a month and whose company I enjoy enormously. We both miss our other halves but have a new friendship which seems to be meaningful to both of us. I am no spring chicken and this was the last thing I had ever expected to happen to me. You never know what the future holds.

Marmight Thu 21-Dec-17 20:05:01

Greengage. That's lovely! Good luck to you both. I'm more used to being alone now but would just like to have somebody to do nothing with occasionally. As you say, who knows!