Gransnet forums

Chat

The world cup

(354 Posts)
gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 07:00:19

Thoroughly enjoyed watching the opening match last night with my 8 year old footy mad grandson .
And what a match it was too, 5-0 to the hosts Russia . The Saudis might not have been on the pitch at all .

Teresa May has stepped in to say that the Royal Mail workers and others should be allowed to fly the English flag during the tournament, after the misery guts at RM banned it’s workers from doing so. Quite right too .

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 11:46:32

I can’t believe that no one else is interested in the World Cup .

Oh well ?

Waterloosunset Fri 15-Jun-18 12:26:21

I enjoy it too! Didn’t see it yesterday but will be watching.......

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 13:09:47

Phew.... I thought maybe I was the only one interested waterloosunset smile

Looking forward to the Portugal v Spain game .

Alima Fri 15-Jun-18 13:20:28

Looking forward to Spain v Portugal this evening, will no doubt watch it with a bag of Malteezers. Plus DH of course. (Used to like watching Luis Figo, not sure about Christiano the twerp Ronaldo).
Good for TM letting the RM employees fly the flag. Saw the first England flags of the tournament this morning on a car, is it a bit more low key this time?

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 13:24:18

My DGS (8) worships the ground he walks on Alima . shock. I joke that he has to have his make up retouched and have his hair redone at half time, but he doesn’t bite.

I think it’ll be a close game .

Alima Fri 15-Jun-18 13:27:33

I know, a twerp but a damn good footballer!

nonnasusie Fri 15-Jun-18 13:28:43

Not much interest here as Italy didn't qualify ?.

hildajenniJ Fri 15-Jun-18 13:39:48

What a lot of empty seats. It's such a shame that the Russian football supporters are being priced out of attending. Apparently the ticket prices are out of reach of most of the ordinary people. Egypt, Uraguay no score at present.

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 13:44:01

I can’t watch during the day, as we don’t have a TV licence at work :-(

Riverwalk Fri 15-Jun-18 13:58:11

I'm interested! smile

I'm basically neutral watching Egypt v Uruguay but supporting Eqypt as they're the underdog, and it's always more interesting to be on one side or the other!

Gilly you can watch on your PC via the BBC website - just have to declare that you have a TV licence in the UK.

Rufus2 Fri 15-Jun-18 14:03:55

I can’t believe that no one else is interested in the World Cup

Gillybob; Don't you believe it! We're mad about it Down Under.
It will be evening peak on TV at kick-off, on Sat. although the local version of "footy", rugby union and Cardiff cricket together with France v Socceroos will also be live on each of four of our TV channels all at the same time. confused
So all you soccer tragics and Black Adder fans get together and boo the French. grin

In return I promise to switch allegiance to England in due course. I can't be fairer than that; you know it makes sense. smile
Let's hear it for the Aussies!

Good Health

felice Fri 15-Jun-18 14:14:06

Lots happening here in Belguim, DGS has just discovered football, DD and I are Rugby fans but we had to give in as it is not a sport much played here.
Looking forward to the England - Belguim match, as a Scottish/Belgian I will be rooting for Belguim.

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 14:31:41

Not sure if I can with it bring a workplace river looking into it as I speak though . I signed a declaration to say we do not have TV at work or else I would have to get a ridiculously expensive licence. I get pestered regularly by the tv licensing people .

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 14:31:53

Being not bring !

Riverwalk Fri 15-Jun-18 14:41:50

I think the work place thing gilly is something to do with 'pubic' broadcasting, say if you were running a pub and inviting customers to view, on a commercial basis.

Try going to the BBC site, then I-Player and there it is - I just did it!

Maybe attempt it on a PC/laptop that you haven't used before.

I work away from home quite a bit and never have a problem logging on to the BBC website and watching live programmes.

chelseababy Fri 15-Jun-18 14:48:43

Uruguay just scored in 89th minute!

Rufus2 Fri 15-Jun-18 14:48:53

I get pestered regularly by the tv licensing people

Only one way out of your dilemma, Gillybob.
Emigrate to OZ. grin
No TV licences needed here, most programmes are "free-to-air" and you can have any number of TV sets.
It's TV heaven for addicts. smile

Good Health and Good Watching.

Waterloosunset Fri 15-Jun-18 14:53:34

Yes nonnasusie, I too will miss the Italian flair very much!

hildajenniJ Fri 15-Jun-18 14:55:24

Rufus, I'm coming!!! Do you have a spare room? grin

DanniRae Fri 15-Jun-18 15:03:12

Hoorah, I have Uruguay in my daughter's sweepstake and we just won!!

Maggiemaybe Fri 15-Jun-18 15:05:37

I'm not a football fan, but always got caught up in the excitement of the big tournaments when our DS was young. I really enjoyed marking off the scores on the wallchart and charting the progress of our fantasy football teams. I won a trip for him and DH to the World Cup Final in Paris by, bizarrely, estimating how many Wotsits would fit in a football (estimating by cutting one open and filling it up with the things!). I'm looking forward to 2022, when my DGS will all be old enough to take an interest. smile

Eloethan Fri 15-Jun-18 17:28:50

I'm not really interested in sports and find football especially boring.

The only sports I do quite like are gymnastics and ice skating.

gillybob Fri 15-Jun-18 17:42:39

Sounds ideal Rufus2 ! I do have a TV licence at home ( just in case anyone thinks I’m fiddling) but I don’t think it covers the workplace even if I am sitting all on my own which I do most days . Just googled it River and it’s confusing . I think it means I can watch on my phone ( a bit small) but not on a screen that’s plugged into the mains?? Would be just my luck to get caught watching it on the computer and get fined .

chelseababy Fri 15-Jun-18 17:57:23

Now Iran score in 95th minute!