Gransnet forums

Chat

How to scare DH

(59 Posts)
Nannykay Sun 15-Jul-18 23:00:41

We sat in front of the tv this evening, watching outlander, I was munching on some grapes, one foot on the puff the other flopped on the floor, I was very comfy. So, I feel a tickle on my foot, the one on the floor, so I think, stupid fly, and wiggle my foot. Seconds later it tickles again so I wiggle, this goes on for a few minutes before I look down, I had just bitten into a juicy grape, so when I looked down and there was the biggest, blackest spider on my leg, I took a deep breath to scream and chocked on the juice !.

Poor hubby, frightened him to death, the sight of me hitting my leg with the cushion, and face going purple.

I’m not sure how it all got sorted, but sort it he did,

Strange thing is, I can know see the funny side, but he just keeps growling at me.

Outlander was good though

jusnoneed Mon 16-Jul-18 07:56:14

Glad you both survived the incident!!

Bit worrying that big black spiders are about indoors already, usually start looking out for them a bit later in the year.

Teetime Mon 16-Jul-18 08:38:38

Eugh!!! September is spider time isn't it. DH loves them gives them names and encourages them to live uder the furniture - the big ones always get called Cedric. When I alert! him to the presence of one in a room he says 'oh he's been there ages, not doing you any harm'.

Maybelle Mon 16-Jul-18 08:57:23

So glad you are ok. I hate spiders, used to scream and leave the room waiting for DH to deal with them.
But as he is now not able to kill them, unless they are sitting quietly in the middle of the room where he can run over them in the wheelchair, I am promoted to chief spider officer.
I just dispose if the big ones with a slipper and put the small ones down the bottom of the garden !
But I do miss screaming . . .

M0nica Mon 16-Jul-18 09:02:21

Story in DM today of containers of tarantulas abandoned in a forest car park in Derbyshire. They think the cold - if and when it arrives - will do for them, but at the moment..............

JujuD Mon 16-Jul-18 11:10:27

Pest spray from a pet shop, best spider spray ever!

CrazyGrandma2 Mon 16-Jul-18 11:13:20

You need a 'spider picker upper' - long handle, soft brush on end so spider doesn't get hurt. A really good invention!

mabon1 Mon 16-Jul-18 11:30:36

JujuD. How cruel, everything wants to live.

Penygirl Mon 16-Jul-18 11:37:58

I have one of those spider catcher gadgets too. It’s brilliant and I can now finally deal with an intruder myself instead of pestering DH to catch it.

MawBroon Mon 16-Jul-18 11:44:16

Oh dear.
One woman spider patrol here and have been for many years.
The upturned glass and postcard trick usually does it although for really big hairy ones I “squish” them into the bristles of a soft broom then bang it outside on the patio. A wheeze I learned over 50 years ago when au pairing in a house deep in the woods near Stuttgart. I used to have to deal with at least three or four every night before I went to bed. ???? are us!

Persistentdonor Mon 16-Jul-18 11:57:28

I do hate spiders but they eat a lot of insects, so they are very useful and should not be squished. sad

mcem Mon 16-Jul-18 12:01:04

I go with the glass and card technique and have demonstrated it to the GCs. Would hate them to think it's ok to kill spiders.

Telly Mon 16-Jul-18 12:21:38

I have a spider catcher where you squeeze a handle and it opens up the bristles, you release the handle and it grabs them, you then can take it outside unharmed. It actually works for most small creatures, even flies and wasps. Worth a try. But on your leg, that's too much!

Lostmyglassesxx Mon 16-Jul-18 12:33:23

Aaaaggghhh .... not yet please ..September is the month of terror normally

HillyN Mon 16-Jul-18 12:49:21

If you have a phobia of spiders skip this post!
I remember when I was very pregnant with DD1 being aware of a spider running across my pillow in the night! I switched on the light and went to get the tooth mug and some paper to remove it. By the time I got back it had gone- I lifted the pillows and had a look round but couldn't see it so went back to bed.
Next morning when I woke up I discovered it squashed in the bed under my bump!

dragonfly46 Mon 16-Jul-18 12:52:54

I give all my spiders names. I love them!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 16-Jul-18 12:58:11

My mother was horribly afraid of spiders, but I inherited my father's not scared attitude to them, so I have been "spider-remover in chief" since I was about five.

Stick them out in the garden and Daddy-long-legs too.

MawBroon Mon 16-Jul-18 13:02:03

No actual ???are harmed in the “squishing” * persistentdonor* if the broom is a soft one. When I bang the broom head on the patio it dislodges them and they run away!

sue01 Mon 16-Jul-18 13:43:39

I am utterly terrified of them. Totally phobic.

We live by a stream and when he finds them, my DH always takes them over the other side, to the far bank... assuming they can't find their way back.

Recently he was disposing of a large "Harry"... and bumped in to our neighbour... who was doing exactly the same - but with a mouse.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 16-Jul-18 13:49:03

At least you can, with a swipe, eliminate spiders. My problem are the winged blighters that fly in my house at dusk, this time of year ,and are the ones you see cows flicking their tails at or settling on cow pats in the fields around where I live. Many that I don't suck up through the hose on my vacuum cleaner settle on the beams in my kitchen. Only in the the morning do you observe the ones you missed by their disgusting black marks on my work surfaces. I can expect this to continue to, and from previous experience,the end of September.

NonnaW Mon 16-Jul-18 13:50:39

I’ve always gone by the mantra “if you want to live and thrive, let a spider run alive”. I tend to call them either Boris or Sammy but I am getting fed up with them monopolising the en-suite. There are rather too many now. I too use the card and receptacle for disposing of them.

Lilylaundry Mon 16-Jul-18 14:59:45

Each September I collect ripe conkers and put one in each corner of every room (and bin last years). I have never been bothered with spiders but that may have nothing to do with the conkers and something to do with living in a first floor flat. Maybe the spiders cannot be bothered to climb up the spout.

Lilyflower Mon 16-Jul-18 15:32:57

I have arachnophobia. It is the most common phobia and affects up to 10% of the population. It is believed to be a once rational response to toxic spiders which now, no longer inhabit the UK.

It is no joke if you have it.

Willow500 Mon 16-Jul-18 16:06:15

Not sure which is worse - the spider or choking on a grape (lucky it was only the juice)!! I've just read the story of the tarantulas in Derbyshire too - very scary. I have a pyramid shaped spider catcher with a trapdoor on it which is also good for little mice but it wouldn't fit a great big hairy tarantula in it!!

gmelon Mon 16-Jul-18 16:20:37

We bought a house that had been empty for some time.
There is fields directly to one side and the back and the road ends in agricultural land.

The bath was full of layers of big black, crispy, dead spiders.
All the same type. My husband shovelled them out with the coal shovel.

He finished doing the spider removal and I started cleaning the bath. There was a black mass of crispy spider bits blocking the plughole and more swirling in the water.