Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite jewellery

(36 Posts)
NanKate Fri 14-Sep-18 08:10:43

I love the costume jewellery I have collected over the years. I never spend much and can source it through Charity shops, Antique centres and Fairs.

My latest acquisitions are Art Deco both Bakelite which was all the fashion in those times. One is a a predominately purple butterfly brooch which DH is giving me later this month for my birthday. The other is what you would call a statement piece with black and white beads the shape of tubular pasta and then at the base a black and white bird. Now it isn’t to everyone’s taste, but I love it.

I notice Prue Leith on Bake Off wears statement jewellery but hers is pricey I would think.

Do you have any favourite jewellery you like to wear ?

travelsafar Sat 15-Sep-18 21:02:39

I dont really do jewellery but I always wear a gold chain with a small drop containing a diamond that my mum bought me one year for Christmas, I never take it off, I love it so much.
Always wear half hoop earings too as my ears are pierced and of course my wedding ring.My eternity ring and engagement ring are both in a box as my knuckles are so swollen now with arthritis that i can't get them off very easily if i need to.

kittylester Sat 15-Sep-18 21:17:57

I always wear my wedding and engagement rings and a diamond ring dh had designed for our 40th wedding anniversary.

I have other nice diamond rings which I wear sometimes and a few nice silver bracelets and a heart shaped silver necklace but I love beads of all sorts!

annodomini Sat 15-Sep-18 22:19:44

I always wear my granny's engagement ring, dated May 1904 and with granny's and grandpa's initials inside. It's a simple row of little diamonds but very sparkly.
A favourite piece is an antique amethyst and seed pearl pendant which my mother gave me for my 21st. With a small legacy she left me 22 years later, I bought a pair of earrings which match it perfectly. I have loads of earrings and feel undressed without them.

Apricity Sun 16-Sep-18 01:52:31

I love to buy modestly priced jewellery when I travel, it's such a lovely reminder of a trip and light to carry if overseas. I just wear necklaces and earrings these days, no rings, osteo in finger joints and 'granny freckles' on my hands sorted that out. My granddaughters love my necklaces, one made of painted wooden balls is known as Nonna's balls.

NanKate Sun 16-Sep-18 07:30:34

If we lived near each other Mary I suspect we would trawl the antiques/vintage stalls together and come back with quite a haul.

One of the 9 items is for a friend which I hope she likes.

Since watching Bargain Hunt I always get them to knock some money off, I could never have done that a year or two back.

Marydoll Sun 16-Sep-18 15:10:22

My husband bought me this for our ruby wedding anniversary last year. The photo does not do it justice. It is a raspberry coloured 4 carat ruby.
I was totally shocked, but I absolutely love it.

Chewbacca Sun 16-Sep-18 15:17:34

Wow Marydoll that's a stunner all right! I love the simplicity of the setting, so that it's the beautifully cut ruby that is the show stopper. You could wear that anywhere, it's so classic. Lucky girl!

Marydoll Sun 16-Sep-18 15:19:23

Yes! However, he must have a Swiss bank account, I know nothing of! ?

NanKate Sun 16-Sep-18 16:14:57

Fabulous Mary. I have never posted a photo on GN before. I am hoping once DH has downloaded them from his IPhone onto my main computer I will be able to show you some of my latest acquisitions.

Oh to be married to a multi millionaire like your DH Mary ?

Marydoll Sun 16-Sep-18 16:44:50

He used to be, until he met me! grin

He must have been saving for along time to buy it. ?