Gransnet forums

Chat

In the interest of market research.....

(107 Posts)
Chewbacca Tue 02-Oct-18 15:18:29

I have been to Aldi today and they've just started to get some of their Christmas foods in stock. Obviously, I wasn't going to even look at them but wait..... they had boxes of Violet Creams in Dark Chocolate. Purely in the interest of market research, and with your best interest at heart, I bought a box and scoffed them the minute I'd unpacked my shopping. They were gorgeous! I did this as an act of altruism because I'd never have forgiven myself if any of you had considered buying some and they hadn't been divine. Just £1.49 a box. They had Rose Creams too which might also need to be investigated on your behalf. See how good to you I am? grin

Chewbacca Tue 02-Oct-18 22:57:37

grin

lemongrove Tue 02-Oct-18 23:06:58

See what you’ve started? tchwink

Chewbacca Tue 02-Oct-18 23:22:33

blush

Marthjolly1 Tue 02-Oct-18 23:40:57

Noooooo I've been doing so well resisting every sort of temptation since weighing in above the target but reading of all these sinful products has me drooling. I'll just have to give in to rose creams, and violet creams, and florentines, and cherry liqueurs ?

Day6 Wed 03-Oct-18 01:09:48

Oh Chewbacca - what a truly noble gesture! Thank you! You must have felt so poorly after scoffing the chocs but you continued in the name of research. Such sacrifice. grin

They sound interesting. I am not a great chocolate lover but I highly recommend the Belgian white chocolate and champagne truffles in either Lidl or Aldi. Sold last year and they were delicious. There weren't many in the box but I ate the lot! Again, a bit of personal market research.

Willow500 Wed 03-Oct-18 06:42:12

I'd hate you all to be sampling these atrocities alone so in the name of fairness I will need to make a trip to Aldi and report back. As I can't taste them I can comment on the beautiful presentation and aesthetic appearance of both the violet and rose chocs and will have to put the diet aside to let you know the texture of both the soft centres and the bitterness of the dark chocolate grin

kittylester Wed 03-Oct-18 07:02:06

Is there an opening in your organisation for a tester if bubbles? I'm happy to do all forms and report back. wine

Nana3 Wed 03-Oct-18 08:49:42

Jalima, in the middle aisles are things that you think you can't live without like power tools or camping equipment grin special offers that change each week. They used to send me a leaflet encouraging me to hurry there and not to miss out but for some reason they don't now.

gerry86 Wed 03-Oct-18 10:13:37

Could you try and find some chocolate covered toffee for me as part of your research please. Not that horrible salted caramel sort.

Lupatria Wed 03-Oct-18 10:22:29

i'm off to aldi too! i love those chocolates and i also love the florentines. cherries in brandy? i'll give them a try.
i've bought their stollen every year for years and other christmassy things too.
i'm going to start stocking up on the choclatey things and nuts, dates and anything else which will last until christmas [well, they'll last if i put them away somewhere and try to forget about them].
christmas shopping will be starting soon in this house although i've already sorted my wish list on amazon for the christmas presents - got to wait until i'm in funds before getting them though.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 03-Oct-18 10:24:02

Chewbacca. Do Aldi stock those moreish Fondant Creams as I haven't seen them on any supermarket shelves for many years?

Doversole Wed 03-Oct-18 10:26:31

Chewy, I would appreciate you tracking down and reviewing the Turkish Delights please. When you get a moment.

lizzy67 Wed 03-Oct-18 10:27:46

Alll right,
I've read everyone's comments and have decided to get off my lazy a**e and go down to Aldi's. It's not far away. I'll stock up, pushing other oldies out of the way!
Will report back soon!

maryeve Wed 03-Oct-18 10:39:56

Had a real problem getting hold of coffee creams last Xmas...so if you see any please let me know...not that they make it to Xmas day..well I would have to offer them round!!!!! ?

Patticake123 Wed 03-Oct-18 10:40:08

If only there were more people like you in the world ?! Such self sacrifice, such altruism, such an absolute delight to read!

David1968 Wed 03-Oct-18 10:40:34

Chewbacca, purely in the interest of research, and if it's convenient for you, please can you check out the Aldi chocolate Santas? I've always found these to be decent chocolate and great gifts, but I've always had to check one first...

HootyMcOwlface Wed 03-Oct-18 10:45:04

Yes maryeve I would like some coffee creams too. So if you see any chewy ... Got some Thornton's ones last year (& was very excited about it) but they were very bland not much flavour at all! Disappointing. sad

annsixty Wed 03-Oct-18 10:45:30

Well all I can say is, if all these things sell out before I get a chance to shop I shall be very cross indeed and I might have to tittletattle to someone in authority so there?

GrandmasueUK Wed 03-Oct-18 10:46:34

Ooh last year in Aldi they had the word Festive made out of chocolate, with raisins. They were huge letters and very sickly. I could only greedily scoff manage to eat one but I'm hoping they do them again this year!

Rosina Wed 03-Oct-18 10:59:45

I have tears of gratitude in my eyes, and a lump in my throat which, sadly, is not a violet cream. Thank you so much for that selfless act.

mabon1 Wed 03-Oct-18 11:07:14

Do you realise how bad a whole box of chocs is for your health and how greedy you sound, then to be encouraging others? Purely in the interest of health!!!!!

Jalima1108 Wed 03-Oct-18 11:11:20

confused
SOH failure?

Nonnie Wed 03-Oct-18 11:24:21

Just read that there is a chocolate festival in Birmingham in a couple of weeks, might just go and do some research there. Of course that will only be so I can report back to you all.

Teacheranne Wed 03-Oct-18 11:24:51

Oh no, I will now have to go to Aldi to get some chocolate liquor cherries, I love them! They taste the same as those sold in M&S and also look identically wrapped but at a fraction of the price.

Last year I bought 10 boxes to give to all the female family members ( I now give gift vouchers and a token present to everyone as shopping is too much for me) but by the time I came to wrap them, I only had two boxes left, Aldi had run out so I had to buy something else! As I live on my own, there was no one else to blame for the missing boxes!

On a serious note, I recently discovered that you can order many of the Aldi special deals online before they get into the shops although they don't send out the orders until the shops get them. When they have their craft and wool deals, only twice a year, my local shops sell out very quickly so it is fantastic to be able to pre order. Postage used to be free but now I think you have to spend £30 to get it free - not a problem for me when crafty things are on offer!

Granny23 Wed 03-Oct-18 11:27:02

Was in Aldi on Monday doing the regular weekly shop, with no intention of looking at Christmassy things. Then I spotted the bite sized stollen. I can confirm they are as good as they were last year and will allow allow myself one pack a week until Christmas, then stock up on the reduced ones after New Year.

I also bought 2 pairs of XL men's PJ's for the Christmas Eve bags from the middle aisle and will probably continue to buy something each week as they appear .