Gransnet forums

Chat

What're your bad habits?

(91 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Tue 30-Apr-19 01:13:16

And I mean ones which by your own judgement, rather than anyone else's, you would rather not have.

I run hot, soapy washing up water and then walk away because it's just a wee bit too hot for my hands, and then forget so that when I get back to it, it's cold. angry

I hate wearing rubber gloves, so that isn't the answer. A timer is and I have one - but I forget to set it grin

So, what little imperfections do you admit to?

EllanVannin Tue 30-Apr-19 11:33:59

Good to see that we're all normal ! I can relate to many other things written here too. The great unfinished !
I was going to Asda an hour ago------see what I mean ?

paddyann Tue 30-Apr-19 11:49:45

Annie we have something in common.I wont/cant let anyone tell me what to do.I'm an adult have a decent level of intelligence and am perfectly capable of running my life how I want to.I cant control anything else that gonig on the world much as I would like to but I can control my own life .

kittylester Tue 30-Apr-19 11:59:23

I'm a bit of a control freak. I don't mean that everyone has to do as I say but that I need to know that all is under control. If things are not 'sorted' I feel a need to sort them so keep coming up with suggestions whether anyone wants me to or not.

I think it was having 5 children, big house, big garden, dogs, cats, rabbits that all had to be organised by me but I never resorted to a Captain Von Trapp type whistle! grin

grannyactivist Tue 30-Apr-19 12:06:48

I find that being with people all day I need to unwind, so after doing my late-night admin I then come on GN or go on to a genealogy site and before I know it it's two o'clock in the morning and I'm creeping up to bed. I know I should go to bed at a reasonable hour, but I rarely do.

fizzers Tue 30-Apr-19 12:16:14

I go along with lack of motivation, I put things off to the very last minute and then end cursing myself for doing so, I also have anxiety and am constantly worrying and plagued with 'what ifs' Ohh and am terribly untidy - can never find anything

grandtanteJE65 Tue 30-Apr-19 12:27:48

I have got into the bad habit of interrupting other people while they are speaking. I seem to have caught it from DH, but that really isn't any excuse, is it?

Glammy57 Tue 30-Apr-19 12:44:24

Nannylovesshopping- thanks for the laugh! ?

Grandma70s Tue 30-Apr-19 12:46:24

Not sure whether it can be seen as a habit exactly, but I am terribly pessimistic. I always expect the worst, see the bad outcomes before I can be persuaded there might be a good outcome. At least that way I only get nice surprises.

moggie57 Tue 30-Apr-19 13:17:40

i hate rubber gloves...got a list of items to do ,family history is my next big job ,all done but just needs writing out properly.clean the windows .general clean out and sell my valuable items on ebay...and get out more and go walking....

MamaCaz Tue 30-Apr-19 13:19:16

Untidiness!

It's the bedroom that I can't keep tidy. I don't like to put clothes to wash for the sake of it, but don't aways want to wear the same things two days running. Also, depending on the weather and the different activities i'm doing, I might change outfits several times a day.

The thing is, I always have better things to do with my time than fold/hang up and put away all these clothes between 'wears', so they end up in a big, untidy heap on the floor, in the corner of the bedroom blush

Lilyflower Tue 30-Apr-19 13:25:17

I am a control freak and have self diagnosed OCPD. But my house and garden always look lovely and, as long as I have espied the escape route in any situation, I can appear perfectly normal.

Hm999 Tue 30-Apr-19 13:25:53

I'm good at starting things, but not very good at finishing them.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 30-Apr-19 13:44:04

Kittylester I can relate to your post, 5 children, large house, pets, work and after school clubs I had to be organised and in control.

AC has moved back home with GC and I am often reminded that they are a "grown-up" and can I please stop organising them/for them (not always politely!!!!)

I am trying really hard to take each day as it comes and "chillax" (GC and AC advice and favourite word ATM)

I am also practicing saying "no", as I find myself increasingly regretting committing to engagements whether they be social or just helping out someone.

Maggiemaybe Tue 30-Apr-19 13:46:11

I'm a wee bit of a control freak, according to feedback. grin

Also I pick up hobbies with great enthusiasm, and they never last. Hence the collection of dusty equipment cluttering the cellar - the running, dancing and Zumba shoes, the hula hoop and rebounder, the violin and guitar, the calligraphy book, the language tapes, the half-stitched tapestry. And the writing course that I took up over 30 years ago - apparently there's no time limit on finishing it, but I've only done the first module of sixteen.

Anybody else still bite their nails? I can grow them beautifully and they're very strong. but one snag and I'm in there nibbling. Then I nibble the others down to the same level....

grannyqueenie Tue 30-Apr-19 13:51:43

Me too, kitty, I could have written your post... grin

Amagran Tue 30-Apr-19 13:53:38

I'll put my post on this thread later.......if I remember....grin

quizqueen Tue 30-Apr-19 14:01:53

I constantly leave cups of tea to get cold so have to reheat them in the microwave. I always speak my mind - not usually welcomed on this site, where most people (and moderators) seems to only want a watered down, politically correct response!!

Diggingdoris Tue 30-Apr-19 14:14:41

I keep putting off doing housework, and then find myself pottering in the garden instead, and end up spending the whole day out there.
My other sin is reading in bed at night, when I'm really tired but the book is so good I just have to read one more chapter, then one more etc.

Tallyann1 Tue 30-Apr-19 15:35:56

Me too !!

KatyK Tue 30-Apr-19 15:41:01

My DH always says 'I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure'. smile

eilys Tue 30-Apr-19 16:19:44

Yes I am told I do when watching football, so my family say,but they are liars,l would never do such a thing

tinaf1 Tue 30-Apr-19 16:29:07

Maggie maybe I also still bite my nails mind you state of mine have put my granddaughter off of biting hers so every cloud eh? ?
Nanny loves shopping forgot I do that one will add it to my list ?

Wiltshiregrams Tue 30-Apr-19 16:50:41

Buying plants and flowers. Just can’t resist. If I see a good deal, in the basket they go. Trouble is as on crutches, can’t dig the holes to put them in. As live with daughter and two grandsons, have to wait for the right moment to ask them to get the spade out. I see the look on my daughters face every time come home with more but just cannot stop.

GabriellaG54 Tue 30-Apr-19 18:11:01

Hmm...er...?
1) Starting to get ready to go out 30 minutes before having to leave.
2) Shopping.
3) Making sure that everything in the home is 'just so' before going out. anywhere.
4) Insisting on giving gifts for lifts.

GabriellaG54 Tue 30-Apr-19 18:12:46

...and being too outspoken. wink