Gransnet forums

Chat

What're your bad habits?

(90 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Tue 30-Apr-19 01:13:16

And I mean ones which by your own judgement, rather than anyone else's, you would rather not have.

I run hot, soapy washing up water and then walk away because it's just a wee bit too hot for my hands, and then forget so that when I get back to it, it's cold. angry

I hate wearing rubber gloves, so that isn't the answer. A timer is and I have one - but I forget to set it grin

So, what little imperfections do you admit to?

sodapop Tue 30-Apr-19 08:29:25

I'm practically perfect in every way smile

I have to comment on something I don't agree with when in conversation with others. Drives my husband mad, he thinks I should just let some things go as they are relatively unimportant.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 30-Apr-19 08:33:30

Procrastination and being indecisive. I find it difficult to make my mind up about the simplest things. Should I do this or that? Then I put it off . Unless I'm forced into a situation I let things slide.

Harris27 Tue 30-Apr-19 08:34:20

I'm a worrier so that's my bad habit worry about everything! I leave my knitting out on sofa so nooone can sit down! Other than that I'm like soda pop! Ha ha?

crazyH Tue 30-Apr-19 08:40:50

Anxiety about everything. Having couple of my friends over for tea today and I'm anxious whether the marinated chicken I'm planing to cook will turn out ok . Work up earlier than usual because of anxiety.

Mapleleaf Tue 30-Apr-19 08:46:00

Getting motivated to do things! Once I start, I'm OK, but at times, it's the starting that's the problem, so I'd say my worse habit is procrastination!

B9exchange Tue 30-Apr-19 08:59:24

I'm with you there Mapleleaf (are you in Canada?) So easy to think 'just five minutes more' or 'I'll just have a cup of coffee first' or I'll just put the washing on'

Very poor with any form of exercise apart from walking, and even then the weather had to be right!

BrandyButter Tue 30-Apr-19 09:00:23

Saying 'Yes' to people when I really want to say No but have not got time to think about it or do not want to upset them....I should say "Can you just let me think about that and I will get back to you....." hmm

ninathenana Tue 30-Apr-19 09:05:43

Same here Mapleleaf
I swear blush too often but only at home or in the car.

tinaf1 Tue 30-Apr-19 09:15:23

Procrastination like Mapleleaf and can also relate to lbc1955
I am now sitting here on gransnet thinking I had better get dressed and get on

Nannylovesshopping Tue 30-Apr-19 09:19:05

I’m trying to teach myself to say, for goodness sake,
not ffs?

EllanVannin Tue 30-Apr-19 09:23:51

Yes------motivation ! Never used to be like this, though once I finally get cracking I'm okay it's that initial " push ".
As for tomorrow---it never comes !

I also have a tendency to be anxious at times too but I fear it's through my own doing at not being motivated if something should crop up which needs my attention and which should have been sorted. I often as not blame myself and start swearing under my breath. It helps ! smile

KatyK Tue 30-Apr-19 09:25:49

Worrying and mithering. I am Mrs 'what if?'. I also think I have a tendency to talk over people or start talking before they have finished what they are saying. blush

BradfordLass72 Tue 30-Apr-19 09:30:43

Oh, are we not all beautifully normal?

I thought of another bad habit and this is probably something to do with what we now call ADHD (my Dad called me 'Butterfly Brain')

I get half way through something and suddenly think about another task which needs doing, so leave the first thing unfinished and dash off to do the next.

It may be that I have 3, unfinished jobs waiting for me whilst I've decided to have a cup of tea and sit in the sun grin

I'm also a bit anxious but I don't necessarily see that as a bad habit.
It's allied to my need to do my best (rarely good enough) to care about people and their welfare and to a certain fear, such as losing people I love.

Over the years I've taught myself to control a lot of this but I feel we would be hard people indeed if we did not have a certain level of useful anxiety, such as that of crazyH who simply wants to produce a fine meal for friends she cares about.

Maybelle Tue 30-Apr-19 09:32:18

Over analysing matters. Going back over past conversations for no reason.
Putting myself last.

So I suppose just generally fretting.

KatyK Tue 30-Apr-19 09:35:03

And I am a hypochondriac.

Lindaloulabel Tue 30-Apr-19 09:49:38

Eating chocolate in bed......??

GrandmaCornwall Tue 30-Apr-19 10:02:03

Procrastination, hence lost of lists of unfinished things to do and a Pinterest account of even more projects to start. See pile of unfinished items. When things actually get finished, usually to a deadline, I point out all the faults. ?Worst of all feeling smug on the rare occasion when I find something I can do better than my husband ( he is a perfectionist) ☺️

annifrance Tue 30-Apr-19 10:05:18

Getting up and getting dressed so late every morning. But then I don't have to do school run anymore, and I mean for children not grandchildren.

Anniebach Tue 30-Apr-19 10:05:20

A need to control, not control other people, to have complete control over me . Doesn’t make sense I know, example - I have an eating disorder , the nutritionist tells me what to add to my diet, this to me means she is controlling what I eat. I know she is the expert but !

FarNorth Tue 30-Apr-19 10:11:38

Procrastination and general laziness.

Sometimes 'butterfly brain' helps me to get things done, though, as I do bits of several things simultaneously and feel as if I'm only doing little things.
Logical, it's not.

knspol Tue 30-Apr-19 10:17:01

A real worry wart, way too bothered about what others think of me, want things done NOW as opposed to when DH gets around to them. I could go on...

TerriBull Tue 30-Apr-19 10:37:26

My procrastination it's just shocking at times, I always remember my father saying "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" about some task or other he should have been doing, definitely passed that characteristic on sadly sad Having said that I'm feeling slightly smug today having just rinsed out all manner of jars and bottles, soya, peri, peri, Worcestershire, spices etc. for recycling that were cluttering up my larder and fridge, some dating back to 2015 shock.................and I've done a pile of ironing, which leaves plenty of time for ......er procrastination other worthwhile tasks.

Kim19 Tue 30-Apr-19 10:41:22

My Achilles heel is paperwork. Strangely enough I am otherwise tidy and organised. When seeking a document I always know which 'pile' it is in but hey...... when I have a blitz I'm overwhelmed with joy. Crazy woman!

Legs55 Tue 30-Apr-19 11:22:02

Definitely Procrastination, I've a pile of ironing to do been sitting there for weeks but here I am on GN, reading this morning's paper, still got crossword & sudoku to dogrin If it's nice this afternoon then I will be out in the garden, still the ironing will be there tomorrow, fine weather might not behmm