Gransnet forums

Chat

Your sofas

(131 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 06-Jul-19 21:22:03

What kind do you have?
Slouchy leather ones, or wing back, more formal ones?

Sensible colours, or bright?

I'm looking at the ones for sale, but I can't decide what my style is.

I started off looking for a red corner unit, but I'm now swaying towards distressed tan leather. (I'll probably end up with plain black)

HillyN Sat 06-Jul-19 22:15:27

Two settees, a 2 seater and a 3 seater in a beige and caramel tweedy fabric with caramel piping. Both reclining. We bought new when the cat had to be put to sleep. We tried leather ones in the showroom but found we just slipped out of them!
They've withstood the grandkids very well but there is a slightly darker patch on my DH's settee where he rests his head.

Cherrytree59 Sat 06-Jul-19 22:25:45

Mid century style red leather sofa with chrome legs.
Matching club chair and swivel chair (loved by our 3 DGS's).

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jul-19 22:31:36

I quite fancy a swivel chair.
My Nan used to have one; great fun!

Sara65 Sat 06-Jul-19 22:46:15

One room has a huge tetrad leather and fabric sofa, seen better days I’m afraid! Too much boisterous bouncing!

The other one has a pink velvet chesterfield, and a purple snuggler

tanith Sat 06-Jul-19 23:14:37

Mines pretty traditional but so comfy. High back with lumbar support, it has the right width/height to suit my short legs so my feet reach the ground. One reclining armchair and a 3 seater sofa in a tweedy mix of greenyblue and biscuit colour.
We bought a leather suite once but it was slippery, not comfy and cold to sit on, we gave it away after 18mths.

MissAdventure Sat 06-Jul-19 23:19:00

Oh I've been admiring the tetrad sofas.
Even when they've absolutely seen better days they're very popular, it seems.

callgirl1 Sun 07-Jul-19 00:02:38

2 seater red fabric sofa, firm, but comfy.

Willow500 Sun 07-Jul-19 07:13:10

I feel I've unwittingly become an expert on sofas we've had so manyhmm

Recently replaced our very comfy but saggy and constantly grubby cream corded sofa which is all cushions with a dark grey corner suite with 3 recliner seats. It looks lovely but is not comfy unless you have it in the reclining position. Fine for just the two of us but when we've had visitors we look like we're waiting for a bus!!

The cream one is now in the conservatory along with the matching swivel chair (great fun for kids but knocks anything in the near vicinity over when it swings round). I find myself going in there to watch tv when it's cool enough just to sit comfortably.

Over the years we've also had 2 grey sofas with cushion backs which were comfy but hard to get out of. A cream leather and wood 2 seater & 3 seater with matching chair - given to cousin as husband couldn't sit on it without sliding off! A blue patterned velvet suite and a goldish velvet one with swivel chairs with a carcass of polystyrene. The one which was possibly the most comfortable and easiest to keep clean was a traditional cream suite with patterned cushions about 30 years ago - unfortunately my son had a party while we were on holiday and a mate slept on it with a blue pen in his pocket which leaked. Nuff said about that!! Maybe I should go to work for SuitesRus grin

DoraMarr Sun 07-Jul-19 08:18:42

This is one of mine:
It’s four years old, bought for this apartment from M&S. I had a big dark brown leather one in my previous house, which my daughter now has. These are light grey and surprisingly easy to keep clean.

janeainsworth Sun 07-Jul-19 08:29:45

M&S circa 1995 & recovered by a local upholsterer 6 years ago

MissAdventure Sun 07-Jul-19 08:52:27

Your sofas are all so clean!
My fabric ones always seemed to have grubby arms.

I love looking at everyone's pics, so thank you.

Greyduster Sun 07-Jul-19 09:02:07

We have a dark brown leather three piece, which came with us from our last house, in the living room. DH goes at it with leather treatment once every couple of months and it looks good, but I wish it was a two seater sofa in place of the armchairs now, which would be more practical for this house. We have a two seater and a three seater grey fabric suite in our conservatory, which is lighter than it started out because the sun has faded it! The two seater is a sofa bed, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but it to be pressed into service!

Greyduster Sun 07-Jul-19 09:03:34

“Is still to be pressed into service”

TwiceAsNice Sun 07-Jul-19 09:13:26

I have a cream leather sofa and a duck egg material covered chair with a narrow cream stripe running through it and matching footstool. The chair and stool are scotch guarded and still look good and I wipe over the sofa every week with a clean damp cloth and sometimes a leather wipe and it still looks new.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 07-Jul-19 09:41:50

My two sofas are similar to Maws but a mid Grey linen type fabric.
Only had them for about six months, previously had a gorgeous sky blue and white striped one, same style. Had it for thirty years but couldn't find another to go with it when I wanted a second one so gave it away on Freecycle. It was getting a bit worn in places but I still miss it.

I can't get on with leather at all, the scatter cushions slide about on it and I can't have a comfy lie down because if that.
I dog sit for a friend and she has leather, that's how I know it's not for me.

MissAdventure Sun 07-Jul-19 09:44:56

I'm having second thoughts about leather now, which is a pain because I had almost decided.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 07-Jul-19 09:44:56

You probably wouldn't like my sofa. It's a two-seater, (designed for the smaller home) wing-backed in pale turquoise - I suppose it's called duck egg blue these days. I keep a blanket on top to stop it getting covered with too many dark cat hairs.

Theoddbird Sun 07-Jul-19 09:47:07

I don't have space for . I have a painted pine box with embroidered cushions on...is that a sofa?

grannie62 Sun 07-Jul-19 09:47:24

If you still like the old one, why not have it reupholstered?

Beware of tweedy fabric - looks nice, feels scratchy.

If you can turn the cushions over and alternate them, you will keep your sofa for much longer without wearing it out.

MissAdventure Sun 07-Jul-19 09:52:02

I've gone off mine.
I love the look of it, but it has no arms, and a tendency to tip me forward when I'm sitting on it.

I had thought the tweed type of material looked easy to keep clean.
Back to the drawing board then. smile

Torquoise5 Sun 07-Jul-19 09:53:41

Got to the stage of comfort as priority. HCL for me so two two seaters and two wing backs. Sofas blood red leather and chairs muted tartan.

Coconut Sun 07-Jul-19 09:56:05

A cute shabby chic patchwork one ...

Saggi Sun 07-Jul-19 09:56:17

Two burgundy ,well worn,slouchy, old, massive sofa’s.... which I know need replacing as can’t move to clean under.... but they are so comfortable... also can’t face the inevitable argument with the other half ,as he thinks you must always have a ‘Three Piece Suite’ ... which I don’t like! Two small sofa’s and his wing upright will be the preferred next buy for me!

GrannyLiv Sun 07-Jul-19 09:56:20

After many years of having the traditional format (3 seater couch plus 2 armchairs, all matching), we currently have three pieces that do not match, except that they are all brown leather.

We have a 2 seater chesterfield, a Queen Anne chair and a gloriously comfortable art deco armchair. None of them match in style and they are all different hues of brown, but it works smile

Saggi Sun 07-Jul-19 09:59:55

.... also thinking I might mix it up next time ... in other words no matching up ! Just because my hubby and bestest friend are traditionalists and I know it would freak them out! My daughters done it though and not only does it look great , the world didn’t come crashing in on her!