Gransnet forums

Chat

Fun question - when did you realise you were getting older?

(133 Posts)
Vintagegal13 Fri 16-Aug-19 08:48:02

Mine is I am more excited to be going home, than to be going out!

H1954 Sat 17-Aug-19 19:37:43

When I opted for screw top wine bottles..............I was having dreadful problems getting the corks out of the traditional bottles!!!!!!!!!!! Lol ? ???

Bellanonna Sat 17-Aug-19 21:11:04

Having to pour boiling water over screwtop bottles H1954.
As others have said, not being challenged, or asked for proof of age, when at 60 I requested reduced-price entry to cinemas etc.
Driving up the road and driving back almost immediately because I’ve forgotten something, and hoping any neighbours who noticed weren’t the ones who saw me do the same thing a week ago.

Apricity Sat 17-Aug-19 22:02:14

I'm finding it rather disconcerting that my children are starting to go to their friends 50th birthday celebrations. How did that happen? My 50th was only a couple of years ago!

And I don't know whose hands are at the end of my arms. They appear to be some old lady's hands with age spots, wrinkles, osteoarthritis bumps and veins. She appears to enjoy her garden just like me. What a coincidence.

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 17-Aug-19 23:32:36

When I watched this year's Glastonbury to see my grand-daughter's fav singer: Billie Eilish.

BradfordLass72 Sun 18-Aug-19 05:04:39

I don't think I have ever felt young.

My sister (a real good-time girl) used to call me fuddy-duddy when I was a teenager and would rather stay in and read than go clubbing or dancing.

I'm not that keen on alcohol; fashion was always too small for my sturdy frame; I've never owned (or wanted) high heels.

I prefer nature to any city or suburban life and a book to TV or movies.

I don't like music and positively loathe rock 'music' so growing up after the war meant I was a teen at the height of that particular aberration.

In fact I cannot think of one aspect of being young which appealed to me.

So maybe I was always 72 at heart grin

mothertrucker52 Thu 22-Aug-19 00:02:43

When the 'reverse cowgirl' sex position started to hurt my dodgy hip

Grandma2213 Thu 22-Aug-19 01:34:51

The first time someone called me a lady instead of a girl at the supermarket checkout.

When I was labelled a 'geriatric mum' at age 29!

Working in schools, the first time a child asked, 'Are you someone's Gran?' instead of, 'Are you someone's Mum?'

When I was asked by a child, 'Did you have electricity when you were young?' I realised we had oil lamps and a chemical outside loo till I was 6!! (and a chemical outside loo till I was 12!)

Also asked by a child, 'Did you know Florence Nightingale?'

When my baby DGS grabbed a handful of the loose skin at the back of my arm ....'Aaaaaaargh!'

When I came back from Tesco one evening to find DS at my house worrying because I hadn't answered my phone. I did forget my mobile!

Never mind DSs have bought me a flying lesson in a couple of weeks so all is not lost!!