Gransnet forums

Chat

Manners; where's thank you notes gone!

(91 Posts)
RetiredTravel Wed 06-Nov-19 15:54:09

The past four baby presents we have given ; no thank you notes...

I gave indirectly via their families so I've not seen the parents face to face..
I'm possibly living on cloud cuckoo land these days. Its either one of two things I need to give with no expectations or need for gratitude or I need to stop bothering to give because it's reinforcing my attitude that they've all got far too much anyway and a romper suit from M&S is completely meaningless.

Last year the exception was a lovely hand written note, it was from a couple who are both Dr's..
If they have a second they'll definitely get another gift..
Can't say I can do that for the others with good grace so I'll probably not bother.
Its possibly a class thing as opposed to a generation thing but I dont remember it being so obvious to us years ago.

sodapop Sat 09-Nov-19 21:11:13

Seems a slightly jaundiced view notanan2 I would just see it as a kind thought and people were happy for the baby and new family.

SirChenjin Sat 09-Nov-19 21:58:40

Me too sodapop. It’s not that difficult to send a message to say thanks ?‍♀️

Hithere Sun 10-Nov-19 01:32:52

Sending thank you notes is good manners in some countries

In others, the polite thing to do is to say thank you in person. Sending thank you notes is not even taught at all.

Technology does affect how we communicate. Paper and ink are becoming obsolete and more inconvenient than a text message, quick email ,etc., especially when time is very scarce and our cell phones are available to help us make our lives easier.

Something about thank you notes for baby presents- the new parents are super busy with the new baby, healing from birth, etc, to have "send thank you notes" on top of the list.

Send thank you notes involves knowing the address or looking for it, buying the cards and stamps, write the card, drop it in the mail....
It is not as simple as "send thank you notes"

What's more important, knowing your present was appreciated- verbally or via social media- or getting a card?

annep1 Sun 10-Nov-19 07:54:58

Nannymandy very true in a lot of cases, not all of course. My own gc now adults never send cards or presents. I get very short thank you texts never a phone call. Disgraceful.

RetiredTravel Fri 15-Nov-19 21:39:43

Yes Notanan2 does give me the impression of an alternative view. Fabulous we have opportunity to have a variety of thoughts.

I'd be intrigued to know 'class'...
I guess my question remains can we measure manners and how do we define manners

RetiredTravel Sat 16-Nov-19 07:43:31

"Something about thank you notes for baby presents- the new parents are super busy with the new baby, healing from birth, etc, to have "send thank you notes" on top of the list."

Yes indeed I think this is the thought generally speaking. The other side to the coin is if we as mothers are super busy now how on earth did they cope even a couple of decades ago.

Hithere Sat 16-Nov-19 11:08:49

Retiredtravel,
Good question!
2 quick things come to mind- evolution in communication methods and society.

1. Evolution - cell phones and ocial media has revolutionized the way we communicate
Decades ago, there were no fb, text messages, emails, etc, just pen and paper
2. More evolution- society is not static, it also changes with time.
Many women now choose not to be the social secretary, choose to out their health and their baby's first instead of follow old fashioned social customs.
For example, it was not unusual decades ago for a mother to play hostess after giving birth and hold visits so relatives could meet the baby , or entertain visits at thr hospital- now there is a movement towards protecting the health of the mother and the baby and the mother has way more voice on how she spends her life vs what was expected of her.
Feminism is a beautiful thing.

Just because decades ago things were done one way, it does not mean life reinvent itself

Hithere Sat 16-Nov-19 11:11:47

Think about the decline in letters being sent, Christmas cards being mailed, physical newspapers being sold, etc - it is not only a change in thank you notes

MawB Sat 16-Nov-19 11:44:27

83 posts and do we need GabbyG to point out it should be “Where have thank you notes gone”? wink

annep1 Sun 17-Nov-19 10:06:17

Yes, where are you Gabriella??

Callistemon Sun 17-Nov-19 11:05:34

On the Good Morning thread annep1
(No need to thank me wink)

Kalu Sun 17-Nov-19 12:17:08

You have just pointed it out Maw Job done?

RetiredTravel Sun 17-Nov-19 19:45:40

Quite right... ?

annep1 Sun 17-Nov-19 21:40:06

thank you Callistemon

Callistemon Sun 17-Nov-19 21:55:56

You're welcome annep1

I do appreciate a thank you
smile