Gransnet forums

Chat

Environment and 'Ok Boomer'

(163 Posts)
WeekendVisit Thu 28-Nov-19 13:59:35

There appears to be increasing substantial bad relations between generations on social media, generation Y seem to blame Brexit, high housing costs,the high care and pension tax burden, the environmental and financial difficulties on the W - Baby boomer generation rather than the older V generation. There is also an increasing appetite for associated death for the elderly amongst the younger generation.

Do you find this situation happening in real life or is it mainstream and social media lead during a time of reduced resources?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/nov/27/climate-emergency-world-may-have-crossed-tipping-points

Doodledog Thu 28-Nov-19 14:27:41

I understand th OP, and yes, I have seen it on social media. It is lazy and dismissive - as, frankly, have been some of the responses on this thread, so it would seem that it is not confined to one generation.

I have been dismissed as a 'Boomer' for saying that a vegan diet is not the only way to save the planet, and it took me aback a bit. The young woman who did it is vegan, but takes regular flights to Bali, where she runs a vegan yoga facility, which struck me as hilariously hypocritical. Also, there has been some research recently that suggests that mixed farming is better for the planet than continual growing of vegetables.

It was less the hypocricy that bothered me than the dismissive tone of the response. Argue with what I am saying by all means, but to write me (or others of my age) off because I am 60 is rude, narrow-minded and, frankly, stupid.

I think that the government has quite deliberately turned groups against one another, so that we are all arguing amongst ourselves and not looking at the bigger picture. Young/old, rich/poor, Leave/Remain, men/women/trans, Muslim/Jew/Christian/No Faith, whatever - it is so unnecessary, and IMO it impoverishes lives, as learning about and listening to different points of view is so enriching and educational.

Gonegirl Thu 28-Nov-19 14:27:56

I only do Gransnet and sometimes, Twitter. No facebook.

Gonegirl Thu 28-Nov-19 14:31:17

I will leave you to it Doodledog. My response was not lazy or dismissive. Just knee jerk at the thought of the younger generation wanting to do away with us all. Understandable I would have thought.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Nov-19 14:34:11

weekendvisit such utter nonsense I don’t need a title to describe me thanks very much I m me an individual and probably have a bit of everything in me This labelling people from a 100 genders to algebra letters for the decade you were born in is an absolutely stupid fad and not of any interest to anyone with half a brain
We re people not x y or z s
Do you really think all the elderly need wheelchairs and disability aids and no one from the younger generation does !

BlueBelle Thu 28-Nov-19 14:36:49

I totally agree doodlebug there is a lot of divide and rule going on here in all walks of life and all generations when we should be all be working together
it’s been engineered purposely and people are falling for it

WeekendVisit Thu 28-Nov-19 14:39:57

Yes, to divide and conquer.

I don't want the labels either, I am noticing people are being grouped into a descriptive box. I simply am disabled, I don't identify as disabled and when I see other vulnerable groups being targeted it concerns me.

Callistemon Thu 28-Nov-19 15:12:55

It's not just the old who may need wheelchairs.

Are you saying anyone who needs a wheelchair should be bumped off? That is extremely cruel.

I've never seen drivel like this on FB, only occasionally on GN when the inter-generational foundation lot get going.

WeekendVisit Thu 28-Nov-19 15:17:58

I am concerned that there may be scapegoating from young, healthy people who are resentful about the world they live in.

Callistemon Thu 28-Nov-19 15:20:03

Probably

MissAdventure Thu 28-Nov-19 15:23:43

It seems to be a 'thing' now, to not be at all concerned for yourself, only your grandchildren and children.

I don't subscribe to that way of thinking at all.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Nov-19 15:26:44

Well I must meet nicer young people I ve never in all my life heard anything like this and I ve never seen it on fb either (and I go on every day) This is an article to put us all on edge and against each other and get the older folks afraid of the young and vice versa and to be honest I don’t think we should be giving it any space on here

Callistemon Thu 28-Nov-19 15:29:24

Me neither Bluebelle, don't know why I responded.

I am not a boomer
A boomer is a male kangaroo (usually intent on mating)

WeekendVisit Thu 28-Nov-19 15:32:21

Who is going to take responsibility for fostering good relations?

We have various movements and lobbyists promoting their own particular interests when there are few resources.

It seems to be a 'thing' now, to not be at all concerned for yourself, only your grandchildren and children.

There are many ideologies competing and many people living by new on trend social rules according to their group (Millennial who is ER, Vegan and LGBTQ+ for instance will have a different moral code to someone who follows the traditional Christianity and it's Greatest commandments were the social rules.

petra Thu 28-Nov-19 15:32:42

Weekendvisit
I think you need to mix more with young people who have a pulse.

WeekendVisit Thu 28-Nov-19 15:34:18

smile

Callistemon Thu 28-Nov-19 15:37:19

Who is going to take responsibility for fostering good relations?

You?

crystaltipps Thu 28-Nov-19 15:45:41

doodledog another vegan bash - you are being a bit pot/ kettle by your dismissive tone- I am 70 and vegan - they aren’t all young. Perhaps before bashing vegans you could take on board the fact that meat eating is more damaging in terms of carbon emissions than all forms of transport put together. Eating.a leg of lamb is equivalent to a long haul flight, so perhaps your vegan yoga teacher isn’t as hypocritical as those who criticise her.

MissAdventure Thu 28-Nov-19 15:51:29

It takes bit of doing, to eat a whole leg!

Summerlove Thu 28-Nov-19 15:52:28

I think a lot of the “ok boomer” Bit has to do with the way that the boomer generation has been treating the millennial generation for years on the whole by calling them snowflakes and lazy. This seems to be a reactionary response to that.

Also, to be fair, it’s not the millennial fault that the world is in the shape that it is in. Were they brought up to be rampant consumers using plastic? yes. But we need to look at who brought them up. It was Gen X and the Younger boomers. They were the groups that started all of that for them.

I think we all just need to start changing our ways and doing our part to attempt to fix the environment

WeekendVisit Thu 28-Nov-19 15:55:46

45crystaltipps

Your moral code is different to the moral code of doodledog.

Generation sensible - Z will have a different moral code from generation Y - Millennials who are very loud at present.

You don't generally get so many different labels, prior to WW2 most people shared a universal moral code.

Now we have chaos as strident zealots from each new ideology tries to convert, recruit and promote their quasi religion without redemption and ideology, whatever it may be.

MissAdventure Thu 28-Nov-19 15:57:21

hmm

WeekendVisit Thu 28-Nov-19 16:01:32

I wonder what quasi religion the next generation will come up with, that will make the current Millennials on trend moral code and ideology become uncool. smile

Summerlove Thu 28-Nov-19 16:04:25

weekendvisit

Comments like this I wonder what quasi religion the next generation will come up with, that will make the current Millennials on trend moral code and ideology become uncool. smile Certainly won’t help bring generations together

If you don’t want to be dismissed because of your generation, don’t dismiss a different generation. It seems like common sense.

WeekendVisit Thu 28-Nov-19 16:06:56

smile

CoolioC Thu 28-Nov-19 16:12:15

Listening to Jeremy Vine the other day regarding Waspis, they had a 28 year old, who asked why she and her children should pay for these people! Whilst I had to agree with the lady who thought she was only given 2 years notice it was actually bought in in 1995 through the back door and possibly on a slow news day. I digress, I wondered if the 28 year old was a bit dim. Who did she think was paying for her children’s free books, benefit or was she so pious that she bought her own and didn’t take the benefit. generation spoilt and had it all.