Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you cut down on buying Christmas presents?

(74 Posts)
JenniferEccles Thu 28-Nov-19 14:03:32

I ask as I watched Martin Lewis the other evening talking about how so many people get into serious debt in January.

Of course we all want to buy for our families but it’s very easy for the list to grow and grow isn’t it?

I used to buy for friends but for the past few years we have stopped and we are all relieved at having a few less to think about!

I am sure there are still lots of folk who are worried sick about the expense of it all.

Namsnanny Fri 29-Nov-19 15:02:08

But I've just realised I make bits and bobs for giving on the day!
Photo's, homemade jams chocs, jokey Christmas jumpers etc.

Newquay Fri 29-Nov-19 15:33:08

I made a decision this year to buy DGC premium bonds for birthdays and Christmas especially now they’ve been reduced to £25. The ads say how easy it is-what a performance!! Started in Oct for one DGD aged 10-her Mum
Had to provide ID-not just birth certificate but a certified copy! By the time she did this, the time had passed so £25 refunded to me! Older DGDs have to buy their own so I transferred the money to their accounts, gave them the number to ring-still hasn’t been done since September ? sigh-it seemed such a good idea. I still give them all (the same) stocking every year with things like favourite chox, (joke) book, smellies etc. No longer buy for any adults by agreement whether family or friends

M0nica Fri 29-Nov-19 15:56:24

I have just realised this is about gift giving rather than spending. We have always only given to immediate family, rarely to friends, so the number has never been very high. Older members of the family have died, but we he have melded with DDiL's family and tend to see the two families as one, Only the one set of GC each, that we share so we have added DDiL's, mother, sister and BiL to the list

grandtanteJE65 Fri 29-Nov-19 16:23:36

Yes, we have cut down, for the sad, if natural reason, that our parents, aunts, uncles and my sister are all dead.

We have never been a family who gave large, expensive presents, but frankly, it would be nice to have more people to give to.

Only DH and our son, and very few friends left.

PamelaJ1 Fri 29-Nov-19 16:41:03

Grandchildren get one decent present. Children and spouses get a small one and an experience. This year DD and husband want to go to the ABBA Party. Other DD will go to something by the Opera house in Sydney when we visit.
Mum gets a trip to the panto and a meal afterwards and a little gift for the day..
I only buy for one friend as she is on her own.
That’s it in our house, very easy really.
If we were to spend Christmas Day with a family member and their family we would buy a gift for all. Top spend £5.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 29-Nov-19 17:43:46

I haven't bought the GC presents for many years. They have all had lifetime presents, driving lessons and a bit towards their car. They are very happy with this, and so they should be. I now buy just for my son, daughter and husband and oh yes the GGC that has come along and even then its only about £20 or £30.

harrigran Fri 29-Nov-19 18:24:36

I only buy for the GC, adults no longer get gifts but we take the entire family out for Christmas dinner.
I have always bought a gift for my friend but this year I have told her I am not shopping, it has been a difficult time lately and I can't summon up any enthusiasm. I also have three birthdays in the seven days before Christmas.

arosebyanyothername Fri 29-Nov-19 18:38:35

Last year our 2 AC spent way too much on us.

They both have young families and we want for nothing so a few days ago I had a word with our daughter and said we should have a cap on spending for adults. This went down well so broached it with our son who was not so happy.

We really don't want them to spend money on us, we don't need anything. Their presence at Christmas means so much more.
The GC still get nice presents but half clothes/half toys.

mumofmadboys Fri 29-Nov-19 20:33:04

Do you spend the same amount on an AC's spouse or partner as you spend on the AC? We have one AC with a partner of 3 years. We are unsure whether to spend less on her than our son. Thoughts please? We are giving them a joint present too.

Nanny27 Fri 29-Nov-19 22:54:30

mumofbadboys hi. I used to spend approximately £50 on AC and £25 on the spouse. Nowadays I am more likely to buy them a present between them.

gmarie Fri 29-Nov-19 23:17:03

I tried this year to buy gifts for sons, g/f and wife that are known to support charitable causes (donation of a blanket to a homeless shelter for each one purchased, 50% of profits to pediatric cancer research, books to Africa, etc.). It actually cost me a bit more than usual for fewer gifts but I think I may do it again next year.

Chewbacca Fri 29-Nov-19 23:18:32

Family tickets to a show or panto for the Christmas period and small token gifts to be opened on the day. DS and DIL have specifically requested no more toys as the GC have more than enough toys that hardly get played with and they really don't need any more. The only other gifts to buy are for 3 very close friends. So yes, I've massively cut down.

BradfordLass72 Fri 29-Nov-19 23:46:46

I've never spent a lot at Christmas as I don't believe in the 'never-never'.
I buy only what I can afford and I can afford only what I've been able to save from my pension all year.
However, I do try to sell a few things to supplement that if I can.

That has never stopped us having wonderfully happy Christmases and I don't suppose it ever will as we've never been a materialistic family.

Candelle Sat 30-Nov-19 00:08:25

We buy our four grandchildren a large-ish present.

The adults in the family participate in a Secret Santa with a £40-50 limit.

We have used this for a few years now and it works really well (but Santa is given a few hints!).

We also take the grandchildren to a pantomime but this is really for our benefit! Great fun.

mosaicwarts Sat 30-Nov-19 00:22:51

My two best friends are down in London and I asked them both if we could agree to stop buying each other gifts from this Christmas. It does feel odd as I've been sending them for over twenty years.

I think I might just send both of them something small and thoughtful. One friend's birthday is in early January so I always send her birthday gift along with her Christmas gift to save on the post. I do value them so much as friends, they've supported me through thick and thin. I have only got two children and an aunt to buy for, no lovely grandchildren yet!

mosaicwarts Sat 30-Nov-19 14:28:13

I'm really pleased, have just visited a village shop and they are selling calendars designed by a young local artist. Best friends presents sorted!

Gonegirl Sat 30-Nov-19 14:31:21

Just asked my son what he would like for Christmas. He said a new I-pad. Toll him he was chancing his arm there. He'll have a nice wooly-pully and like it.

Floradora9 Sat 30-Nov-19 18:11:53

We agreed some years ago as a family only to give presents to the children. I love it no sweating over what to give people who do not need anything anyway. DD who has no children still gets money into her account and DGC get money ( they probably do not know about ) into their accounts plus presents. We get nothing which is fine by me .

Granless Sat 30-Nov-19 18:15:29

Recently visited Oxfam shop where I bought donation cards - anything from £5 upwards. I have chosen seeds for an African family to plant. I am giving these as a gift along with something cheap and cheerful. Children would learn about giving to less fortunate as well as receiving.

kwest Sun 01-Dec-19 23:15:49

One of my children mentioned that they prefer our family get together for a long weekend in September at a holiday house by the sea because there was not the financial pressures of Christmas.
I thought about this as I don't want any of my family worrying about money for presents. As we are getting older our finances are also limited. I suggested that each family just bought the other two families a big tin of chocolates or biscuits as a family present and even the grandchildren were fine with that idea. Relief all round.

Theoddbird Wed 04-Dec-19 06:50:50

I will not pay the Customs charge of £13.44. It said on ebay dispatched from UK which is obviously a lie. As I won't pay the Customs charge the Post office will send it back to you. I expect a full refund

Theoddbird Wed 04-Dec-19 06:52:29

Oops that should not have gone here.... hahahaha

Resurgam123 Wed 04-Dec-19 07:18:46

Yes I cut down . Two boys 4 and 7 . Some decent money given to mum and dad to manage for outings etc and some novelties and silly things to raise a smile.