Gransnet forums

Chat

Immortal

(85 Posts)
vampirequeen Wed 12-Feb-20 18:40:29

Just been cold called by an insurance company. This is the conversation after she tried to sell me insurance...

Me: I don't need insurance, thank you.
Sarah: Everyone needs insurance
Me: I don't because I'm an immortal.
Sarah: Sorry you're a what?
Me: I'm immortal. I can't die.
Sarah: Everybody dies.
Me: I won't die. We immortals don't die.
Sarah: So you're going to leave your family to pay for your funeral?
Me: I've told you I'm immortal. I won't ever need a funeral. We immortals don't die.
Sarah: You're an immortal?
Me: Yes
Sarah: Oh OK. Thank your for your time.

grin grin grin

timetogo2016 Fri 14-Feb-20 12:37:43

A great thread made me laugh.
I was cold called a few years ago asked if I would like a conservatory I said no thank you,but on and on she went.
So in the end I agreed.
Was asked for my address so I told them Flat 19 Tower house and the lifts working.
Phone went dead.

cas58 Sun 16-Feb-20 09:13:11

Jenni123 you made me laugh out loud! priceless!

Tangerine Sun 16-Feb-20 11:46:15

I just say "not interested thank you" and hang up. I try to avoid being rude because I think they are perhaps just doing their job.

geekesse Sun 16-Feb-20 12:00:08

Caller: We have a special offer - one month of free life insurance.
Me: Do you know something I don’t?
Caller: I’m sorry, I don’t understand.
Me: I benefit if I die in the next month, right?
Caller: Yes.
Me: And if I stay alive, I get nothing, right?
Caller: Yes, that’s right.
Me: So if you think you are offering me something worth having, you must know I’m going to die in the next month? Oh my God, I must be terminally ill! Did you talk to my doctor?
Long pause....
Caller: No, it’s just a sales technique, really. Please don’t worry. I’ll put that down as ‘not interested’.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 16-Feb-20 12:37:17

While I agree about people trying to earn a living, there is one particular company who incessantly cold called me, despite repeatedly being asked to remove my number from their list. These people therefore I consider as fair game for winding up, particularly because they are pretty offensive when you tell them you are not interested. Their response is generally along the lines that they can't see why you wouldn't be interested (they claim to be a survey company). They are always changing the number they call from, so call blocking doesn't work. I just don't answer the phone now to unknown numbers. Let's hope I haven't missed out on some mystery win because of this!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 16-Feb-20 12:38:48

Can I add to my last post that I was called 'a f*cking idiot" because I said no thanks.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 16-Feb-20 16:23:08

That's what I meant when I posted about there being a difference between people who are just doing a job (be polite but firm) and those who are scamming you, or in your case Growing0ldDisgracefully, being too persistent. I really don't see why we should be expected to be polite to people like that, and why shouldn't we have some fun while winding them up?. The problem I find is that I can never think of the clever ways to do it until too late.

Happygirl79 Sun 16-Feb-20 18:14:39

I am registered with the telephone preference service. It has greatly reduced the number of nuisance calls but some still ring. I ask to be taken off their call list and say they are breaking the law, I now have their number and will be passing the information on and to expect a fine

MamaCaz Sun 16-Feb-20 18:47:27

The most offensive cold caller i have ever had the misfortune to speak to was trying to me advertising space. He became quite rude when I said I wasn't interested, so much so that I felt quite upset - in fact, he swore at me as he ended the call!

There was only one place he could have got my details, which was a brochure advertising local services. However, because of where I live, I also had an ad in the adjoining region's version of the same brochure.
The man was clearly working his way through them both, calling all the people advertising, because he called me again about a week later. I recognised his voice instantly and my goodness, I didn't half give him a piece of my mind!