Gransnet forums

Chat

No DiLs - thank goodness!

(137 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Fri 14-Feb-20 10:28:28

The more threads I read over the years of the issues between MiLs and DiLs the more grateful I am that I don’t have any !

I am sure there are millions of MiL/DiLs who get on very well and of course, we only hear of those relationships not going well . But listening to the ‘rules’ regarding grandchildren especially I am stunned sometimes.

I have daughters and SIL , I can honestly say whilst like all families we have our moments we have never fallen out over what we as grandparents can do , say or be . IF we ever disagreed I hope we would sit down and discuss it like adults.

My relationship with my SIL can be summed up by what one said to me ‘ when they are with you, it’s your rules and we are happy that you will always do what’s best for them’.

Are there any other grandparents who feel this way or am I standing alone ?

maddyone Sat 15-Feb-20 22:30:51

Just a short post, I have both a lovely MiL and a lovely DiL.

NanaandGrampy Sat 15-Feb-20 22:49:37

Thanks Maw ?, I’m flattered !

hilz Sun 16-Feb-20 01:38:06

I am blessed with a daughter in law that I love as much as my own children. She is a wonderful Mummy to my Grandaughter and I am close friends with her parents who I didn't know before my son met her. We have very similar family values and respect each other's opinions but of course don't agree on absolutely everything !!

Txquiltz Sun 16-Feb-20 03:33:45

I have 2 DIL that are as different as day and night. The one is aloof and can be very rude. I try to accept her as she is, but have been hurt by her over and over. The 2nd DIL is warm and sweet. It is a constant struggle inside to not show favoritism.

Purplepoppies Sun 16-Feb-20 07:40:38

Having only one heterosexual daughter I don't have dil problems. Nor do I have sil problems. He is firmly HER problem. I don't interact with him at all. He is a vile man. Her choice.
Now he realises (after several attempts) that he cannot ever control me (sadly he controls my daughter) I don't hear from him.
My daughter knows my feelings, I will support her if she leaves, but after several years of this bullshit I am bored of listening to it. Sad, even worse for my grandkids ?

Craftycat Sun 16-Feb-20 10:52:04

I have 2 lovely DiLs. Both great mothers & I am very fond of them both.
My own MiL was very sweet although coming from a very different background to me- we got on fine- once I had mastered understanding her lovely Irish accent anyway! I was totally lost for the first few months!

garnet25 Mon 17-Feb-20 00:25:29

I have the most amazing daughter in law and feel that late in life I have acquired a daughter. So blessed.

JackyB Mon 17-Feb-20 09:48:40

I have three lovely DiLs who also get on well with each other. It might help that my DS also have a very good relationship. They are all scattered across different corners of the globe, which might also help. Familiarity might otherwise breed contempt but somehow I doubt it.

I appreciate that we are very lucky in this.

Hamp75 Mon 17-Feb-20 12:26:08

Some in laws consciously or unconsciously appear to undermine their children in the way their grandchildren are brought up and I do think the worst culprits are paternal grandmothers, particularly if they have had a close relationship with their son (Jealousy?). My daughter has an ongoing battle with her mil over the fact that her eldest son struggles with his weight and will eat for England if not controlled. His grandma buys in large boxes of biscuits and sweets which the boys are able to help themselves to with no restraint and meals are pizzas and burgers. My grandson at 13 is deemed obese but last year my daughter managed to reduce his weight by 1 stone over a period of 6 months due to being firm, careful monitoring and healthy eating only for him to go and stay with his father and grandmother for a fortnight and return having put on all the weight he had lost and with a carrier bag full of multipack biscuits, chocolate and sweets! Daughter then has to be the nasty mum who takes them off him.

olliebeak Sat 22-Feb-20 22:06:37

I have two DiL's - one is amazing and the other one, 'not-quite-the-same'!

Eldest son's wife has 'dragged him down' with her aggressive attitudes to almost everything in life, is a raving hypochondriac and can't hold down a job for more than a couple of months before going 'off-sick' or arguing with other work colleagues.

Younger son's wife has been 'the making of him'. She got him to consider the consequences of his actions - to stop him from 'going off the rails' at the age of 18 - and they are the most wonderful parents to their three sons. Her own mother died when she was a small baby and we are so very close.

Spangles1963 Tue 25-Feb-20 19:00:54

I only have the one daughter,so I don't have any DIL. But believe me,sons-in-law can be just as bad. I have tried,I really have,but it has reached the stage now,after nearly 17 years and many unpleasant arguments,where we just 'tolerate' each other. Even my Dd admits now,that the problem is mainly him. From the word go,he resented me,didn't like the fact that Dd and I had a close relationship and just could not accept that he was the only important person in his life.
I have as little to do with him as possible nowadays. I feel so much happier for it too.