Gransnet forums

Chat

Remember yoghurt in the old days?

(103 Posts)
Artdecogran Fri 14-Feb-20 18:42:56

I was just watching the new muller yoghurt advert where it seems to be more sugary toppings than yoghurt. It led me to remember my first yoghurt experience. It was 1968 and I had just come back to England from Singapore and I had never had yoghurt before. My mum wouldn’t let me have one but my grandma hid one in the pantry for me. It was raspberry and very sour so I only sneaked one finger full at a time. I remember it vividly. Do any of you have similar memories?

Dogsmakemesmile Thu 30-Jun-22 12:58:59

Longley Farm fan here.

Georgesgran Thu 30-Jun-22 13:01:48

I don’t know if it’s any healthier but I bought an Easy-Yo kit and make my own from their sachets. All different consistencies and flavours, including low fat. Got mine from QVC years ago, but also available in Lakeland.

karmalady Thu 30-Jun-22 13:04:09

ski hazlenut yoghurt, no yoghurt has ever been as nice since then

eazybee Thu 30-Jun-22 13:37:24

I remember my first yoghurt, in the 1960s. It was like my first (only) taste of gorgonzola; I thought someone was playing a bad joke on me. Only recently been able to eat yoghurt, and that is plain Greek yoghurt.

TerriBull Thu 30-Jun-22 13:45:33

I remember Ski yogurts, pretty horrible imo. I love proper Greek Yogurt I eat it with fruit or hazelnuts and honey.

MayBee70 Thu 30-Jun-22 13:48:56

I can still remember eating a Ski orange yoghurt in the late 70’s that I think had gone off. Strange that because I don’t remember much about food I’ve eaten. A few years later a yoghurt and an apple was what I always had for lunch; used to sit in the car on my lunch break reading. It’s something we just take for granted now, isn’t it. I can’t eat a curry without having plain yoghurt with it.

Granmarderby10 Thu 30-Jun-22 14:01:52

My first yoghurt was Ski orange flavour and later had a taste of someone’s hazelnut one.

1summer Thu 30-Jun-22 14:12:24

Hate flavoured yogurts they always taste of chemicals to me. My first taste years ago was also Ski, used to eat them as I thought they were healthy but didn’t like them although I remember liking the hazelnut one. I only eat Greek Yogurt now ( not Greek style). The Brooklea one from Aldi is quite good. But nothing beats fresh local yogurt in Greece with spoons of local honey. Delicious

shandi6570 Thu 30-Jun-22 14:32:45

Another Longley farm yoghurt (especially hazelnut) and cottage cheese addict. I buy them from Morrisons, the only place I have found them here in the Midlands.

Esspee Thu 30-Jun-22 14:33:56

It amazes me that people seem to have forgotten that the benefit of yoghurt was due to the fact it was a live culture.
Almost all the so called yoghurts on the supermarket shelves today are pasteurised so killing off the good bacteria. You have to search to find ones marked live culture.
I buy the one from The Collective and sometimes Proviact, Lidl’s version of Activia.

Grammaretto Thu 30-Jun-22 14:57:16

I guess we were quite an arty family . My mum made yoghurt in the airing cupboard.
The first ski yoghurts I bought had strawberry, real fruit! in them and tasted wonderful. This will have been 1963/1964 Chelsea, London where I worked at my first Saturday job at Peter Jones.
There was a new Safeway supermarket nearby in the King's Road- so very American and stylish. I bought granary bread too.
I loved to shop there.

Allsorts Thu 30-Jun-22 15:02:23

I love Greek unsugared yoghurt.

Chestnut Thu 30-Jun-22 15:02:40

craftyone

hazelnut, yummy, will never forget hazelnut yoghurt

Me too! The supermarkets still sell hazelnut yoghurt.

Longley Farm make lots of flavours but only Morrisons sells them! They even make my very favourite apple yoghurt but just my luck Morrisons don't sell that.

Chestnut Thu 30-Jun-22 15:09:13

Grammaretto

I guess we were quite an arty family . My mum made yoghurt in the airing cupboard.
The first ski yoghurts I bought had strawberry, real fruit! in them and tasted wonderful. This will have been 1963/1964 Chelsea, London where I worked at my first Saturday job at Peter Jones.
There was a new Safeway supermarket nearby in the King's Road- so very American and stylish. I bought granary bread too.
I loved to shop there.

Snap! On Saturdays I worked at Boots in the Kings Road, Chelsea in 1965. It was next to a supermarket (presumably Safeway). Further down the road nearer Peter Jones was a counter-top Sainburys where I bought my lunch. I thought Sainburys then took over the other one.

MrsKen33 Thu 30-Jun-22 15:09:26

Sainsburys used to do a set yogurt in the 1960s. Loved it. I only eat Greek yogurt now and add my own fruit.

25Avalon Thu 30-Jun-22 15:21:50

First tried at the Ideal Food Exhibition at Olympia in early 60’s. Very different from today’s mass produced Yoghourt and I preferred it. Although sharp I especially liked the Apricot one. Now I get thick plain Yoghourt and add my own fruit.

dustyangel Thu 30-Jun-22 15:52:26

I buy Yeo valley active yoghurt when I’m in England but I can’t get it here. Instead get Activia natural yoghurt which occasionally says it’s live but although I have my doubts.

As an occasional treat DH and I have Brunch out on Sunday at our local Waitrose type supermarket. He sometimes has a change but often joins me in having a bowl of Greek yoghurt topped with granola and fruit. With a small pot of honey as an option on the side.

sf101 Thu 30-Jun-22 15:52:46

I can remember my first taste of yoghurt as a child in the sixties. It was a ski yoghurt and it had that lovely sour taste. Today's yoghurts are nothing that.

Blondiescot Thu 30-Jun-22 16:08:44

If anyone has one of the Ninja Foodi multi-cookers, depending on the model, you can make yogurt in them. I have the 9-in-1 which has the yogurt function and you can make a huge batch of it very cheaply. You can strain it through muslin to make it even thicker - like proper Greek yogurt.

Grammaretto Thu 30-Jun-22 16:23:34

What a coincidence chestnut you at Boots, me at Peter Jones and my DS had a job at Joseph the hairdresser. Who later became v famous.
We couldn't afford to shop in the trendy boutiques. I think my wages were 15/- for a morning . A ski yoghurt was c9d

Grandma70s Thu 30-Jun-22 16:28:19

I must have been in my 20s when the first yogurts became easily available, but I don’t remember my first taste. I was used to the petits suisses my mother used to buy, a sort of fromage frais that tasted very like yogurt. My mother had discovered them when she lived in France.

The only flavoured yogurt I buy is ginger, but I love plain yogurt with a sprinkle of sugar or a bit of fruit

mokryna Thu 30-Jun-22 16:37:40

First experience, very bitter, ski didn’t like them. When I had three DDs at home I used to make them every evening, I still have the machine.
I can never understand why they are so expensive in the UK.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 30-Jun-22 17:03:30

I make our own, a litre at a time and then just add flavours as needed

tiredoldwoman Thu 30-Jun-22 17:09:58

I remember the choc top ones too , rockgran ! yumyum !

Beautful Thu 30-Jun-22 19:28:16

Remember my first yoghurt well ! Over 50 years ago ... someone at work was eating one so I decided to buy one ... so sour ... mouthful of yoghurt then a bite of an apple !