Gransnet forums

Chat

im a traveller, you are a tourist

(131 Posts)
petunia Wed 26-Feb-20 10:43:09

Headlines today, Prince Harry, flying in from Canada to host a conference on sustainable travel and ways for ordinary travellers to offset the damage that travel does. errrr

This is just the tip of the iceberg though. How often does some celeb preach that the lower orders should change their behaviour while the celeb continues to do the very thing that is causing the damage.

JenniferEccles Wed 26-Feb-20 16:01:29

It’s a classic example of rank hypocrisy but entirely typical.

I notice ‘she who must be obeyed’ didn’t accompany him.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 26-Feb-20 16:08:11

I am behind the sofa with you so I hope there is room. My once a year flights will continue until I see private planes, helicopters etc banned, along with people doing the school run when they are only going a mile or less. Rant over, time for another Easter biscuit and a coffee.

merlotgran Wed 26-Feb-20 16:10:26

if the virus keeps going then the travel will stop

It would be ironic if Harry had to self-isolate in Frogmore Cottage.

They may like to think they can change the world but they're not invincible.

merlotgran Wed 26-Feb-20 16:20:26

TBH I wouldn't blame Meghan for not coming over with Archie if we get any more people testing positive.

Some more public events might be cancelled before her engagement is scheduled. The Ireland v Italy Six Nations rugby match has.

quizqueen Wed 26-Feb-20 16:41:06

I am no longer interested in what non Royals do and I very much doubt Meghan will come in March or go to Beatrice's wedding. Harry has slipped from probably being the most liked in that family to just above Andrew now!!!!!

NotSpaghetti Wed 26-Feb-20 17:07:03

I don't think Meghan will come. I can't remember where I read it but I think it was a Canadian newspaper quoting "a friend".
I think it's likely she and the toddler will stay at home.

SueDonim Wed 26-Feb-20 17:10:20

I’ll bring biscuits, GrannyGravy & Barmey! cupcake

Calendargirl Wed 26-Feb-20 18:55:11

Said on the BBC 6 o’ clock News that Meghan is coming next week.

Anniebach Wed 26-Feb-20 19:02:45

So we pay for security for Harry in the UK and for Megan in
Canada .

The cost of their security was questioned in parliament this
week.

Grammaretto Wed 26-Feb-20 19:23:12

I agree with pinkquartz the silver lining in this horrid virus may be people stop and think about Climate Change if nothing else will make them wake up and realise we are all involved.

It is hypocrisy when the rich can swan about wishing they had the sky to themselves.
It has always been thus.

In the 2nd world war, my DM was evacuated with her school - she was a teacher - to a remote part of Worcestershire where they were housed in a stately home with its own home farm. No rationing there and when one posh visitor arrived by car from London for the weekend my DM innocently asked where they had got the petrol. She didn't get a reply, just a blush.

Jishere Thu 27-Feb-20 11:30:40

Do as I say and not as I Do! Wasn't that the same with actress Emma Thompson flew over for the demonstration?? I saw a celeb praising his wife and daughter for joining the demo but someone called him out on the earlier photo of him going to get on a private plane. 'Oh but that was for work!'

With the coronvirus if they haven't stopped the flights already I can't see them stopping them now. Any signs then they are relying on self isolation to stop it spreading.

Stella14 Thu 27-Feb-20 11:31:48

That really annoyed me. Interestingly, in recent years, the tourist industry has done more to save endangered species, the environment etc, than anything else. Travelling raises awareness and people pay to see animals and beautiful places, raising issues of pollution and rubbish disposal and bringing about improvements. These improvements are motivated by the huge amount of money in the tourist industry, but that’s fine because it works.

Sillyoldfool Thu 27-Feb-20 11:38:35

I believe the science and do not subscribe to this climate hypocrisy. Climate change is natural occurrence. We are being by manipulated to keep the plebs down. We should concentrate on pollution, which is man made. I’m coming behind the sofa

lavenderzen Thu 27-Feb-20 11:43:25

I do wish Harry would stop this it is so hypocritical. He is slowly losing my support and I suspect many others.

lavenderzen Thu 27-Feb-20 11:44:49

Sorry I am going off on a bit of a tangent, I have just listened to him at the meeting yesterday.

orly Thu 27-Feb-20 11:56:56

#@%*##+! gypsies

Janetashbolt Thu 27-Feb-20 12:02:02

Too many people. If population halved there'd be no issues with flying, fresh water, food, resources in general.

Grandmabeach Thu 27-Feb-20 12:27:34

I am joining the others behind the sofa. Being of a generation that never used disposable nappies, hung washing on a line as I never had a tumble dryer, did not use bottled water, waited until I got to work for coffee and hardly wasted any food. I am now retired and want to spend that time travelling often to areas who need tourists to help their local economy. I refuse to be dictated to by Harry, Meghan and so called celebrities who can afford to travel by private planes or yachts.

Lancslass1 Thu 27-Feb-20 12:58:22

When Archie is older and goes to school how will this work if his parents are popping back and forth across the Atlantic?
Another point.
Harry used to be a smiling ,cheerful young man.
He doesn’t appear to be very happy now.
Sadly I fear what he wants will not happen.

Gingergirl Thu 27-Feb-20 13:00:10

Agree with Lavenderzen, I try to support Harry and Meghan but I think they should have both flown here at the same time at least, so that would be one less flight. (And I would’ve loved them to have stayed in the uk for good). It does seem wrong that sustainable travel should be discussed by people flying in to the event. We really must stop talking about climate issues and really do something....and Harry could lead the way-I fear he won’t.

maddyone Thu 27-Feb-20 13:18:58

I’m joining you all behind GrannyGravy’s sofa. I’ll bring some cupcake and wine, it’s a H+M thread, we could be here for a while.

4allweknow Thu 27-Feb-20 13:58:46

It's the forthcoming climate problem conference being held in Glasgow I really question. Hundreds of people, leaders and entourage all probably flying in, driving to and from the conference arena. Would be surprised if train and bus travel were the main methods of transportation. Police from all over UK are having to travel and be billeted to help with security. Did notice Harry carried his own bag at the station. Wonder if world leaders etc will be doing the same in November!

Esmerelda Thu 27-Feb-20 14:24:59

I don't know why people seem to enjoy Harry (and even more Meghan) bashing ... no wonder he doesn't look happy over here when he's surrounded by a sea of sour grapes.
But that's by the by. Quite frankly, like Harry, I will continue to take commercial flights (as he did, no private jet for him) to visit all the places I never had a chance to see before because I was working too hard. Over population is the principal cause of climate change/global warming, not air travel, and I don't have any children so the buck stops with me. Also I don't drive (I walk or use public transport), I don't eat red meat and I read ingredients to make sure things I buy at the supermarket don't contain palm oil (fresh produce is best and that's what I try to use, even growing veg/fruit as much as possible so no carbon footprint). I'm doing my bit as much as I can so I'll continue to fly and I won't be feeling guilty about it. Therefore I'll not be donning any tin helmet and hiding behind the sofa, though I'll be glad to ferry wine and chocolate to those who are!

SueDonim Thu 27-Feb-20 14:28:35

If we’re in it for the duration, Maddyone, I’ll bring some squishy cushions to sit on.

Esmerelda Thu 27-Feb-20 14:32:53

And cushions ... even blakets if necessary! ???