Gransnet forums

Chat

Solitary confinement

(133 Posts)
watermeadow Mon 16-Mar-20 20:35:20

So we old people should be staying home, isolated, for 12 weeks.
I understand that this government has decimated the NHS and knows it can’t cope with millions of sick old people but this advice is not realistic.
I’m used to spending most of my time alone and have family nearby to help but 3 months of solitary confinement would drive me bonkers. Many others, with fewer resources, could be found dead because they ran out of food or money for the meter or the will to live.
Do you intend to spend that long cut off from humanity?

ReadyMeals Wed 18-Mar-20 09:33:45

I'd actually find it quite comforting to have police and army all over our streets. In recent years we have been plagued by crime including burglaries. I bet the crime rate plummets with houses occupied all day and police everywhere questioning everyone. Can't wait till it reaches the UK!

ReadyMeals Wed 18-Mar-20 09:34:32

And how are the drug dealers coping with the lockdown? There could be good coming from this along with the bad.

GrannyLaine Wed 18-Mar-20 09:36:54

Good question ReadyMeals Anyone on here have contacts?

Nonnie Wed 18-Mar-20 09:54:00

Laughterlines Wed 18-Mar-20 09:23:18 I like that. We probably need the Borrowers as well because DH never puts anything in the same place twice!

Daffy flowers

Our GP surgery is closed and all appointment are by phone. Presumably if more is required arrangements would be made. GP just called DH instead of a routine appointment and DH told him we are under House Arrest! Well we have definitely been told by our DSs that we must not leave the house.

Pittcity Wed 18-Mar-20 11:20:15

Well I have been clearing cupboards and have assembled all the part used mini toiletries brought home from holiday over the years and found some hand gel and a half bottle of multi purpose soap. These will all be used before I buy any more.
I seem to be spending more money than usual on "just in case..."

Nannylovesshopping Wed 18-Mar-20 11:26:44

My cheer me thought today is better to self isolate in the coming hopefully better weather than in the depths of winter, changing the clock at end of month is very cheering to me. Apologies if someone else up thread has posted same thoughts?

Luckygirl Wed 18-Mar-20 12:04:34

Changing the clock......ah yes - definitely something to look forward to! smile

undecided Wed 18-Mar-20 12:27:51

Best thing is to take it day by day. Only thing I really hope is that we can still walk the dog or at least go for a walk even if we have to avoid people. Just the fresh air lifts my mood! If we are not allowed to do that then I will feel miserable - otherwise with the internet and social media and Granset we will survive!!! It is so nice to hear from people all over the place and to see all the different ways of managing things.

Nonnie Wed 18-Mar-20 12:48:08

DS and DiL keep doing their best for us and saying that soon it will be warm enough for us to all sit in the garden and eat and chat together, just with a big space around each of us!

Iam64 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:04:44

I tick three of the reasons to self isolate and have been reducing social contact for the past week. We usually look after our young grandchildren during the week but their parents told us at the weekend, they'd manage somehow as they want to protect us. We've face timed the children (and their parents of course). We are thankful we can do that but we miss them lots and that will continue for at least three months.
We're walking the dogs twice a day. Plan to make use of our local Sainsbury opening at 7.30 am for us oldies. Our village shop has started a list of people in our group who may need food delivering. There's also a facebook group, initiated by a couple of people in our local Labour Party but now involving lots of non Labour people. They are supporting the food banks and helping isolated older people get prescriptions, library books and so on.
If something positive emerges in our rather fragmented communities as a result of this awful virus, that will be something to cherish.
Our garden needs attention and if/when the rain ever stops and the weather warms up a bit, we can enjoy that.
Keep safe everyone and try to make the most of a slower pace of life

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:08:00

Yes I quite like the idea of a slower pace of life. Not that it is ever rushed?

MissAdventure Wed 18-Mar-20 17:22:41

Yes, me too. smile

watermeadow Wed 18-Mar-20 18:13:31

So, those of us under house arrest, what have you done today? I mowed the grass for the first time this year. It was very long after a very warm winter. Also made 2 cushions.

Sparklefizz Wed 18-Mar-20 18:51:45

I find my phone is constantly ringing and pinging, watermeadow because all my isolated friends and family are deciding to phone for a chat. I have not crossed much off my list!

MamaCaz Wed 18-Mar-20 19:01:30

Sparklefizz
I find my phone is constantly ringing and pinging, watermeadow because all my isolated friends and family are deciding to phone for a chat.

OH and I have found the same thing. I know we should be both grateful and pleased that so many people want to chat with us, but to be honest, it's reached the point now where we are both uttering not-very-polite things every time one of the phones rings or pings!
There have been two more pings while I was writing this post!

Iam64 Wed 18-Mar-20 20:05:37

Same here, phone calls from a couple of friends who live a couple of hours drive away, we do meet up but have fallen into the habit of text/email rather than phone chats. Great to be back on the landline.
I cleared out the CD rack, culled anything scratched or not wanted. All covers and shelves washed down with hot soapy water. Tomorrow I'm starting on the cupboard in the dog room. (that could take till September, when we may be allowed out again. )

Sheana61 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:42:30

Wish I had phone calls to ignore

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 15:51:43

Watched my DGC having fun in their garden, courtesy of WhatsApp! Chatted to DDs courtesy of Facetime.
Wandered around the garden deciding what to grow this year and decided veg is the best thing. Dig for Victory

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 15:52:46

Do you have someone you can phone, Sheana?

If not, you can 'chat' on here, there is always someone around.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 21-Mar-20 15:56:57

I gave the lawn it’s first cut today, it’s a bit damp, but it looks better, lots of wild violets again this year.
We’ve cleared a corner of the garden for a compost heap and figured out where to put small poly tunnel. We also cut down the Virginia creeper as it’s lifting the garage tiles and trying to climb into the oil tank.
I took the last piece of Christmas cake out of the freezer this morning so I’m off to have ‘a cup of tea and a slice of cake’

MamaCaz Sat 21-Mar-20 16:42:18

I was up at 6am, and have had a busy day. It started slowly, with a leisurely breakfast, doing some language learning on Duolingo at the same time. Then I finished a pair of gloves that I started making yesterday as a little birthday gift for someone.
Then 8-ish I had a video chat with DS2 and dgd. After I'd got dressed, I put some washing on, then went out into the garden to lift some self-down seedlings for the dgc, who are about to start a little garden plot each.

Next, I had to help OH with some printing, and try, unsuccessfully, to work out why the printer isn't working properly.

Since then, I have started cutting some fabric up for my next craft project. Broke off briefly from that to have a chat with DS2 and family, when they stopped by to collect the plants and bring me a bag of garden compost. (We are in isolation, so the compost will be left where it is for a few days, and the conversation was conducted from the upstairs window - not sure what the neighbours made of that!)

Next, a long Whatsapp video chat with my mum.
Only a week ago, I would have laughed at that idea, as she struggles to do anything beyond opening emails on her tablet, but since Ds2 remotely set Whatsapp up on it for her last Sunday, she has amazed me by not only managing to 'accept' my calls, but even initiating them herself on a couple of occasions,

That was followed by a short but brisk walk across our local fields, vast enough to give anyone else a wide berth should it be necessary, though I didn't see another soul anyway.

Now, I'm relaxing , but might go do some more crafting soon.
Actually, no - the mention of cake has set my tastebuds tingling, so I might go make a tiny microwave cake and use up the solitary lemon that has been sitting in my fridge for weeks.

It's exhausting, this self-isolation, grin

Anniebach Sat 21-Mar-20 16:46:15

Have done two crosswords, one killer suduko, read threads here, had two liquid replacement meals and a sleep on the sofa .

Luckygirl Sat 21-Mar-20 16:49:41

Killer sudoko - well done - how I wish I had a mathematical brain!

Grammaretto Sat 21-Mar-20 17:18:42

We've had our first row! not ever, but since we have had to be isolating.
He is miserable. He is such a sociable creature whereas I can enjoy solitude.
What a miss match and how we survived 50 years, I do not know!
I think I may have to open the bar...........medicinal of course.

Sparklefizz Sat 21-Mar-20 17:22:38

My phone soon stopped ringing and pinging after the initial flurry of calls.