Gransnet forums

Chat

I just put our delivered daily paper in the oven...

(41 Posts)
Witzend Sat 21-Mar-20 09:13:10

...in the hope of killing off any bugs. About 20 mins at 100 deg. fan.
It has come out unscathed.
I would hope that any fiendish little bugs are not.

Nandalot Sat 21-Mar-20 13:30:55

What I worry about are the taps. If you turn the taps on with infected fingers, wash hands and then switch taps off surely you hands get reinfected?

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:38:10

I also have heard it all re the newspaper. Why not sit down, read the paper, then discard it and wash your hands?

May I ask generally where has common sense gone- out of the window?

Callistemon Sat 21-Mar-20 13:40:37

If we are self-isolating and haven't got the virus to begin with, I don't see how taps, door handles etc in our own homes can become infected.

Or am I missing something?

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:43:58

Callistemon -quite!

Cabbie21 Sat 21-Mar-20 13:59:00

I have just received a Royal Mail delivery of flowers for Mothering Sunday. The postman rang the bell, left it on the doorstep then retreated to the roadside, waited till I opened the door and waved. Perfect behaviour, but I am still not sure about opening the cardboard box of flowers. I can hardly put them in the oven! Feel I am getting paranoid.

curvygran Sat 21-Mar-20 14:01:21

Cabbie21, open the box , take out the flowers, leave box outside (garage,porch,) then wash your hands! Easy ! No box baking required!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:02:48

What started me off was a video made by some medics showing how the virus spreads from surface to surface, if care isn’t taken. It was all over the medical notes and went from paper to paper, hand to hand.

tanith Sat 21-Mar-20 14:02:50

You can open the box, arrange the flowers and then put the box to recycling without touching doors, then thorough hand washing, simples.

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:02:54

curvygran spot on. May I mention this is called common sense?

Greeneyedgirl Sat 21-Mar-20 14:14:04

If I read any more posts like this I am going to become ill............with paranoia ?

Charleygirl5 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:17:17

So many threads are becoming plain stupid I feel like leaving GN until common sense returns. I agree, I have never read such rubbish for yonks.

Cabbie21 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:21:21

Thanks Curvygran.

craftyone Sat 21-Mar-20 14:21:35

I am ditching the outer sheet and giving it a quick read but I have cancelled after today, I am going online instead. That will also help with recycling

Kittye Sat 21-Mar-20 14:48:53

I’ve read the newspaper and turned pages without gloves on, Taken in Mother’s Day flowers and a card. Post from letterbox and to top it all I’ve got supermarket delivery coming tonight. I’m blowed if I’m going to start washing down my shopping. Stop the world I want to get off ?

Cherrytree59 Sat 21-Mar-20 15:43:59

Newspaper are available online.
And are up to date.

Things are changing almost by the minute, so by the time you read your daily newspaper, it is out of date.