Gransnet forums

Chat

Isolating the vulnerable on Mothering Sunday and beyond.

(43 Posts)
granjan Sat 21-Mar-20 09:44:55

Anyone booked for The ‘sold out’ tea at Highclere Castle this Sunday? I haven’t booked for it, but am surprised it’s still going ahead!
I was actually looking at the website because I am due to go in a April with some of my fellow Women’s institute friends, travelling on a mini bus from London. We are mostly of a ‘vulnerable age’, I was more than a little surprised to see, at the moment anyway, the Castle is still due to open. Obviously because they will lose revenue if they cancel it (It’s sold out),
If I or any of my friends cancel now, we will lose out! I imagine they are shutting their eyes and hoping for the best. It does say they are taking steps to protect staff and visitors but not exactly what they are doing. It is a bit worrying!

JenniferEccles Sun 22-Mar-20 08:51:11

I am sure the Crawley family would have something to say about this !

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 09:12:43

Offering you an alternative date, regardless of whether it is convenient to you does not absolve them from returning your deposit if that date is not convenient for you.

Wedding deposits are quite substantial so it would probably be worth the cost of a solicitors letter, stating the law (which is against them) and threatening them with legal action if they do not return the deposit forthwith.

Marydoll Sun 22-Mar-20 09:15:43

It is not just the deposit, the full amount has been paid! They have saved for years for this, as have we.

We are on the case, but family, friends and neighbours are alsospreading the word.

gillybob Sun 22-Mar-20 09:24:27

Exactly what M0nica said. The fact that they cancelled and the offered date is not convenient for you means that they must refund Marydoll . angry

ninathenana Sun 22-Mar-20 09:44:54

Marydoll I am disgusted to read this. I knew your poor daughters wedding was cancelled but not the circumstances. I am both angry and saddened on your families behalf.

Jane10 Sun 22-Mar-20 10:00:46

I paid a very high profile hotel in full a non refundable amount to take advantage of a special offer. We were to have gone next week. I contacted them to cancel our booking last week. More in hope than expectation, I asked if our booking could be deferred. They immediately offered a full refund. No quibble. The money was back in my account the next day. Excellent customer service from a posher place than one in Glasgow. It had been a special treat. I'll name but not shame the wonderful Savoy Hotel in London. We'll be there ASAP.

Marydoll Sun 22-Mar-20 10:25:03

This is apretigious hotel group in Scotland. What they are unaware of is a menber of our family is a corporate lawyer based in London, who will be assisting us.

I paid part of it with my M&S credit card and they ahve been most helpful. However, we have to go through all the other options first.

M0nica Sun 22-Mar-20 11:28:39

Marydoll there is nothing to beat a lawyer in the family or friendship group. You will get your money back.

Marydoll Sun 22-Mar-20 11:31:47

I have just emailed the CEO and mentioned the fact that Channel 5 news asked me for an interview after picking up the story here.
Let's see what happens.

Daisymae Sun 22-Mar-20 11:41:43

Outrageous! Can't believe that the function at Highclere is going ahead. Anyone thinking of going should stay at home. Just listen to interviews given by ICU staff. Would you risk going there as a patient for a cream tea? What about the staff?

Daisymae Sun 22-Mar-20 11:46:07

Had a quick look on Trip Advisor, Highclere are getting lots of one star reviews for refusing refunds etc. They really need to review their stance.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Mar-20 11:56:15

marydoll you may already have been told this as I haven’t read every post but if you or whoever paid by credit card they will act on your behalf My grandson had his holiday scupered by the holiday firm because of the red sandstorms that hit Canaries a few weeks ago he stayed in Stansted two days and when they said they’d try and send him somewhere else on the third day he refused as he’d only taken five days leave off work When my daughter took it up with the travel company they said no refunds because they d offered him something else She had paid on her credit card rang them and they were disgusted and said they would take it up immediately with the firm within a week she had her money gone back on her card
Hope that might help if not you anyone else who might be in a pickle

suziewoozie Sun 22-Mar-20 12:00:15

Blue I think it’s much better to fight the hotel as an individual to give them the negative publicity so richly deserved.

Marydoll Sun 22-Mar-20 12:15:06

We will ensure the hotel group gets as much negative publicity as possible.
We do have insurance, but they are already trying to find loopholes.

My credit card company M&S have been very supportive too. We are exploring all the options.

cornergran Sun 22-Mar-20 12:15:25

I hope justice and common sense prevails marydoll. Sending love to you and the family.

Marydoll Sun 22-Mar-20 12:18:20

Thank you, Corner

J52 Sun 22-Mar-20 13:03:02

What awful and appalling treatment Marydoll. Your poor daughter.
Not in the same league, but a large group of my girlfriends and I were supposed to be going to Derbyshire next week end. The cost £3000, the owner is refusing a refund or an alternate date. She is possibly willing to refund £300 cleaning fee.
Unfortunately not on Trip Advisor.
Paid by bank transfer so no credit card back up.
Profiteers!