Gransnet forums

Chat

I tried, I really did......

(400 Posts)
phoenix Sat 28-Mar-20 15:19:11

Hello all, extra good wishes to you all.

Well, the newspaper (only once a week) needed to be collected from the village shop, so Mr P asked what else we needed. There were things that he had been unable to get from his supermarket trip, so I jotted them down, in clear, large print, giving additional verbal instructions suggestions.

(The village shop now has a "non browsing" policy, and have set up a counter in the doorway. Shoppers are encouraged to arrive with a written list, which they give to the staff member.)

His first attempt was aborted, he was shock to see the queue stretching 200 metres back down to the village square!

He came home, but said he would go back in an hour or so.

So, we had a light lunch (cheese on toast) and off he went.

I was planning to make creamed cabbage to go with the chicken hot pot for Sunday, so my list included a small green cabbage, and some cream.

I had actually said to himself "Don't get a white cabbage, it won't work, and if they don't have green cabbage, we won't need the cream, and we can just use the extra broccoli that you bought that we didn't need yesterday. He looked at me and nodded, as if to say "Roger! Willco!" and off he went.

The bit regarding "If no lettuce, get mushrooms, we will have to have steak, chips & mushrooms instead of our usual steak, salad & jp's" (Not as healthy, but needs must wink) seemed to have been taken on board.

However I'm now the less than proud owner of a very large white cabbage, and a large pot of cream confused.

I will list the white cabbage on the village FB page, there must be someone with a large family who can use it! (Can be left in a bag on our doorstep for collection) and I suppose I could make creamed broccoli!

Before anyone castigates me (big word for a Saturday) I really do appreciate the fact that Mr P does get the shopping, this post is meant to be a bit of lighthearted stuff!

Eloethan Sat 28-Mar-20 17:04:36

My husband is far more efficient than I am. I quite often make a list and then leave it at home or put it somewhere in my bag where it manages to hide from me! Or, even if I've got the list, I miss something off it. And I tend to daydream and dawdle when shopping, whereas my husband gets all the shopping done in half the time.

I hope that redresses the balance a little Grandad1943. I have to admit, though, I thought these posts were funny. I expect you feel that men are being stereotyped and "got at" - and, to be honest, I can understand you feeling that way. But I believe these little stories are not intended to be hurtful. They are far less offensive than the way some men talk about women.

EllanVannin Sat 28-Mar-20 17:06:02

>>>>>>>can't help but laugh, my dear old dad was like this. Mum used to call him a " wool gatherer ?". As kids, brother and I used to wonder what he'd come back with grin

Grandad1943 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:06:32

Well if you ladies enjoy this Benny Hill type humour in reverse so be it. However, we see that type of humour so often condemned on this forum when women are the subject of it. ??

phoenix Sat 28-Mar-20 17:08:18

Erm, Grandad1943 I'm actually on NHS lockdown, due to COPD, so may I politely ask you to Papa Oscar, I would love to do the shopping, but cant. You know nothing about our circumstances.

phoenix Sat 28-Mar-20 17:10:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

May7 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:15:54

phoenix dont take the bait. Sorry you are in Lockdown you must be feeling really low. The OP is a good one and making us all laugh including my DH. Just step over and carry onthanks

Grandad1943 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:20:45

Phoenix, many millions of us are in lockdown, and in that and with every respect, your husband going shopping and coming back to the house dramatically increases the threat of infection to yourself i feel.

There are many volunteer groups now formed who will do the shopping for households in lockdown. Fortunately, our three daughters are sharing the burden of getting our shopping and leaving it outside.

Just wonderfull of them. ?

Marydoll Sat 28-Mar-20 17:25:57

DH has to do most of the shopping due to my ill health. If I had forgotten something on the list, I couldn't add to it later, as his phone is permanently switched to silent! ?

I discovered an electronic shopping list app and it is marvellous, as I type it on my tablet and DH reads it on his phone. I put specific instructions on it to avoid the unwanted substitutions and there have been some crackers.
Grandad, this is not meant to be patronising, by the way.

During the week, as I'm now on lockdown, DH went off to Morrisons at 8am, only to message me to say it was closed. I tried phoning him, to no avail. I then phoned DD who lives nearby and was working from home, asked her to go and tell him to wait, as it was opening slighter later.

The next minute, I noticed the shopping list getting smaller, he was obviously now in the store and going round, checking off the items. Beep, beep, beep! (Panic over) Once you have your item, you check the box and they are deleted from the list. You are then only left with what's not available.
Bread flour and sanitiser have remained on the list for weeks now!
It's a great tracking device, ladies (and gents). wink

Grandad1943, I can see your point, but it was meant to be a lighthearted post in these dark times.

Marydoll Sat 28-Mar-20 17:30:23

There maybe volunteers in your area Grandad, but none here. You are very fortunate that you have your daughters.

Some of our wonderful children are not always in a position to always be able to help. Two are also in lockdown with their partners.

SirChenjin Sat 28-Mar-20 17:32:09

Grandad thinks this forum is full of “wholesale misandry” and seems to think it’s his role to be the voice of The Male - even on lighthearted threads like this that don’t require it. Don’t rise to it phoenix smile

Grandad1943 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:32:21

If mocking husbands and men in general is your humour Marydoll so be it, although it would seem to be very outdated humour to very many.

Also in my above post, I was genuinely suggesting to the opening poster the hazards there may be of her husband doing the shopping.

It was just a thought.

SirChenjin Sat 28-Mar-20 17:33:46

Don’t think Grandad - it’s not required of you. We’ll let you know when we need the benefit of your male input.

sodapop Sat 28-Mar-20 17:34:31

Just to redress the balance Grandad1943 my husband does all the shopping and cooking and very well too.
However Phoenix was cheering us up with tales from the life of Mr P so don't take all the fun out of things. I'm sure Mr P sees the funny side as well.

Grandad1943 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:39:20

I am glad you brought up the misandry issue yet again in a thread SirChenjin. It demonstrates that is constantly in the minds of some forum members. ?

May7 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:44:30

Has anyone been out shopping today? Have the loo rolls come back in yet. Just wondering what the state of play was at the moment ?
I'm down to my last 2

SirChenjin Sat 28-Mar-20 17:46:20

One male member Grandad

Now, if you don’t mind, we’d like to get back to the thread as it was before your attempt at derailing it.

JuliaM Sat 28-Mar-20 17:46:31

We ventured out today to buy some bread and collect the post for my elderly Dad who l have to help with his paperwork ect. DH jumps in the car, starts it up, drives a mile or so down the road, then announces that the fuel gauge must be stuck on full, as it had not budged for a couple of weeks since he last filled it up. Not wanting to run out of fuel, he drives straight to the station to top up with his usual £30 worth, only to find out it would only take £7.00 worth as it was well and truely filled to the brim, he had failed to make any allowance for the fact that the car had only been out to the local pharmacy and back since last time he had filled it up about a fortnight ago!

Grandad1943 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:46:41

sodapop, we all as both male and female have many times cocked up the shopping trip. However, it would make much better balance if ALL owned up to doing such things.

Many year ago I went out to get the Sunday joint from the Butchers and came back with a new radiogram. ??

SirChenjin Sat 28-Mar-20 17:47:33

May I am pleased to report that Sainsbury’s had plenty of loo rolls yesterday grin

Marydoll Sat 28-Mar-20 17:48:06

Well Grandad, you certainly have got the wrong end of the stick.

My husband is very careful. He goes out once a week and gets changed when he comes back. Everything is cleaned and disinfected. What do you want us to do? Starve?
We have a large house and plenty of space to keep away from each other.

Mocking husbands and men is not my sense of humour, as you suggest. How very judgemental. In fact I get on very well with men, probably better than I get on with women!
Where on this forum have I slagged off men?

My husband is a wonderful support to me, in what have been very difficult times in the last few years and he knows how much I value him.
However, he gives as good as he gets, so no need to worry on that score! wink

Phoenix, was just trying to be lighthearted and goodness knows, some of us need a bit of joy in our life at the moment.

Marydoll Sat 28-Mar-20 17:50:16

Now can we please get back to the lighthearted theme of this post?smile

MiniMoon Sat 28-Mar-20 17:50:31

I have to write a very detailed list for Mr. MM. He still manages to get it wrong sometimes. Mr P's mistakes reminded me of a funny story about sending a man shopping. I hope you don't mind me posting it, here it is.
youtu.be/-YFRUSTiFUs

HAZBEEN Sat 28-Mar-20 17:50:57

For goodness sake! There have been thread after thread asking people to be kind, supporting, and not to slag each other of. This was a light hearted thread to brighten our mood but some people cannot resist.
Grandad1943 go start your own thread about women if you want, Phoenix, Marydoll and the rest of us just want to have a bit of fun. Those 2 posters in particular have it hard at the moment (along with Gilly) so back off!!

Greymar Sat 28-Mar-20 17:56:35

Honestly I hate injustice, sexism and so on but this was a bit of fun. I remember early in my marriage asking my partner to bring a few things, bananas, a lemona and so on. Being a visula type of person, I could see these things quite clearly. He, however saw something else!

Similarly, there appears to part of my brain missing when it comes to maps and routes. How he use to say " But you've been there before" I just don't think like that.

Greymar Sat 28-Mar-20 17:57:09

( interesting typing there)