Gransnet forums

Chat

Good things about lockdown

(89 Posts)
BradfordLass73 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:19:49

Parents who, for economic reasons are both forced to work full time, can now enjoy the company of their children and get to know them. I used to LOVE school holidays with my boys.

All those little DIY jobs and household tasks you promised to do but didn't have time or energy, will now be accomplished.

Time to "stop and stare" and value what and who is around you.

Catch up on sleep when no tyrant alarm is shocking you awake at some ungodly hour. What bliss.

Have a better understanding of what it's like for people whose lives are, 'shut in' all the time.

Time for crafts, cooking, games and leisure pursuits.

Time to make up silly jokes about the future.

"Dad, why did you call my brother Paris?"
"Because he was conceived in Paris."
'Thanks Dad, good night."
'Night, Corona."

Care to add your own good thing?

red1 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:37:31

enforced isolation not a good thing,but choosing to do it is another thing,why do so many people go on retreats etc.
prisoners who put there head down and get on with it do better than those who don't. Our everyday lives are so distracted
its an opportunity in many ways to be alone with ourselves.
paint,read,draw,do nothing and rest after!

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:38:10

So glad i am retired and have a small pension so don't have to try the 'work at home' business. Have spent far too much time trying to organise delivery slots but have decided i just have to go to the shop. I am trying to catch up pn phoning friends to make sure they are OK - the phone has never been so busy. Managed facetime 'chats' with small granddaughter and her small cousin who just giggled at me. I'm quite happy, just watched Absolutely Fabulous on iplayer, giggles are compulsory. I do long for normality, but meantime DH and are are getting used to this new way of living

Retired65 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:38:11

Good things about this 'lockdown' are the fact that parents can spend more time with their children, less pollution, less noise from aeroplanes, trains and cars. Some of us may become more fitter with the name of online exercise classes that are coming on YouTube.

Esmerelda Tue 31-Mar-20 11:38:14

Agree with that last post, except it's not painting and decorating for me but blitzing the garden ... I'm loving it!

Wheniwasyourage Tue 31-Mar-20 11:39:18

CardiffJaguar, I am so sorry to hear of the death of your son. It is good that you have found the isolation to have been a help rather than a hindrance to you in what must be a very difficult time. flowers

Flakesdayout Tue 31-Mar-20 11:40:27

Im not missing the endless nuisance calls. Haven't had one yet asking if I have CV19!!

clareken Tue 31-Mar-20 11:42:47

I have wanted for so long to thoroughly clean the house, but never had the time. This week I realised that that was not the reason. (Seen on Facebook this morning)

grandtanteJE65 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:44:15

You do realise, don't you, ladies that you don't HAVE to answer your phone just because it rings?

I'd get on with the decorating and let the phone ring, then ring back later. Anyone daft enough to say, "I rang you earlier." would be told, "Yes, I was standing on my painter's scaffold painting a ceiling, but I can talk now."

hapgran Tue 31-Mar-20 11:44:34

Heartbreaking Cardiff jaguar. So sad for you. X

vintage1950 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:50:56

Many condolences, Cardiff Jaguar. flowers

Hetty58 Tue 31-Mar-20 11:50:59

Same here, grandtanteJE65. My phone records who rang when. I'll phone back when it's convenient. I still resent the sheer amount of 'just checking you're OK' calls. Why on Earth shouldn't I be?

Sometimes I just bulk email all my kids, relatives and friends - instead of individual chats. I really do like email more than phone calls. It's just like sending or receiving a letter.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 31-Mar-20 11:52:13

I'm getting more exercise than before, as we go for an early walk while it's quiet to get the 10,000 or more steps in before breakfast and then stay in or in the garden the rest of the day. Like others, I appreciate the lack of pressure.

We must all be aware that others may be having a horrible time for all sorts of reasons, but IMO it would be wrong not to appreciate things that we can enjoy - that doesn't make other people's misery worse (unless we go about gloating, I suppose).

Witzend Tue 31-Mar-20 11:52:36

I’ve noticed that dd and SiL (though mostly SiL since dd is occupied with very little ones) are getting on with some major jobs in home and garden that they didn’t get around to before.

They’re both very sociable so weekends previously were mostly taken up with visiting friends/having friends round/going to stay with friends/having friends to stay.

minxie Tue 31-Mar-20 12:02:58

I’m enjoying staying at home enormously at the moment.
I haven’t even been out for a walk. I do my chores and exercise in the morning then the rest of the day is my own. Thank goodness I’m a crafter and reader

Jaye53 Tue 31-Mar-20 12:05:29

Ive read the air quality is improving all over the globe

Kim19 Tue 31-Mar-20 12:16:30

Contrary to telephone calls interrupting my day, I find they embellish it. I've had some lovely lengthy chats with family and friends recently. Obviously things can wait. I don't want people to have to. I did have a master plan of all that I might achieve. Huh! Dream on. I seem to be doing things I want to rather than those that are in need. And why not, you say? Well there should be a happy medium and I confess to struggling to find it. However.... I am having a serious word with myself! Onwards!

sodapop Tue 31-Mar-20 12:22:36

So sorry to hear about your son CardiffJaguar it's good you have each other for comfort now. thanks

justwokeup Tue 31-Mar-20 12:24:48

Gardening here too, long overdue for various health and other reasons. I'm loving it, taking it slowly, and I also have a friend to help me. He's not much good at social distancing, and stands right by me watching me work, but he's cheerful, good at singing, and handsome too. Ok, he's a robin and he's probably telling me to hurry up and turn over some bugs for him, but I'm so glad he's chosen to keep me company.
So sorry about your son CardiffJaguar.

Brigidsdaughter Tue 31-Mar-20 12:28:12

CardiffJaguar I am so sorry for your loss. It's still very raw and I understand completely how this extra space would be good for you and yours.

DH and I are loving it although his work has reduced hugely. We have occ pensions so know we are fortunate. Son home from Nepal after difficult choice to cut short. (We lost our first son, his older brother, some time ago, so he knows bad things do happen).

We have always loved our own company. I have been busy with my clubs which are now closed. So lovely to clear the calendar without letting anyone down. Contact with others made. It's like stepping off the treadmill. Time to potter, potter, potter, start decluttering, laze. Walking every day.

Annaram1 Tue 31-Mar-20 12:30:19

CardiffJaguar, sorry to hear your sad news.

icanhandthemback Tue 31-Mar-20 12:37:58

Not to be on call to all my family is absolute heaven. I love them all dearly but with disability prominent in our family (I seem to be the healthiest of the walking wounded) I am usually the one who gets nominated for the caring. Of course I miss them, especially my ASD grandson, but I am enjoying the rest.

aonk Tue 31-Mar-20 12:40:28

I am truly grateful for everything I have. I’m healthy and have my DH and family. Also a comfortable house and garden. Unlike other posters however I can see no positive aspects to this situation. Every day is the same. I love the interruptions of visitors and the social interactions with friends and neighbours. I don’t mind the noise of planes or traffic. I love going out and all my interests involve being with others. My family keep in touch but there’s no time to chat as they’re all working at home and educating my grandchildren who I’m missing so much. Sorry but for me it’s just an endurance test. I repeat that I know how fortunate I am. Just can’t see any benefits in this situation.

BlueBelle Tue 31-Mar-20 12:45:28

So sorry cardiff thats is so awful to lose a child I am glad you are able to feel slightly better to be in and not with the wider public if you are feeling that is helpful

As for the original question I am completely different to everyone on here as I can find nothing at all positive about having to stay in solitude, I hate it and can think of not one advantage Our grandkids are going to have their education badly effected especially if they are older taking exams this year their future will be affected Many of our children will have lost jobs or be on the front line putting their lives at risk
Many people with mental health problems may be suicidal There is nothing at all positive about this situation and I don’t think you can separate being shut in with the reason we are shut in for
How anyone can love their own company is a saying I ve never ever understood its beyond me

Hattiehelga Tue 31-Mar-20 13:21:14

It was a lockdown 81st birthday for me on Sunday and I was resigned to the fact it would be just another day. Actually it was grand because so many family and friends who would normally send cards, emailed, texted messaged, facetimed and phoned. I spent almost all day chatting and several conversations not held for ages. Every cloud.....

kevincharley Tue 31-Mar-20 13:34:22

I've not had chance to enjoy it.
I work at a GPs surgery so we were flat out - until I started coughing. Once I've stopped coughing I'll be back to it.
So my experience of lockdown has been limited, I've slept for the main part!
I just wish more people would appreciate the time they've been given instead of bleating 'I'm bored'.