Gransnet forums

Chat

Good things about lockdown

(89 Posts)
BradfordLass73 Sat 28-Mar-20 20:19:49

Parents who, for economic reasons are both forced to work full time, can now enjoy the company of their children and get to know them. I used to LOVE school holidays with my boys.

All those little DIY jobs and household tasks you promised to do but didn't have time or energy, will now be accomplished.

Time to "stop and stare" and value what and who is around you.

Catch up on sleep when no tyrant alarm is shocking you awake at some ungodly hour. What bliss.

Have a better understanding of what it's like for people whose lives are, 'shut in' all the time.

Time for crafts, cooking, games and leisure pursuits.

Time to make up silly jokes about the future.

"Dad, why did you call my brother Paris?"
"Because he was conceived in Paris."
'Thanks Dad, good night."
'Night, Corona."

Care to add your own good thing?

bluebirdwsm Tue 31-Mar-20 19:33:28

Anniebach… I heard what you said and can only imagine the frustration of your situation, you sound very isolated. Is there any way someone can help you? Anyone locally who is a volunteer? Could you contact your local council office to see if anything is available to help?

I have trouble starting in my hands/wrists so I understand how difficult [and annoying] it makes every day life. Take care.

Albangirl14 Tue 31-Mar-20 20:52:21

So sorry to hear of your loss CardiffJaguar am glad that you have found some solace in having time together to mourn .
A friend lost her son recently and thinking about her has made me grateful for what I have and not complain about minor things.

Lorelei Tue 31-Mar-20 21:38:06

@CardiffJaguar - makes other things seem petty and unimportant when there you are finding solace in the enforced isolation to grieve for your beloved son, Robert. I doubt anything I or anyone else can say will be of much comfort but good you have each other for support and to share your pain with. I doubt anyone who read your post will not spare a few thoughts for you during their own isolation now. Sorry seems like an inadequate word in these circumstances. Take care of each other and stay safe flowers for you and flowers for Robert

@Anniebach , @Joplin , and anyone else finding it difficult to cope with the isolation, lack of help or any other enforced inconveniences, I hope somewhere out there will be a solution, at least to the things you need if not everything else that would make life a little easier or more comfortable.

I hope that Gransnet will remain a supportive forum during these uncertain and troubling times - so much in the news, online, on social media etc with people turning on each other, blaming each other, wishing bad on others, or boasting how well-prepared, well-off etc they are knowing many more have none of life's luxuries, are struggling one way or another. If people can't say something, nice, something encouraging, supportive, constructive, offer help etc then now is probably not a good time to be mean or critical (though I do understand that the behaviour of a few will anger the many) - people will never be perfect but it would be nice if, for the most part, they could try to be nice where possible.

Judy43 Tue 31-Mar-20 21:44:40

I was going to do baking but I don't have scales. Anyone here can remind me of cup spoon equivalent to weight measures? Used to know them. Reading instead.

Want2Help Tue 31-Mar-20 21:53:51

I'm with Gingster I haven't felt SO chilled in a very long time!! Plus I don't need to worry about my loved ones as I know exactly where they all are!! sunshine

bluejay29 Tue 31-Mar-20 22:01:37

Silent Nights, can leave my small bedroom window open and no traffic noise in the early morning, just the birds ... Bliss !!

Chewbacca Tue 31-Mar-20 22:09:59

Because there's so much less traffic going past, I was able to sit in my garden today and actually hear bees buzzing in the hedge. The sky was so clear, with no vapour trails from passing aircraft, and I watched 2 rooks chasing off a kestrel who was hovering near their nest. I wouldn't normally have had the time or solitude, to sit and watch that.

Grandma70s Tue 31-Mar-20 22:19:41

I’ve never lived anywhere noisy, so I don’t notice any difference, but my son who lives in central London is really enjoying the lack of traffic and planes.

I love knowing I can only be interrupted by the phone. No dropping in, so I don’t have to worry what I or the house look like. Luckily I have enough pride to get dressed every day and keep clean.

Gemini17892 Tue 31-Mar-20 22:35:54

I’m with you Gm70.

grannybuy Wed 01-Apr-20 00:17:36

CardiffJaguar. So sorry to read of your loss. I can understand how being able to close yourselves off will give you space to reflect and grieve. Thinking of you.

Hetty58 Wed 01-Apr-20 00:23:21

Knowing I can start on a project or two, stop and start again - with no danger of anyone visiting to interrupt, no need to tidy up either - before it's all finished!

BradfordLass73 Wed 01-Apr-20 00:36:28

I can eat as much garlic and raw onion as I like because I'm not breathing on anyone! grin

BradfordLass73 Wed 01-Apr-20 00:41:19

Here's a helpful site which will show you what a cup, teaspoon, tablespoon etc weigh

www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

And more if you look at the right side bar and its drop-down menu