Gransnet forums

Chat

How to meet men in real life?

(110 Posts)
ineedamum Sun 12-Apr-20 07:31:52

Hi, this lockdown has made me realise I want to meet a special man.

My hobbies-pre lockdown- few people my age are in.

The past year I have been on two dating websites, one I paid for and very few people used and the other is free which is dreadful. They always ask for photos!

In work (pre lockdown) I have a controlling micronmanger. If I make a joke he says "I make the jokes around here" so speaking to men in different departments and locations would be impossible! The Christmas party you have to sit with your teams.

How can I meet single men in real life?

nannybaxter Sun 12-Apr-20 13:10:58

Being in lock down is a pain but at least your havent got anyone else to consider..read somewhere lawyers are going to be very busy with the amount of divorces that will be petitioned after lockdown. Me I am on a couple sites and its great just chatting and not having to get all dolled up..those that request photos other than those displayed on your profile.Just block them .

Elegran Sun 12-Apr-20 13:16:05

I think there is a ?Yorkshire? saying to men who are seeking their fortune - "Doant thee marry money, but go where money is". Maybe the answer to the OP is "Doant thee go looking for a man, but go where men are"

EllanVannin Sun 12-Apr-20 13:16:50

Howled laughing at that, GardenerGran. grin

vampirequeen Sun 12-Apr-20 13:20:36

I met DH on a dating site. Maybe you could try again whilst in lockdown. I liked the anonymity of the site when I first started. I didn't know how to talk to men so being online gave me a sense of control. I soon got better at it grin

Chewbacca Sun 12-Apr-20 13:24:54

I've got one going spare if you want him OP? In worn, but reasonable, condition; one previous owner; full MOT provided.

Juliet27 Sun 12-Apr-20 13:25:42

I'm glad I'm not the only one GardenerGran finding the slightest thing aggravating. Made me feel much better.

ReadyMeals Sun 12-Apr-20 13:27:28

No don't do it! No meeting anyone outside your household. Stay at Home. Protect the NHS. Save Lives.

Eleph Sun 12-Apr-20 13:28:52

Appreciate being single It has to be way better than being on lockdown with someone who is controlling and coercive!

cupcake1 Sun 12-Apr-20 13:35:33

Really??! Can’t believe the way the world is at the moment those thoughts entered your head. I know loneliness is a dreadful thing but for me personally I would never entertain the idea of these dating sites. Heard too many horror stories. Expand your horizons when this dreadful virus subsides as others have suggested.

Molly7788 Sun 12-Apr-20 13:37:47

I am a bored widower not bad looking on the hunt for a single lady. Haven't tried any dating sites, fit and healthy, maybe a little to old at 75 .

annodomini Sun 12-Apr-20 13:40:25

I want to meet a man - an electrician. grin

vampirequeen Sun 12-Apr-20 13:45:14

The OP didn't say she was going to do it now.

Molly ...you're never too old.

Chewbacca Sun 12-Apr-20 13:46:29

Annodomini sent you a pm

gillyjp Sun 12-Apr-20 13:58:04

I met my husband through work 26 years ago. That sort of thing is at best frowned on nowadays and at worse can get men taken to court over salacious behaviour, especially if the relationship doesnt last and you still have to work together. I was lucky - we both felt the same chemistry and he was my boss. We had to handle it very carefully and it didnt come out in the open for a while. Best thing ever happened to both of us. We are soulmates. Not so easy now having a relationship at work.

marjoriedior Sun 12-Apr-20 13:59:21

I’m with you Beanie654321, bongo is and razzmataz... I took the plunge and left an ‘indifferent’ at best husband of 32 years last summer and feel so relieved that I do not now have to put up with the constant arguments that would have only been made worse as he is unconcerned with the present restrictions of lockdown... I have learned that I am actually very happy in my own company, tho I miss actual contact my children and grandchildren!

red1 Sun 12-Apr-20 14:02:04

Its it a case of 'if i had then. then i'd be ..........'? The stats are not very good for long term success of 2nd or more relationships, something like up to 80% failure rate,yes 20% work out.I know many who have tried to find love by all the usual routes and found it a hard slog.I have been single 14 years after divorce and thought 28 years of marriage was enough in one lifetime! In 2017 I looked into the eyes of someone and my breath was taken away! We are friends but whether I want to make it a relationship Im not so sure?I wasn't looking for it ,it just happened.We met at the sports club ,not exactly a dating club! Its hard to not think that maybe if someone is for then they wont go by you.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 12-Apr-20 14:09:20

razzmatazz
I don't believe you are selfish in not wanting a man . I feel the same.Perish the thought of having to go through the 'training' process grin all over again.

Newatthis Sun 12-Apr-20 14:26:38

The thing is, the more you want a relationship the more you can scare men away. It must be very difficult, especially at a time like this not to have someone special in your life but now is not the time to jump in and we are in an impossible situation for this to happen anyway. When this is all over than the man of your dreams will come along when your least expect it.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sun 12-Apr-20 14:40:29

Beanie my thoughts exactly? I am in thd throws of divorce and at least work got me out of the house. Being furloughed means I'm stuck with him indoors and I see even more clearly why I need to get away. I have so far managed to keep myself busy doing stuff but thd house sale is delayed so for now I'm stuck and can't even view possible properties to spend my final years in without the miserable selfish twat?

Emilymaria Sun 12-Apr-20 14:41:57

Ineedamum - oh dear, try The Guardian - and when lockdown is over - try finding another job!

Caro57 Sun 12-Apr-20 14:47:28

There are a lot more than just 2 sites.........the right site (for you) needs to be sought before you look for a partner

Missiseff Sun 12-Apr-20 15:00:40

Don't get a man, get a life!

bridie54 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:02:39

I don’t have any great words of wisdom. Am currently with my second husband who I met on a dating site but I often think that in different circumstances we wouldn’t still be together.
I met the love of my life at a singles club when I was in my forties and we had a few happy years together. I recently heard he died last year. So sad.
But I wanted to add a funny story about a dating site encounter. I met the guy after on line chat for a while and my immediate reaction was he hadn’t made much of an effort and looked a bit untidy. I hadn’t expected a suit and tie but a bit of effort wouldn’t have gone amiss. Anyway, during the evening (we were having coffees in a book store). he wanted to show me his divorce papers which he produced from his man bag. I assured him I didn’t need to see them. But he went on to make a big deal about an argument with his ex over teaspoons . We walked back to where my car was parked and I let him know that I didn’t think we should meet again as there just wasn’t an attraction for me. Ok so far, but then for days afterwards I got messages from him, often with jokes. I asked him nicely a few times to stop messaging me but he didn’t so I had to threaten him with legal action. He stopped thank goodness. I often wondered what really happened about the teaspoons!

pce612 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:05:13

I was with Elite Singles - rubbish.
'Met' someone last week on Match, he looks gorgeous, is 8 years younger than me and totally genuine. Lives 450 miles away and we can't physically meet at the moment but we will when the restrictions are lifted.
Give it a go, you never know...

GlammakAz59 Sun 12-Apr-20 15:25:00

I met my special man on a free dating site after sorting out the undesirables..and there are a lot of them. I also joined meetup group a few years ago but it wasn't for me and not much chance of meeting man friends as there were many more women. I thought I'd never meet anyone else but i have we get on well and I'm so grateful. Never lose hope ..good luck