Gransnet forums

Chat

In my garden this morning

(91 Posts)
Artdecogran Sun 12-Apr-20 10:33:21

A rose has bloomed! Anyone else got something unusual in their garden?

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 15:20:29

I have just 2 tulips, vegansrock!!

This garden needs some replanning.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Apr-20 15:28:29

Mr Bee was so happy amongst my bluebells

Artdecogran Sun 12-Apr-20 15:32:41

Callistemom, I believe it’s a euonymus fortunei, emerald and gold. I only moved into this property in November so I don’t really know all the plants.

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 15:44:56

Ah, yes, I think the yellow one must be that, I meant the green one with glossy oval leaves, on the left of the picture.

However, it may not be bay, it could be laurel.

If it's bay it can be used as a herb, if it's laurel DON'T eat it!

Artdecogran Sun 12-Apr-20 16:40:50

Yes it’s a flipping laurel. I really don’t like them since my son ate some of the berries in a friends garden when he was 2. We looked it up in her encyclopaedia and it said the berries were edible! But that night he started screaming in the deepest tones I’d ever heard and he was rushed to hospital to get his stomach pumped. This bush does cover next doors garage and over winter it has housed 2 robins. It does have trailing yellow jasmine growing through it which was nice in December and January. What’s your garden like Callistemon?

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 20:06:34

Well, I sometimes think it's rather unmanageable, but this could give us an opportunity to get on top of it all.
It slopes so we tried to terrace it years ago but that proved too difficult. Actually, from a distance it looks rather nice and perhaps we will get on top of the weeds! I did chop the penstemons to about 6" this afternoon. We seem to have wild strawberries growing everywhere too.

I'm not very good at taking photos and posting them. Perhaps I should get to grips with that now.

We do have a bay tree which was about 18" when I bought it years ago, with the intention of cutting it into nice shapes but it is about 20ft tall (after pruning) now. But it is in a corner and the leaves are useful in casseroles.

The pigeons seem to like our garden anyway!

Callistemon Sun 12-Apr-20 20:08:23

My bluebells seem to have disappeared this year, Bluebelle but I have a lot of violets? in the lawn.

lemongrove Mon 13-Apr-20 22:15:58

A few bluebells hiding in our garden
Apple tree ( Red Windsor) in blossom just now
Cherry tree Kanzan also in bloom

lemongrove Mon 13-Apr-20 22:19:20

The first orange poppy out today
Marigolds in a neglected bit of the garden ( so early!)
Viburnum ( Spirit) in full bloom now

AllotmentLil Mon 13-Apr-20 22:28:11

Thankyou for all the photos of your gardens, they’re really lovely. We’ve got lots of tulips and pansies and lots of things starting to sprout. We’re a bit behind you here in the north east of Scotland and it was quite cold today.

CanadianGran Mon 13-Apr-20 23:36:15

Beautiful photos, thank you! We are also further behind here; forsythia is just starting, and daffodils.

This was the year I was planning on pulling out a rose that never has performed well, and replacing it with a espaliered apple or pear. I cannot find such a plant in town, and that is not the kind of thing one can order easily. The nearest nursery that sells them is more than 500 kilometers away. I may have to put up with the rose one more year. The bugs love it, and the blooms tend to mildew.

gillybob Mon 13-Apr-20 23:37:35

Jeez it was cold here on the NE coast today. The temperature never made it over 5/6 degrees and we had a wind chill on top.
Poor plants .

Coolgran65 Tue 14-Apr-20 03:25:23

My camelia is in full bloom and the plum tree is now losing its blossom. Yesterday it looked like we were having a beautiful snowfall.
The Japanese anemone is up about 12" . It grows in front of our lounge window the full length of the window and out for about 4'. When it is in bloom it's about 4' tall and I always keep the blinds drawn to the sides to gain full benefit.
The oriental poppies are growing well, such as show to look forward to though the blooms don't last long.
For many years I've had 6 hanging baskets , well filled with trailing fuschias, geraniums and cat mint. However not doing them this year, they take such a lot of watering often twice daily. Also lifting them down if it's too windy as the fuschia gets spoiled. Have been poorly for a few months and don't feel up to it. May possibly miss them and regret it.
I will still plant up a couple of tumbler tomato baskets and hang them from the branches of the Apple tree.

travelsafar Tue 14-Apr-20 08:08:48

For the first time ever i have seen a beautiful Jay in my garden. He has been in twice now and i have my camera ready on the windowsill in the hopes that if he returns i can get a photo. First time he was walking on the pathway, the second time he was sat on the top of my bird house. I just couldnt believe it when i saw him. Made my day. smile

Mapleleaf Tue 14-Apr-20 09:19:57

They are beautiful birds, aren't they travelsafar. I hope you manage to get your photo.
Thank you to all who gave posted photos of your gardens. They look lovely.

Greyduster Tue 14-Apr-20 09:26:22

We have nothing much in flower in the main beds yet except leopards bane and erisymum Bowles Mauve, which always make an early splash, but the camellia has finally managed to get its backside in gear and the rockery wall is coming into its own day by day. The tiny narcissus is a great favourite of mine and always appears when all the other daffs have finished. Lilies in pots are well on their way and the agapanthus and hostess are showing through too. I feel it will be a much depleted plot this year as I missed the chance before we were isolated to buy more plants and now the garden centres are closed. Does anyone know of a reliable online plant supplier? Please don’t say T&M, with whom we have had disappointments in the past.

Greyduster Tue 14-Apr-20 09:27:13

Hostas!!?

Grandmamaoftwo Tue 14-Apr-20 09:34:09

Greyduster
I use Crocus, always good quality, all guaranteed and any problems after planting they will replace the plant

Lisagran Tue 14-Apr-20 09:39:10

Looking forward to getting out there in a minute, though bit chilly today!

Marydoll Tue 14-Apr-20 09:41:26

Greyduster, the camellia is beautiful. We saw a similar one today on our early morning walk and weren't sure what it was.
So that has answered our question.

Marydoll Tue 14-Apr-20 09:44:47

What a lovely uplifting thread, so many beautiful gardens.
We have little colour just now and no chance of adding any.

annodomini Tue 14-Apr-20 10:04:48

My two camellias have bloomed - the pink one is almost over now and the white one never really gets started before the blooms drop off! The garden suffered from a flash flood last year and I lost all the new perennials I had planted but the hellebores go on reproducing themselves year on year - white with freckles and rich pink.

Craftycat Tue 14-Apr-20 10:18:30

It's almost as if nature has decided we all need a cheer up. My Magnolia is a picture, the camelias are all out,the wallflowers are giving out a beautiful scent & the bulbs are still in full flower.
Even the fish have decided to show themselves in the pond.
The weather has been so amazing I have spent most of the days out there reading.
For the record I trim down my Penstemons but don't know if that is the correct thing to do- they always put on a good show the next year anyway.

Scottiebear Tue 14-Apr-20 10:18:42

Not really unusual. But large fox in garden close to the house last night. We also have lots of meandering hedgehogs. I have a feeder and a couple of houses. And last night 'sonic' was on the go. He/she is a small hedgehog who runs round really fast. I didnt realise hogs could run so fast. Very cute.

Lisagran Tue 14-Apr-20 10:20:50

Some gorgeous very dark tulips out