Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(109 Posts)
12Michael Thu 14-May-20 06:09:50

Good Morning Everyone,
Its yet another bright blue sky this morning over Brackley .
Its feels strange because its so quite.
Today, await delivery of the hair trimmer, which is n the hands of Royal Mail so can expect soon.
Despite being an early riser , a routine I have had a job to shake off , thanks to being used to getting up early , when I was n full time work.
Mick

Gelisajams Thu 14-May-20 07:43:16

Good morning and Happy Birthday Marydoll from a bright Morecambe Bay. I assume it’s cold as the heating has come on.
Off for an extra long walk today as it’s our exercise free day.
Maybe a bit of gardening and sewing later. That Sewing Bee has a lot to answer! Take care and stay safe everyone.?

Scentia Thu 14-May-20 07:47:30

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire. What a lovely sunny day we have here today.
A big Happy Birthday to Miss Marydoll? hope the sun shines for you.
A day in the factory today as DH is having a day off. He has to do his online speed awareness course today too.
First I will walk to the garage to pick my car up and then return home £380 lighter and drop it off then walk to work with the pooch.
Take care everyone and stay safe ❤️

NotAGran55 Thu 14-May-20 07:49:42

Gillybob Just a thought if yer own bank is struggling.

Could you apply to a different bank ? From what I understand some banks don’t require you to be a current customer .

NotAGran55 Thu 14-May-20 07:50:24

*your

Susan56 Thu 14-May-20 07:52:13

Good morning from the Shropshire borders.Brilliant sunshine today.?

Happy birthday Marydoll????

Have a good day everyone.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 14-May-20 07:55:54

Good morning Mike from a frosty Oxfordshire, so pleased that I resisted the urge to plant out my seedlings this week , the sun is shining but it’s zero degrees so I’m happy that the heating is on. Where did Summer go?
Still coming to terms with the death of MIL we hadn’t been able to see her since early March and it’s difficult to remember that she is no longer with us. Funeral on Friday, and a zoom meeting Afterwards for all of us that can’t go in person.
Have as best a day as you all can and stay safe.

gillybob Thu 14-May-20 08:01:50

If Barclays is struggling I don’t think there’s much hope for the rest NotAGran . Still it seems those of us who have been left behind are being offered £100 compensation. I would tell them where they could shove it if I weren’t so bloomin’ desperate .

To apply with a different bank you have to open a new business account with them .

creativeness Thu 14-May-20 08:09:50

A happy birthday to Marydoll! Also is my birthday too I'm occasional poster . Have good day all.

EllanVannin Thu 14-May-20 08:12:02

Good Morning All x
Lovely sunny bright morning with plenty of blue sky----at the moment, so washing's on and here's hoping.

A Very Happy Birthday Marydoll x flowers wine sunshine Enjoy your day.

Couldn't resist some ox-tail that I saw in the butchers yesterday so that's on the menu today and a piece of home-made orange cake--like lemon drizzle only orange as I like to vary it a bit.smile I enjoyed my peppered steak yesterday grin

I have to get at a cobweb I noticed in a corner of the bathroom this morning so will use the mop rather than start climbing ladders as it's quite high up. Isn't life exciting at the moment when you notice cobwebs ?

Thinking of Gillybob and all the nonsense that she's having to endure. x It certainly isn't like the Barclay's of " yester-year " when they used to fall over themselves to help you. I've been with them since 1960 and things have changed over the years, no friendly bank manager any more.

Hoping everyone is keeping well. Stay safe to all xx

ninathenana Thu 14-May-20 08:13:12

Good morning everyone.

Well for the first time since lockdown I am wearing a bra, makeup and my watch. What is the special occasion you ask. I have to drive DD to the hospital as she can't drive herself home afterwards it's a whole 20 miles away. What an adventure smile

Nannytopsy Thu 14-May-20 08:14:25

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
It’s sunny in inland Suffolk!
Happy birthday Marydoll! DS is 35 today and DH is 65 tomorrow. We were going to have a 100th birthday party but it’s not to be. We did 70, 80 and 90.
Gardening and ironing vying for my attention today.
Our heating came on in the middle of the night grrr! Despite a series of complex timers and programmers, it responds to the room thermostats even if it should be off. We forgot to turn the sitting room down last night.

nainy Thu 14-May-20 08:15:57

New to gransnet and so glad I've found you all. Having a bad couple of days. Normally would be at my daughter's in a flash to help out in times of stress. She is struggling and it's breaking my heart l can't be there. Still, it's another bright day in north Wales and the garden beckons (again!!).

ninathenana Thu 14-May-20 08:16:01

?? HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the lovely Marydoll??

Nannytopsy Thu 14-May-20 08:16:10

Happy Birthday creativeness!

Pittcity Thu 14-May-20 08:21:04

Happy Birthday Creativeness cupcake

GabriellaG54 Thu 14-May-20 08:21:47

Good morning Gransnetters ??
A cloudless blue sky and sunshine here in Godalming this morning and my run culminated in a lovely mug of hot choc and biscuit from the 'old man on the boat'.
It's getting to be a habit but I plan to buy him a gift, maybe a tin of special biscuits or a basket of fruit as I've seen a fruit bowl in the cabin. I'll think of something nice but impersonal. We both enjoy the 20 minutes or so chatting and 'Dollar' his dog gets a pat and a biscuit too.

I was sad to hear about the sudden death of Nigel, Monty Don's companion of many years. I bet he feels bereft and I know I'll miss seeing him padding along behind Monty.
He's been buried in Monty's garden with a few of his beloved tennis balls. RIP Nigel.
Nellie will be lost too.

Mz&S pancakes lemon blueberries and yogurt shortly then drive to station and leave car for OH to collect.
I'll stop at Waitrose on the way back and see what they have to take my fancy.
I do love Tesco baked potatoes with cheese so have to add them to the delivery on 23rd.
A trip to the coast is definitely on the cards for the weekend either by car or train so that is something to think about and plan.
I had to make a diversion yesterday as there was a crash on the lower part of the M25. No fatalities I hope.
Many thanks to Urmstongran and GrannyGravy13 for their good wishes yesterday. We had a marvellous albeit a very happy but emotional time and I'd forgotten how young my oldest daughter always looks.

As always, warm good wishes to everyone here especially you who are going through tough times. ???and a very Happy Birthday to Marydoll who will no doubt be excitedly opening her presents at breakfast. Enjoy ?????????

See you all tomorrow....take care and enjoy the ☀️☀️☀️?

Sar53 Thu 14-May-20 08:22:26

Good morning everyone from a bright and breezy Essex by the sea..
A very Happy birthday to Marydoll, enjoy your day ?.
We had a good three way Zoom quiz with my 2 daughters and husbands last night. We do this once a fortnight and then put the world to rights.
I ordered 2 new jigsaws online so I'm really looking forward to seeing them. I'm still waiting for some prints to arrive of all 10 grandchildren. They are in their family groups so I will need to look out some frames.
I have a pile of ironing awaiting me and DH will be going for his weekly trip to the supermarket.
Have the best day you can and stay safe everyone xx

NannyJan53 Thu 14-May-20 08:24:10

Good Morning from a lovely sunny Black Country with bright blue skies!

Happy Birthday Marydoll wishing you the best day possible cupcake wine

Welcome to GN nainy and our lovely good morning thread. There are lots of help and support here if you need it.

Had a lovely 3 way video chat with 2 friends yesterday. We were chatting for over 2 hours! Then I added my Mum for the last 10 minutes as one friend knows her quite well.

Will be baking a Brack loaf today, then who knows!

Special thoughts to gilly and hoping the bank helps her soon. I know I would never open account with them after the shabby way they have treated you!

Mythbirtthedragon Thu 14-May-20 08:25:57

Good morning from east London, sunny, blue and cold. Foodbank this morning so I have to get shifting, choir this evening. House in Southend still there, neighbour had made a really good job of tidying up the front garden (she’d asked if she could cut the grass while the shutdown for which I was very grateful). Happy birthday to the birthday girls, hope everyone has a good day.

Urmstongran Thu 14-May-20 08:27:28

Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s chilly after it rained constantly since 4am. I slept badly last night and finally caught up on some and now there’s over 40 posts to read! I shall make myself a second cuppa and go through them all at my leisure.

Himself is over at the SuperSol. Had to put jeans on today he said!

It’s ‘The Real Marigold Hotel’ tonight which I’ve been looking forward to. I’ve also started the new Anne Tyler book on my kindle so that’ll keep me out of mischief.

Hope Thursday is good to us all. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

GabriellaG54 Thu 14-May-20 08:28:39

Keep it up EllanVannin
I like to read your menus for the day. ???

Marydoll Thu 14-May-20 08:28:50

Good morning all you lovely Gransnetters from a very cloudy Glasgow.
I'm overwhelmed by all your good wishes, you don't know how much!
I am 65 today and this time last year I thought I would never make it, that's the best present of all!
You may think I'm mad, but I didn't go to bed until midnight, just to make sure I knew I had made it! ?

My lovely DH is quite upset that I'm shielding on this day and he can't take me out, but I'm actually quite happy with the peace and quiet and gentle pace.
My two friends across the road are going to come out and sit in the garden and I shall sit in mine and we will chat across the road. What more could I ask for, good friends are a treasure.
Oooh, I'm getting all emotional! I have a reputation for being strict to keep up, or Charleygirl will tell me off. wink

DH has surpassed himself by giving me a ruby ring, as he knew I had always wanted one. ? How he managed that when we haven't been out since the middle of March, I haven't a clue. I did wonder why he was reluctant to hand over the credit card bill! grin.
I was in tears (seem to be doing a lot of that recently), when I opened a box which came in the post. It was a mug with a pictures of a pair of pink wellies with roses (my favourite flowers) growing out of them and a smaller child's pair beside them, also with flowers.
The caption said, Gran and H, together since 2015.
This a reference to the fact that my wee granddadughter and I spend a lot of time at the beach in all weathers, splashing in the water. That what I miss most. ?

Yesterday was a particulary stressful one with my SIL and Virgin. I ' won't go into the gory details, but I spent the whole afternoon in tears, after my SIL managed to undo all our good work in minutes.

Suffice to say, after a very frank discussion (by text) with her (cowardly) son, (too scared to phone me) , who tried to pass the buck back to us, we will try where possible to not become involved.
Very difficult when she turns up at the door (last night) trying to speak to us.

I plan to have an indulgent day, firstly attempting to cut my fringe. When did a fringe start to be called a bang? I have watched You Tube videos, but I still haven't a clue!
My eyebrows need tinted and my nails done. I shall be a new woman at the end of it all, on the other hand I may need to go into hiding if it goes pear shaped.

Dear Gilly, I'm so sorry to hear about your continuing struggle with Barclays. They must be up there somewhere with Virgin for the least compassionate companies.

Enjoy your day all. I hope some of you mange to get out today to meet a family member. Am I correct in thinking that is posssible in England now? Take care.

I'm off to think up a fiendish maths puzzle for today.
My lovely maths class keep me sane!

gillybob Thu 14-May-20 08:30:04

Blue skies have arrived here on the Costa Del Tyneside . sunshine

brook2704 Thu 14-May-20 08:32:51

Happy Birthday creativeness have a lovely day ???

Welcome to nainy and all other newbies ?

GabriellaG54 Thu 14-May-20 08:34:22

I think it must only be the Bounce-back lines which are being so clogged as I've managed to get through to RBS, Halifax, Nationwide, HBOS and the damned Barclays customer services earlier this week
with minimal waiting times.