Gransnet forums

Chat

FlyingHandbag’s treat yourself society!

(149 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Fri 15-May-20 14:33:37

Hi all,
I have decided to start a treat yourself society here on GransNet as I feel as we are trying to be kinder to one another, we also need to be kinder to ourselves, especially in times like these. Who’s with me?

I’ll start, I treated myself to three tops and a beautiful pair of pyjamas last night (my mother gave me some money to treat myself).

I also thought it might be a good idea to encourage our loved ones to do the same.

So, let’s have a lovely thread, a lovely time treating ourselves and a lovely treat.
Take care,
FlyingHandbag x

FlyingHandbag Fri 15-May-20 14:45:01

I do hope I don’t come across as ridiculous or materialistic... my intentions are to encourage everyone to go for it and treat yourself to whatever you want as this lockdown is hard on us all. I don’t mean to trivialise the situation, just to make it a bit brighter. flowers

vampirequeen Fri 15-May-20 14:48:51

I'm seriously considering treating myself to an a 9 speed aluminium mountain bike.

ExD Fri 15-May-20 14:52:48

I think I've been doing that already without realising. I bought myself a lovely gilet/waistcoat - reversible and very practical for this weather..
It made me feel sooo much better!
Those of us who found ourselves baking are also giving themselves treats, with gifts of goodies. I even made some fudge. Yum!
Maybe I'd better send the gilet back for a larger size?

petitpois Fri 15-May-20 14:59:27

Oh do post a link to your purchases Flyinghandbag. I'm always nosey curious to see what others have been buying grin. Especially the PJs?
I've 'treated' myself to some hair dye blush and also this lovely shirt dress which was in the Joules sale. Hasn't arrived yet but I hope it fits! After all the lockdown biscuits there's a good chance it won't. grin

FlyingHandbag Fri 15-May-20 15:07:17

vampirequeen, do it! If you can afford it, why not? Also, you can use it when you go out for exercise, it will keep you fit and active, and it’ll last for years! I think it would be criminal not to!

@ExD, that’s great! I remember seeing a beautiful faux fur gilet last year, only £13 and I really wanted it but I was stupid enough not to get it. I still regret not getting it. I love fudge!

FlyingHandbag Fri 15-May-20 15:08:05

Apologies, I meant to write ExD.

Rosalyn69 Fri 15-May-20 15:18:13

What a nice thread. It’s a good time to spoil oneself. I treat myself regularly to candles and bath treats. A little bit of luxury.
The husband has ordered me a new treadmill too.

grandMattie Fri 15-May-20 15:25:19

A bunch of asparagus. I’m easy to please.

FlyingHandbag Fri 15-May-20 15:28:10

petitpois, I’m so sorry, I wasn’t ignoring you, I didn’t see your post until after I replied to the previous posters.

I hope I don’t seem like mutton dressed as lamb!

Pyjamas I’m very excited for these as I get very warm in bed and I love pandas.

Top No 1 I love this as it is my favourite colour and the slogan is something I really agree with.

Top No2 I would never in a million years go for this normally but I have been looking for something with this phrase on it for a while and thought it would be nice to try something different.

Top No3 I thought this was very nice and I think it will be lovely with my denim jacket over it.

FlyingHandbag Fri 15-May-20 15:36:02

Rosalyn69 I absolutely adore candles. Your husband sounds lovely!

grandMattie do you enjoy cooking? I prefer to bake but I don’t do it often.

grandMattie Fri 15-May-20 15:39:04

I love feeding people. I tend to be indifferent to food on the whole. I used to bake a lot, but haven’t recently, CV19 notwithstanding. But I do love asparagus!

FlyingHandbag Fri 15-May-20 15:41:36

I’m not a big eater, I eat the bare minimum but I love to see my family and friends enjoying nice food.

Nortsat Fri 15-May-20 15:59:03

I have bought myself a Mulberry crossbody bag and a purple Mulberry purse.

I have decided to stop carrying a huge tote bag that weighs a ton and downsize to a smaller cross body bag. The only issue is that I haven’t been anywhere for almost 7 weeks, so the bag is hanging on the bannister in the hall ! ?

Ngaio1 Fri 15-May-20 16:09:28

I, too, have been naughty! Two weeks ago I bought two pieces of Brora cashmere and, today, two Longchamp bags from Brandalley!.

FlyingHandbag Fri 15-May-20 16:11:19

Nortsat I love Mulberry although I don’t have any. I prefer a bag with handles as I carry it in crook of my arm and it’s easier to pick up if in a rush. I also take my handbag everywhere even around the house as it is easier for me to put everything in my bag when moving rooms so as not to carry lots of stuff. I need a new purse actually, I might get one. I hope you get a lot of use from your purchases!

felice Fri 15-May-20 16:13:46

I am craving a full Irish breakfast, no black pudding or mushrooms,,,, from the Irish Pub across the road. With a small Cider to go with it.
New socks, the sock eater has been visiting, for DGS too.

ladymuck Fri 15-May-20 16:19:59

I've just treated myself to a large order from Holland and Barrett, including expensive honey and a variety of tea and coffee. It might not seem quite the same as buying a silk dress, but it's an indulgence.

FlyingHandbag Fri 15-May-20 16:22:00

Ngaiol that’s brilliant! I remember I wanted a Longchamp Le Pliage to use as a shopping bag but couldn’t decide if it was suitable so I bought a replica on Amazon to see how I got on with it which I now use as an overnight bag. I decided against the Longchamp as I didn’t want it to fester in a wardrobe. What colours did you get?

FlyingHandbag Fri 15-May-20 16:26:21

Felice why not see if you can make your own? I read about that in a magazine. It’s called a “fakeaway”. Or there might be somewhere near you that delivers.

ladymuck that’s nice, I don’t care for honey as I think it tastes like cough syrup and I don’t like sticky food. I love tea and Café Latte though.

varian Fri 15-May-20 16:27:09

Not long retired and trying to draw and paint, so have treated myself to some art materials.

Dinahmo Fri 15-May-20 16:30:43

Two 10m lengths of fabric in Ian Mankin's sale. Reduced from nearly £40 pm to 11.75 pm. So I'm very pleased. I buy too many clothes and don't wear them - keeping them for best!

FlyingHandbag Fri 15-May-20 16:45:11

varian that’s great. Congratulations on your retirement!

Dinahmo what a great deal! I don’t sew but I enjoy crochet. I once read an article about a woman who’s mother died and she had to clear out her home and she found lots of expensive clothes with the tags still on that had been kept for best. She never wore them. I used to keep things for best but stopped after I read that. I hope you enjoy every stitch!

Ngaio1 Fri 15-May-20 17:31:16

Flying Handbag. Thank you. One is a fairly plain black bag which has a detachable long handle. The other is much more adventurous! It is leather, made to resemble python, and is in shades of pink and neutral. I thought it would look cheerful with the navy and black clothes I have.

Have you ever bought from Brand Alley? I would recommend it. Whilst I was shopping today, I could not believe the speed with which they were disappearing. The site has boxes with pictures of items and, whilst I was watching, the screens were going grey and saying that all stock had gone.

Ngaio1 Fri 15-May-20 17:32:54

Nortsat. In case you were not aware, Brandalley does deal with Mulberry and many high end sales. Just a thought.