Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you vacuum every day

(167 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 17-May-20 10:25:12

Having conversation with friend this morning she was asking me, how often do I vacuum, and was I doing it more since lockdown or less, I’d say it’s the same, I don’t go into every room every day no, but I do vacuum downstairs everyday and clean my floors, she was saying she vacuums once a week, she has no pets so no flurries of pet hair,

pollyperkins Sun 17-May-20 11:46:08

No way! I hate vacuuming and only do it when it looks as if it needs it, or when visitors are coming, so hardly ever at the moment. No pets and DH is very tidy - he sometimes gets a few crumbs up with a hand held thingy. He’s fussier than me and sometimes vacuums the whole house if visitors are coming. I do sweep up crumbs on kitchen floor fairly frequently with a long handled dustpan & brush though. And clean the bathrooms when they need it.

Tweedle24 Sun 17-May-20 11:49:10

I don’t have to wait for my cats to go outside before I use the vacuum EllenVannin.. They shoot out of the catflap the minute they see me put my hand on the vacuum to take it out of the cupboard, I don’t think it causes them any irreparable mental damage because they are back in soon after the cleaner is put away.

dragonfly46 Sun 17-May-20 11:52:52

I am with kitty despite having a very hairy dog staying with us I only vacuum when absolutely necessary - I am not sure how to empty it!
I do have a little Dyson though which picks up the leaves he walks in!

farview Sun 17-May-20 11:58:06

I used to do before lockdown...crumbs,tiny bits of paper where grandchildren had been cutting out shapes,dirt,leaves,grass etc trailed into the house by grandchildren...so just vacuum once a week now...floors eerily clean....

Purplepixie Sun 17-May-20 11:58:51

No, no, no!!!! I think I put the hoover away and a cobweb grew over it so I just left it there! grin smile

merlotgran Sun 17-May-20 12:00:17

I get the hoover out when Peggy's hair starts skittering across the floor like tumbleweed! grin

Rosalyn69 Sun 17-May-20 12:00:18

I hoover the kitchen diner every day - dog hair.
The bedrooms - hmm probably when I have nothing better to do.

DanniRae Sun 17-May-20 12:08:50

I only vacuum when it needs it. I have far better things to do - like being on Gransnet!! wink

henetha Sun 17-May-20 12:15:56

Good grief, no! I hate hate hate it..... it does dreadful things to my back. I only hoover when forced to do so at the point of a gun.

BlueBelle Sun 17-May-20 12:36:28

Thank goodness some other people got other things to do (even in lockdown) not just me I love the cobwebs on my hoover and my iron they really so pretty

Blinko Sun 17-May-20 12:39:58

We don't have pets, so I do it when I feel like it. My cleaner's back this coming week anyway. Problem solved.

GagaJo Sun 17-May-20 12:44:02

I'm working full time from home, actually BlueBelle, but like downstairs at least clean and tidy at the end of the day. I like to relax after teaching/planning/marking AND spending time with DGS. Dinner, bath, bed, tidy, hoover and ahhhhhhhh

sodapop Sun 17-May-20 12:48:06

I vacuum every day due to three dogs and a cat. Often need to have a quick second whip round If we are having visitors. Fortunately we have hard floors throughout.
It doesn't matter how many times I brush my JR he still has lots of loose hair.

Daisymae Sun 17-May-20 12:50:52

Once a week. Not so much at the moment

Callistemon Sun 17-May-20 12:56:52

No, I would not wish to wear out my hoover

grin

I do have one of those handheld rechargeable vacuums and can pick up the occasional dead fly, cake crumbs etc with that daily.

Otherwise - well, no-one is visiting are they.

pollyperkins Sun 17-May-20 13:36:01

I wish there was a like button!

pollyperkins Sun 17-May-20 13:37:37

That was to Henetha & Bluebelle

lemongrove Sun 17-May-20 13:38:28

Once a week ( whether it needs it or not)?

Anniebach Sun 17-May-20 13:42:17

My granddaughter hoovered for me in March, have to wait for
her to come in July for next hoovering. !

Pantglas2 Sun 17-May-20 14:36:06

DH has been vacuuming since he retired a decade ago and he’s treated himself to a new cordless hand held headlighted one (he does like a gadget). He also expects a gold star ⭐️ whenever he does it!

GrannySomerset Sun 17-May-20 14:45:05

Before lockdown started I bought an expensive handheld lightweight vacuum cleaner because I knew our wonderful cleaner wouldn’t be able to come, and the trusty Miele cylinder cleaner is so heavy. What a good thing I did - comparatively effortless to use - but only when needed - without damaging my fragile back. We may not look as good as when we have help but we haven’t become Miss Havisham!

Jabberwok Sun 17-May-20 14:45:10

Wearing out the Hoover?!! I don't want to wear out me!!?. So only when strictly necessay!!
Lemon, I think it was Elizabeth 1st(?) who bathed once a month, whether she needed to or not!!!??

Callistemon Sun 17-May-20 14:57:17

Pantglas why is it that men need a gold star chart on display?

BBbevan Sun 17-May-20 15:10:19

Only when I can write my name in the dust !!

Pantglas2 Sun 17-May-20 15:15:03

I’ve no idea Callistemon- is it because they were praised by their mothers for doing something remotely domestic back in the day and we’ve just picked up the reins?