Gransnet forums

Chat

The f****** Daily Mail

(96 Posts)
Artdecogran Fri 22-May-20 09:32:41

I read the daily mail because it has a logical easy to understand layout and you can manoeuvre through it quite easily on a laptop. Every morning I tell myself not to read it because it’s usually depressing but I end up reading it anyway as I don’t watch the news, and I need to keep up a bit with what’s happening.
Last week they ran a story about an asteroid that’s going to hit us. Then yesterday/today they are running a story about the earth’s magnetic field going wrong. Honestly are they trying to make people scared and depressed. I know I was, didn’t sleep last night for the intense feeling of dread.
I am just so angry that the DM can print such stories at the
moment. There should be a criminal offence of scaring the public and they should be made to print nothing but happy stories and nice pictures of puppies and kittens for a month. (Just joking).
Rant over, enjoy your day. I’m off to water the garden, oops something else we will be being told to ration soon. 🤪🤪🤪

DanniRae Fri 22-May-20 09:44:35

I agree Artdecogran and have changed to another newspaper!

EllanVannin Fri 22-May-20 09:49:08

We should do what the Aussies do in their Daily Mail----answer these headlines with the only way that Aussies know how grin. They're not as easily taken in. I'm surprised it's still in print there.

trisher Fri 22-May-20 09:49:58

Artdeogran It's difficult at present to target any of their usual victims- lefties, public servants, the unemployed so they have to find something else to scare people with. Watch out for stories about little green men and maybe something nasty in the woodshed.

25Avalon Fri 22-May-20 09:50:22

I find most of the papers depressing tbh, all focusing on negativity. That’s why news of Sir Capt Tom was such a change and cheered us all up. Like you I long for a few normal happy stories.

jaylucy Fri 22-May-20 09:55:10

I gave up buying daily newspapers after my dad died 9 years ago.
I work on a need to know basis and quite frankly, the crud that is printed in many newspapers these days, I don't need to know!

DanniRae Fri 22-May-20 10:07:46

Before I changed to another paper The Daily Mail featured on it's front page an article about the TV programme Normal People - apparently the female star's real life boyfriend has a silver chain around his neck the same as her TV boyfriend!!!!! That was the final straw for me!

Davida1968 Fri 22-May-20 10:09:40

Try The Guardian online. Excellent reporting and no Daily Mail-type c**p.

Riverwalk Fri 22-May-20 10:10:54

Every morning I tell myself not to read it because it’s usually depressing but I end up reading it anyway as I don’t watch the news, and I need to keep up a bit with what’s happening.

No matter your politics or outlook on life - no wonder you're full of dread if you solely rely on the DM for information!

Teetime Fri 22-May-20 10:12:26

Its not a good paper I thought everyone knew that.

BlueBelle Fri 22-May-20 10:16:01

Dreadful paper why do normally, sensible people read it, take it, buy it ....90% is made up with huge agendas
Save your money or give it to your kitten puppy charities

Cindersdad Fri 22-May-20 10:21:26

We get the Daily Mail on Saturday purely for the TV magazine, the editorial content quite often makes me quite cross. The Guardian and Indy (including the "I") are best fo objective reporting. I don't get a daily paper regularly so rely on the TV and Radio to keep informed. The way that so many accept Brexit mystifies me. They thought it was wrong once how come they have changed their minds, now it seems even more wrong?

BlueSky Fri 22-May-20 10:21:58

I used to foolishly believe everything I read in the papers. (Daily Mail but now don't trust any of them). I usually scared myself silly with doom and gloom reports on this food item or that medication. Now I take it all with a pinch of salt and read up evidence from reliable sources.

Kate54 Fri 22-May-20 10:24:02

Could I recommend the i? I, independent, cheap (65p), eR, an editor who listens to the readers and a great puzzle section!

Kate54 Fri 22-May-20 10:24:32

eR = cleat!

Kate54 Fri 22-May-20 10:24:43

Or even clear

BlueBelle Fri 22-May-20 10:27:50

I don’t take a paper but I totally agree Kate the ‘i’ paper is the only one I would read

Curlywhirly Fri 22-May-20 10:41:32

Cindersdad I also only buy the Mail on a Saturday, solely for the enclosed TV magazine. I read the magazine cover to cover, but the paper, (if you can call it that - it's more of a comic) gets thrown in the bin - where it belongs!

Calendargirl Fri 22-May-20 10:42:45

Don’t read stuff if it upsets you.

‘Where ignorance is bliss,.....’

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 10:45:40

Artdecogran when we had all that rain over the winter, I did say that the first water company or anyone, in fact, to mention the d word and water rationing should be sacked
(Or words to that effect!)..

I haven't looked at any newspaper for weeks, if not months, apart from following an occasional link to something that may look interesting.

Pantglas2 Fri 22-May-20 10:48:31

My BIL saves the inner puzzle pages of the Daily Mail for me so I get to do the cryptic crossword and sudoku and I actually buy the Saturday Mail for the TV guide which is good.

I tend to get my news online from BBC, Sky etc and rarely read a particular newspaper all the way through, more selected articles highlighted by friends and family.

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 10:57:10

We used to buy the DM on Saturday for the TV guide.
And Monty Don for me.
DH liked the puzzle pages too.

There, I've confessed and feel no shame.

I dont tend to read what I think may be rubbish and am rather cynical anyway.

However, haven't been out for months so DH hasn't bought one.

BlueSky Fri 22-May-20 10:57:34

I don't actually buy papers nowadays but I do like the Mail on Sunday for the supplements!

Callistemon Fri 22-May-20 10:59:36

Now, I am going to look up the asteroid story, also the one about the magnetic field.
Then ask DH, who is an amateur astronomer, what he thinks.

Purplepixie Fri 22-May-20 11:02:13

I stopped buying newspapers years ago. The Daily Mail is the Daily Fail! Any old dross and they print it. They make stuff up and I would never read it again. Yes, I did read it once but the dross was too much. Infact if it was softer paper then I would use it to wipe my bum!!!!