Gransnet forums

Chat

It's raining Hurrah! Anyone else pleased?

(86 Posts)
trisher Wed 03-Jun-20 10:10:29

I am so pleased this morning to wake up to wet weather. The sun has been great but I missed the rain. It's good for the garden and mine looks greener already but I also just love the rain. Is that weird?

Jane10 Wed 03-Jun-20 11:14:10

Loved it! Unfortunately that dratted sun has burst through the lovely clouds. Should be temporary though. I hope.
It's still warm and clammy though. Have had to stop to recover from cleaning ops. Can't face pushing the heavy Dyson around yet. ?

Daddima Wed 03-Jun-20 11:14:16

Squiffy, my ‘word of the day’ today is ‘ petrichor’, which is apparently the name given to the smell of rain.
Every day’s a school day.

Squiffy Wed 03-Jun-20 11:15:33

Received a text today from the water company saying that there's a water shortage! Here we go again . . . . .

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 11:17:39

I knew it!

I think I posted during all that wet weather that the first official to mention water shortages or drought should be sacked!

BlueSky Wed 03-Jun-20 11:17:48

No not pleased at all my depression is back. With limited movement allowed, no shops, where can we walk? We'll have to put on macs and galoshes! I know it's 'good for the garden' but I miss that glorious early summer we have enjoyed so far!

Gajahgran Wed 03-Jun-20 11:19:26

I am very jealous of those that have rain. None here yet in the SE. The gardens need it so badly now it's hard to imagine that there was flooding in February. I even took an umbrella when I went for a walk. Wishful thinking!

Elizabeth1 Wed 03-Jun-20 11:23:16

We had the beginnings of rain late afternoon through to overnight with a real drop in the temperature during the night in as much as my DH has to get up to put a warm teeshirt on I’m not moaning we had a lovely time sitting in our conservatory listening to the rain and seeing the garden flowers get a real drink our cold water tap was running brown the other day and the water board staff had conflicting advice 1. It’s the building works nearby causing this so run the tap for an hr it should then clear up or 2 it’s because folks are watering their gardens and the reserves are getting low who’s to believe ?

BBbevan Wed 03-Jun-20 11:28:46

It has rained al morning in SW Wales. Everything smells fresh. Nextdoor’s rose is absolutely delightful. The lettuces seem to have grown overnight

grannylyn65 Wed 03-Jun-20 11:38:24

We not allowed on beach now?

Squiffy Wed 03-Jun-20 11:46:48

Calli yes, I said the same! You really couldn't make it up, could you?!

lemongrove Wed 03-Jun-20 11:48:59

I would be very pleased indeed if we had some rain....where is it?
Looks like another day that we will have to water the garden.

grandMattie Wed 03-Jun-20 11:50:01

I love "petrichor". No chance of it, sadly, in E Kent - must be the Gobi of UK here...
I wish it would rain though, am insanely jealous!

merlotgran Wed 03-Jun-20 11:51:24

We live in the driest part of England so knowing our luck it will go round us. angry

Septimia Wed 03-Jun-20 11:57:22

I'm in the NE, too. I've enjoyed the nice weather but am delighted that it's raining. It's keeping away the hordes of townies who come out here, park all over the place and bring their germs to a community of largely older folk, many of whom are being extremely careful.

I don't blame people for wanting to get out into the countryside, I just wish they'd be sensible. It was bad enough in 'normal' times but has been absolutely crazy since the bank holiday weekend.

So, the rain is benefitting the garden and filling the water butts, while giving us a bit of peace!

grannysyb Wed 03-Jun-20 11:59:35

About three drops here, it quite often misses us and we need it SO badly. Looks like I'll have to go to the allotment this afternoon and water, hard work as no hoses, we have to hand pump.

MawB Wed 03-Jun-20 12:09:02

Nope!
Glad it’s stopped as I am having D’s in-laws to lunch - and would prefer not to be wearing pak-a-macs and galoshes!

The missing ingredient?
People!

Mealybug Wed 03-Jun-20 12:13:07

I'm not a sun person at all and you will usually find me in the house in the summer where it's cool and shady. I love the Autumn and winter when it's crisp and cold and rainy and coming from Manchester we get plenty of rain lol

sodapop Wed 03-Jun-20 12:13:23

Thunderstorms here for the last couple of days, its very muggy and uncomfortable.

rockgran Wed 03-Jun-20 12:24:29

Yes. Excellent timing as we had just finished putting in the bedding plants. It has rained steadily since the early hours and is still going.

choughdancer Wed 03-Jun-20 12:29:29

I'm totally with you @trisher! None in Penzance yet, but cooler. I'm so hoping we get a burst of rain or two. So far there's just a wind, which won't help tender plants!

3nanny6 Wed 03-Jun-20 12:31:13

A few drops of rain in S.E. where I am not enough though so I have still had to water the plants. Do want to get the grass in the front to get a good soaking as it is so dry I am waiting on cooler wet weather to come over next few days to freshen everything up.

Squiffy Wed 03-Jun-20 12:36:01

Daddima thank you for that info, I had no idea that there is a special name for it! I love GN grin

kittylester Wed 03-Jun-20 12:37:58

No, no, no!

Supposedly sitting in dd1's garden with 2 dgc. In macs and umbrellas!!

We are, though, having the front garden planted today. So that will save a lot of watering!!

watermeadow Wed 03-Jun-20 12:39:55

Very little here in central south but it’s cool and cloudy. I shall be able to do some weeding today, it’s been too hot to do anything outside except watering. I’ve even soaked my roses several times and been rewarded with a magnificent display this year. Seventeen lovely David Austen roses in a small garden make a big impact, I hope the neighbours are enjoying them too.

aonk Wed 03-Jun-20 12:46:11

I hate rainy weather even though it would help my hay fever. We’ve been so lucky to have dry days where we could meet up outside with others. I’ll be so sad if that can’t happen because of rain. It’s a shame we can’t make it just rain at night. Then we’d all be happy, gardeners and sun lovers!