Gransnet forums

Chat

Stop trying to change things you can't. Peace of Mind

(58 Posts)
Notright Wed 03-Jun-20 11:29:20

I have a brief look at the forums most mornings and to be honest I'm stopping. Why? Doesn't anyone have anything better to say than moan, moan, moan.
Has no-one got anything positive, happy or cheerful going on in their lives. There must be something funny next doors children did, rather than something naughty they did. Or what reading has cheered you up lately; or what book do you recommend to take the reader away from all this.
Please, feeling sorry for yourself only leads to misery. Spoil yourself - watch TV all day instead of worrying about cleaning the bathroom, accompanied by a couple of glasses of wine. Play cards with your husband or partner. If you've got older grandchildren get them to organise a weekly meet-up with the family on Zoom. I promise you that is fun. Look out of the window on our sunny days at the beautiful blue blue sky that will once again disappear once planes start flying and cars fill the road. Listen to the birds.
We can't change things so enjoy what you can do please. Keep Safe everyone.

Kate1949 Wed 03-Jun-20 13:56:49

Treasure it Pinkcakes smile

bluebirdwsm Wed 03-Jun-20 14:16:34

You are on a forum where there are a proportion of elderly, maybe lonely, disabled in any way, bereaved or estranged from family members, who have lost friends, have mobility issues and are in lockdown due to a pandemic.

Which also means a great deal more distance from and little real contact with family and friends and practical problems. With maybe no one to communicate honestly with, I think they have every right to get support, find feedback and to be able to vent frustrations online.

To dictate otherwise is to control and police how people think and what is posted on here. How patronising and superior it comes over, even if the intention is good. We are all capable and indeed I'm certain most people do constantly appreciate the beauty of nature, animals, wonderful friends, sons, daughters, grandchildren, sunshine, blue sky, art etc. etc. etc...each and every day. As have I throughout my life, whether with or without problems at the time. How can you assume people don't?

Most people know how to treat themselves albeit not in the ways you mention, we all know life is much, much richer and diverse than that. I don't think they need someone to tell them to turn the tv on, look out of their windows or zoom. So just open the positive threads and let others discuss their fears or worries [no matter what they are] and find reassurance and connect with others without judgment.

sodapop Wed 03-Jun-20 15:59:57

Well said bluebirdwsm

Ilovecheese Wed 03-Jun-20 16:19:29

yes, well said bluebirdwsm

Daisymae Wed 03-Jun-20 16:29:01

I hear Stepford was a rather nice place for people to live. Nothing to worry our little heads about there!

Lucca Thu 04-Jun-20 09:04:39

Did notright just lob that in and not return ?
Well here is a full on moan from me, people,who start a thread and never come back ...gnhq should have a word !

Rufus2 Thu 04-Jun-20 14:11:20

Good Morning thread is anything but negative
Well, dragonfly, you could have fooled me! wink
It's anything but healthy, although given the perfectly understandable age-related medical ailments amongst us, of which I have my share., it acts as a useful substitute for a visit to the Doc. and poses no risk of cross-contaminaion! grin

gnhq should have a word
Lucca Why? It's nothing to do with them and in any case, what word would you suggest?
Given the reception "Notright" has received I wouldn't blame her/him not hanging around! sad
OoRoo

Notright Thu 04-Jun-20 14:24:51

Really not telling anyone to count their blessings, Bluebell, and I can't see how that can be condescending just suggesting ways of taking our minds of the annoying things we can't change. I taught my grandchildren when they were growing up, when things get on top of you lie down, if you can, and look at the sky. I promise you when you do that strength is gained by the beauty of the world. Sorry people find it offensive to appreciate what I have around me. And Rufus 2 I don't watch morning TV. But thank you for the appreciative remarks.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 15:46:04

So, if you're having a bad time, do you just keep your own counsel?
Is there nobody you would have a moan to?

sodapop Thu 04-Jun-20 17:21:51

I do appreciate the world around me most of the time Notright I do not appreciate being talked down to as if I were five.

Anniebach Thu 04-Jun-20 17:26:38

Anyone suffering from depression please don’t lie down and
Look at the sky, seek medical help.

I hope the O/P doesn’t work for MIND or voltenteer for the
Samaritans.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 04-Jun-20 17:29:08

Spoiling myself and drinking wine won’t stop me worrying about 2 young family members who are having Chemo at the moment.
It takes an effort to be cheerful and sometimes the effort is overwhelming especially when we can’t be with the people who need us.
Some are also ill and it takes an effort for them to do normal things that others take for granted.
Actually I’m droning on now because the OP has made me cross, so I’ll go an make a couple of phone calls to the Chemo patients.
Maybe that will cheer me up?

sodapop Thu 04-Jun-20 17:59:56

Wish them well from me oopsadaisy hope the treatment is not too difficult, its hard isn't it when you can't be there to help.

Lucca Thu 04-Jun-20 18:46:18

Oopsadaisy. I’m so sorry to hear that. I really hope things turn out well for them and you.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 04-Jun-20 19:25:06

Nope I don't care about the weather, it is never to hot or cold for me. On the whole I am a happy relaxed person but I do get uptight when I read some GN with views that I am totally against, so now I avoid them.
Kate1949 so sorry about your hair, my daughter had the same problem for a while, but now for the last few years she is fine, so there is always hope. Wish I could give you some of my wild growing hair. flowers

Kate1949 Thu 04-Jun-20 19:34:18

How kind you are Barmey Alas there's not much hope for mine coming back. I've been like this for 10 years. It's very difficult but when the salon can open I can get back to some sort of normality. I'm pleased for your daughter. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 04-Jun-20 19:37:36

sodapop and Lucca thanks, but I’m fine, trying to not overthink it all. The parents understandably don’t want to discuss how things are every five minutes, so we are left trying not to phone too often.
Just keeping fingers crossed and trying to be patient until it’s safe to visit them, as they are shielded it will be a long wait.
Maybe the OP is right, stay away if all I can do is moan. But I do try to be cheerful on here at least.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Jun-20 19:46:13

I would leave if everyone here was aggressively cheerful.

I can't stand the rude people, (no excuse, as far as I'm concerned) but talking about life, with all it's ups and downs is what friends do.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 19:59:44

If I drank in the day I'd spend most of the day asleep and miss all the fun threads on Gransnet.
I dislike playing cards, DH enjoys a game of cards.
DH loathes quizzes, I like them.
If I lie down and look at the sky I have trouble getting up again and anyway the grass is damp.

I really dislike being told what I should be doing.
Grump, grump, grump.

Oopsadaisy best wishes to your family

dragonfly46 Thu 04-Jun-20 22:26:14

So sorry to hear about your family members OopsadaisyI know how hard chemo can be. I do hope you have good news soon.
I also know what it is like to have no hair Kate. I always had very short hair but being bald is a whole new ball game.

Namsnanny Thu 04-Jun-20 23:02:03

It happens periodically, a Granny moaning about moaning Grannies.

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 23:04:05

Yes, a post moaning about Grandparents' perceived moaning.

Rather odd.

Namsnanny Thu 04-Jun-20 23:06:51

Much better put Callistemon Thankyou smile

Kate1949 Fri 05-Jun-20 10:51:00

Yes it is dragonfly

paddyanne Fri 05-Jun-20 12:10:59

Well ,what a sad world it would be if everyone just walked away from things they believe in because it stressed them.
Its like the people who say you had your referendum in 2014 ...thats the end of it..NO its not ..did you all raise your families to try something once and then give up? I am very happy to say I didn't and nor did my parents..only by working towards the things we want to change can change happen.Walking away is a cowards way out