Gransnet forums

Chat

Who has an AC who’s lost a job due to virus?

(59 Posts)
Nanamar Tue 09-Jun-20 02:08:01

Our adult son just turned 40 and was out of work for a year two years ago due needing treatment for clinical depression. He is feeling so disheartened because he feels he had a wonderful education (he did) and many advantages (he did) but he became a teacher out of university, then decided he didn’t like it, couldn’t find anything he did like, until eight months ago, and has now lost that job because of Covid. Any of you out there whose ACs have similar situations? He’s beating himself up about his “choices”
and his not achieving his potential but there’s no way that anyone could have predicted this mess!

Sussexborn Wed 10-Jun-20 21:25:13

My DD had totally different weddings and both were perfect. OHs niece had an open air wedding based on a country fayre. It’s amazing what a bit of imagination can do.

Hopefully it won’t have to be a masqued affair.

MadeInYorkshire Wed 10-Jun-20 22:18:27

Sussexborn

My DD had totally different weddings and both were perfect. OHs niece had an open air wedding based on a country fayre. It’s amazing what a bit of imagination can do.

Hopefully it won’t have to be a masqued affair.

Ha, ha! I was winding her up earlier as to whether or not she was going to put facemasks compulsory on the invites! Bt awkward when it comes to toasting the B&G and trying to eat!

AllotmentLil Wed 10-Jun-20 22:30:02

My DS has been made redundant. He was the director in a branch of a large company so obviously they have saved more money by making the highest paid redundant. He has arranged mortgage and car loan holidays and job seekers allowance.

AllotmentLil Wed 10-Jun-20 22:34:08

Lost half of my post!
It has helped to know that he is not the only one in this position. I wish the best of luck to all those looking for a job. Thankyou all for sharing.

Ailsa43 Wed 10-Jun-20 22:37:36

All these stories are heartbreaking, I wish all the best for you all and your AC's... and MadeInYorkshire I wish you all the best for tomorrow and hope you can hold onto your home

watermeadow Thu 11-Jun-20 07:19:33

What’s an AC?

dragonfly46 Thu 11-Jun-20 08:57:37

Adult child

MadeInYorkshire Thu 11-Jun-20 10:35:20

Ailsa43

All these stories are heartbreaking, I wish all the best for you all and your AC's... and MadeInYorkshire I wish you all the best for tomorrow and hope you can hold onto your home

Thank you @Ailsa - apparently it could take some time for her to even get in touch with them at all!! The one thing I am doing is paying my mortgage, that isn't an issue, but it runs out in 7 years and there is £60k not covered which is why I have been trying to get them to do something like extend the term etc, amalgamate it or offer me some hope of being able to go out of my own home in my box! Even the Equity Release people, 2 of them who are trying to sell me a product have said don't do it!! lol So stuck between a rock and a hard place with nowhere to turn .....