Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you a friend you secretly hate,

(82 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 20-Jun-20 11:38:48

Reading through a magazine the other day I came across this headline, I thought it very strange, that it went on to say most of us have a girlfriend we secretly hate, I must be very odd then as I don’t, I could t quite grasp the meaning of hating a friend, I have a small circle of friends, whom are lifelong ones, yes we disagree along the way, but who doesn’t once in a while, be very boring if we didn’t have minds of our own, but no there’s no jealousy that I know of,

Alima Sun 21-Jun-20 22:26:09

Wasn’t it Beryl Reid allule? Think the character’s name was Marlene.

Sleepygran Sun 21-Jun-20 23:10:21

I had a friend who was amazing.She was good at everything she did.I felt stupid that nothing I did matched up to hers.I suppose it was jealousy sad to say.
I did drop her when our lives went in different directions,but saw her a few years ago and she was still lovely,so pleased to see me and gave me her address and said come over.I haven't.shes lovely and I'm not,can't cope with her brilliance at everything.

Daftbag1 Mon 22-Jun-20 08:42:42

Wow! Hate is a really strong emotion. I don't think I have ever, or could ever hate someone. I suspect that if I did it would only be me to feel badly about it!

NannyG123 Wed 24-Jun-20 09:07:20

I've got a friend who I've been friends with for almost 40 years, About 15 years ago she did something that really, really an annoyed and upset me. And I didn't hardly speak to her for about 9 months. But then slowly we started getting back on track.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 24-Jun-20 09:18:20

Ooh, that's bit annoying, isn't it, Sleepygran? Some people are just good at everything they do, but has it occurred to you that they don't do things that they're not good at? They may not share their failures with you but surely, being human, they still have them.

Among my circle there are four or five people who I really like very much and a few who I like but don't know so well. There is just one who, although perfectly pleasant and helpful, I just can't warm to through no fault of her own. But hate - no, that's too strong a word.

There will always be some people who we gravitate to more than others - just human nature.

allule Wed 24-Jun-20 18:35:09

Thanks Alima. Infuriating when these things are hiding away at the back of your mind.....