Gransnet forums

Chat

have you bought any new clothes during lockdown?

(98 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 20-Jun-20 14:29:20

I ask as most of us until recently had no where special to go and it seems pretty pointless spending money on new clothes we cant wear outside of the home and garden. I bought two tops online and after they had arrived i thought why? they are hanging in the wardrobe with tags still attached. I have made a pact with myself not to buy anything else this summer and have just unpacked the suitcase with tops for summer and will use those after washing to freshen up.

tanith Sat 20-Jun-20 14:36:07

No nothing I’m trying to convince myself to refrain from buying anything new apart from pants till next year.

Ooh I did have to buy a new pair of Skechers trainers as I wore mine out with all the walking I’ve done.

Casdon Sat 20-Jun-20 14:43:43

No new clothes, but I haven’t really spent less than usual, as I’ve treated myself to lots of nice things for the garden instead, as there’s more time to enjoy it.

SueDonim Sat 20-Jun-20 14:48:25

I Bought some leggings to wear with summer dresses and some comfy underwear. Nothing else.

Judy54 Sat 20-Jun-20 14:53:11

No new clothes. It is amazing what we have in our wardrobes already. Just starting to sort out Summer clothes and finding things that I had forgotten about since last year. We too treated ourselves to lots of plants and some new garden furniture and it a pleasure to enjoy them.

Dreamkeeper Sat 20-Jun-20 15:17:05

I must admit that I have boobed myself.

Throughout this period of lockdown,though shielded and kept so at least until August 15th I made a pact from the start to NOT slop around at all.But I have made a good effort daily,using all the clothes I already have.
It is a good morale booster.........for us both.
Of course my hair has totally let me down,a disaster as the weeks roll by, but I do my best and moan the remainder time!!!

I decided about a month ago to send for a few garments,and a pair of sandals.Sandals arrived with quite a hefty Customs charge because they came from Italy........(I have to repeat the charge as they are being returned!)
Again I found some very nice inexpensive cotton tops and bottoms for wearing either indoors or ideal outdoors in the warm weather.
Again another Customs Charge as they are from abroad.

So please be careful,I certainly have been caught out,but never again!
You live and learn...............I certainly have!

annodomini Sat 20-Jun-20 16:07:39

Late night net-surfing is fatal for my bank balance. However, I haven't splashed out on clothes, apart from a new pair of trackies, as I'm wearing almost nothing else during lockdown. However, the other night I was investigating the Hotter site and discovered that they had vastly reduced prices on the whole range. Temptation won. I am awaiting the arrival of a slightly glitzy pair of sneakers. Hotter is good for free returns, so I can always send them back. blush

Daddima Sat 20-Jun-20 16:19:02

I have bought some things, as I’ve thrown out a lot of the ‘ fat clothes’, and things I know I’ll never wear again. I’m hoping that the lack of ‘fat clothes’ might stop me from gorging! Nothing expensive, as who knows how well I’ll do at keeping the weight off.

V3ra Sat 20-Jun-20 16:19:37

Yes. I ordered some new swimwear in the M&S sale, usual size.... how I got it on and off again I do not know ?
It's gone back and I'm now on a sensible eating regime ??

grannylyn65 Sat 20-Jun-20 16:26:33

V3A
?

TrendyNannie6 Sat 20-Jun-20 16:34:02

No not bought any new clothes. Not going anywhere so don’t need to, bought other items though for garden etc

Urmstongran Sat 20-Jun-20 16:40:55

Nope. Not bought a thing. Been wearing what’s already in the wardrobe. Probably will continue doing this for the next few months I think. I’m not a clothes shopper at the best of times. Lipsticks and perfume will need replenishing at some stage though!
?

Witzend Sat 20-Jun-20 16:41:59

I did order a dress but had to send it back, too big. Tried twice to order the smaller size - out of stock both times.
Can’t be bothered to try again.
Nothing else. I have plenty of summer things.

rafichagran Sat 20-Jun-20 16:51:30

Yes yesterday, with my April birthday money. 2 lovely white tops, they fitted really well, and looked lovely, also where I shopped the owner took of a couple of pounds and told me to buy a lottery ticket. She also gave me a glass of bubbly.
Strange experience though, hand sanitizer everywhere, only 3 allowed in the store and social distancing. Totally agree with this.

MerylStreep Sat 20-Jun-20 17:01:06

I have bought a few things. About 4/6 of us meet up in my garden every week and we all dress up. That sounds as if I don't bother other than that, I do ?

PinkCakes Sat 20-Jun-20 23:01:31

I've bought lots of things! 4 dresses, 3 pairs of trousers, 8 tops, a couple of bras and a pair of shoes. I've been going to work all the time, apart from a week's holiday (not that I could go anywhere, of course)

PinkCakes Sat 20-Jun-20 23:01:50

2 cardigans too grin

Ramblingrose22 Sat 20-Jun-20 23:23:53

I have bought a pair of trousers in a summer sale but always order 2 pairs as never sure of the fit so one pair will go back

I also bought a new pair of trainers that were shipped from the US and as they are too small I have to pay to return them, including a customs fee I expect.

DH took the parcel to the Post Office and asked for a track and trace method and they suggested an extra £20 charge to guarantee delivery within 3 days. He wasn't sure so he bought the parcel home to check with me.

I couldn't find anything on the Royal Mail website about a "guarantee" of this kind and for the US it says 5-7 days. I am wondering if the £20 would end up in the counter clerk's pocket and am still wondering what is the best way to send the parcel.

BlueSky Sat 20-Jun-20 23:25:29

No I have so many never worn clothes still with labels attached! Same goes for bags and shoes. I seem to buy them and put them away in the wardrobe!

glammagran Sat 20-Jun-20 23:59:37

I’ve only bought items from a known retailer so I knew they would fit like T-shirt’s, shorts. I’ll buy jeans soon. Otherwise I don’t know how I’d return them as I haven’t been to an actual shop for months.

Gajahgran Sun 21-Jun-20 07:31:38

I did not buy any clothing last year as I wanted to have a year of "no buy" for ethical reasons. Still buying very little. I did buy a bamboo dress from Thought and a pair of trainers from La Redoute during lockdown. No inclination to go clothes shopping at the moment as still trying to be very careful.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 21-Jun-20 10:40:33

Three cardigans, winter coat, dressing gown, top from Sahara’s sale, bra... plus any number of books.

Teetime Sun 21-Jun-20 10:45:34

I have bought quite a few things and I will buy some more when I can get in a shop that I like but they keep closing down e.g. White Stuff or not opening yet - nearest JL and Debenhams. Boden is always reliable.

Molli Sun 21-Jun-20 10:46:10

I put all my work clothes away at the beginning of lockdown bar 1 T shirt that I wear one day a week for Zoom calls. I tend to wear leggings on the bottom rather than trousers - no one can see them!! I bought a new pair of Crocks as the dog chewed one to pieces. ( not impressed!) After a sort out of my clothes early in lockdown I knew I needed a few items and found them all heavily knocked down from one of my favourite stores. Total so far on clothes and shoes during lockdown £84.72. So pretty pleased with that. I have no desire to go clothes shopping though. That can wait.

4allweknow Sun 21-Jun-20 10:52:36

As part of the lockdown clear out I set aside some clut6ching that on close inspection no longer fitted properly or was showing signs of wear eg bobbling. Included tops and shorts (far too short!). Ordered 3 new tops and two pairs of shorts and have worn them during lockdown. All bought at reduced prices.