Gransnet forums

Chat

have you bought any new clothes during lockdown?

(99 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 20-Jun-20 14:29:20

I ask as most of us until recently had no where special to go and it seems pretty pointless spending money on new clothes we cant wear outside of the home and garden. I bought two tops online and after they had arrived i thought why? they are hanging in the wardrobe with tags still attached. I have made a pact with myself not to buy anything else this summer and have just unpacked the suitcase with tops for summer and will use those after washing to freshen up.

Hymnbook Sun 21-Jun-20 10:54:46

I've bought a few things dresses skirts t shirts apart from 2 items everything returned. I don't know why l bothered I've unpacked my summer clothes ironed them all. When and where am l going to wear them. I will have to get rid of a lot of things when l can. Since moving to a smaller floor l just haven't got room for everything.

Granjax33 Sun 21-Jun-20 10:55:08

Yes 2 longer shirt/blouses and a t-shirt all reduced to a point where I could not leave them in the shop! I was food shopping in m & s and spotted a discounted rail of clothing. Strange going through the rail whilst wearing gloves. I am keen for more bargains but apprehensive to go into various shops

henetha Sun 21-Jun-20 10:55:14

I bought some cotton trousers for summer from Cotton Traders and very nice they are too. And a beautiful Indian cotton skirt from Amazon. Just in case the heatwave comes back.

henetha Sun 21-Jun-20 10:56:33

P.S.
From Cotton Traders catalogue and sent for by post. I have not been in any clothes shops since March.

Fernbergien Sun 21-Jun-20 10:57:31

I was unwell a lot of last year and lost weight. Weight stays consistent now so have bought some new clothes as have dropped a size. Really needed trousers. Most stuff comes from Bon Marche and Cotton Traders. Good quality for the price. At least most older tops still fit. Casual clothes of course.

Lclaytonuk555 Sun 21-Jun-20 10:58:32

Oops, just accidentally bought a dress in the Boden sale....it fell in the basket.

olliebeak Sun 21-Jun-20 11:05:54

I've bought the following:
- new slippers because I needed something more comfortable
- new boots for next winter- on offer in my catalogue as now 'out of season'
- new nightie - wanted something longer than current ones

- new skirt in ASDA - very reduced on Sale Rail
- new top in ASDA - to go with skirt - also from Sale Rail
last two items have gone into spare wardrobe towards NEXT year's Special Holiday for my 70th birthday wink.

Moggycuddler Sun 21-Jun-20 11:11:28

Two pairs of mule slippers and 2 packs of knickers online.

Aepgirl Sun 21-Jun-20 11:14:37

4 new pairs of knickers!

Millie22 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:15:14

I've only bought 2 new tops and a blouse. I usually buy quite a lot of new things for holidays but that's obviously not happening this year. What I really need is some new make up especially mascara.

harrysgran Sun 21-Jun-20 11:22:58

Yes a dress I need to return 2 pairs of boots I'm prepared for winter a pair of shoes and a pair of slippers needless to say the slippers are now well worn

junie1 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:25:42

Hi Sue
Where did you get your leggings and comfy underwear, I need comfy .

Junie

junie1 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:27:21

What do you prefer underwire bras or none wired.

Junie

Pinkshoes26 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:32:59

No, no new clothes. I have tidied my clothes. Moved things around. Put pj’s and night dress on coat hangers. Folded t. Shirts and shorts/ 3/4 trousers and long. Made a hanging rack for scarfs and belts. By moving clothes around I can see I have , plenty to chose from.

Lilyflower Sun 21-Jun-20 11:37:42

I have bought a beautiful £99 dress from the Next sale for £19 as, when the Lockdown ends, I'll have something nice to wear for an occasion.

I have also bought an £85 skirt in the White Stuff sale, again for £19, which I have worn most Saturday evenings when the DH and I 'posh up', drink Champagne and have a special meal to cheer ourselves up.

But I am very shallow and love nice clothes. However, I haven't bought anything else.

JaneRn Sun 21-Jun-20 11:39:05

Just a pack of Sloggi briefs! I have a large box of summer clothes which I haven't unpacked yet.

I do need some more summer shoes or sandals which I usually buy in Hotter but have just read that they have been added to the list of businesses on the brink of closing. I shall certainly miss them if this happens. I wonder how many more will go?

Mollygo Sun 21-Jun-20 11:42:34

No, but DH bought some new walking shoes as soon as the Factory Shop opened, because he’d worn his others out with all the walking since January. Doors were wedged open. Only 12 people allowed in the shop. He tried 2 pairs of shoes, but the ones he didn’t get had to go in a crate to be disinfected and the seats were wiped as soon as he stood up to go. Quite impressed really.

Craftycat Sun 21-Jun-20 11:45:12

No but DH & I had a conversation this morning about our summer clothes & we are still wearing stuff we have had for years. We both live in shorts as soon as sun comes out. I have loads of colourful vest tops & he has T shirts. All our summer clothes have been to most of the Greek Islands countless times.
I think it is time I got some new clothes!

nipsmum Sun 21-Jun-20 12:01:05

I haven't bought clothes but I've bought lots of yarn for my charity knitting. Also materials to make face masks. Other than that mostly perishables and foodstuff.

FFFF Sun 21-Jun-20 12:11:52

New Year’s Resolution was not to buy any clothes or shoes in 2020.
Made easy by this wretched virus although I did HAVE to buy some new walking sandals. That doesn’t count though. Does it? ;)

Alioop Sun 21-Jun-20 12:23:15

Only had to buy new trainers cos of all the walking I've been doing! I have been wearing last year's summer clothes, although some still had tags on them....but with all the gardening & painting, I've been running about with the same tired old tops & jeans that I wouldn't actually wear out in the street lol

Theoddbird Sun 21-Jun-20 12:25:04

I have been sorting through mine and have been selling them on ebay. A little bit of extra money will come in handy. Will put more on there today...

Oh and not bought anything new...

GrammarGrandma Sun 21-Jun-20 12:36:30

Complete opposite of Witzend: bought one dress in my usual "Medium" and it was too tight. I sent it back but they had sold out of "Large" so I had to make do with a refund and I had paid postage twice.

Daisymae Sun 21-Jun-20 12:44:48

Yes, linen trousers from Poetry and Lands End, a couple of dresses and a shirt or maybe two. I am going to look my best in the garden!

Graygirl Sun 21-Jun-20 12:54:28

Have in New dress ,Gok Wan from qvc special price in petite length , 5ft4in use walking stick so most maxi midi dresses to long. DH forced me to order it :!!! Bad boy