Gransnet forums

Chat

What a sad person I am!

(63 Posts)
phoenix Thu 25-Jun-20 16:53:13

Hello all, hope you are all safe and well.

I'm a bit sad that my appointment at the salon has had to be cancelled, but grin at the news that Mr P says we can buy a new washer/dryer! (The current one is one it's last legs, makes a noise like a jumbo jet taking off when it is on the spin cycle)

So, I'm sad that I can't currently have my facial hair ripped out by the roots, but chuffed that I can have a new, essential (in my opinion) household appliance!

confused

silverlining48 Fri 26-Jun-20 09:53:57

I know it’s supposed to be the wrong thing to do but I cut my facial hair with small nail scissors using a magnifying mirror. Too much of it and too painful to tweeze and the creams dont seem to work.
If only the hair on my head was as prolific.

olliebeak Fri 26-Jun-20 10:06:32

Got a new kettle a couple of days ago to replace my 'furred up' one, which made me a VERY happy girl ......................... but only for a short while.

Later, on the SAME day, my microwave started to make a 'bumping sound'. Double checked the glass tray was 'centred' properly. Made sure that that the 'plastic tray' wasn't catching on the sides. Tried something else in there - still 'bumping' sad. Oh dear - now a new Microwave is looking very likely ........................... remembered that I've got a '£25 Love to Shop' voucher for Argos that will help with the cost wink.

Grandmafrench Fri 26-Jun-20 10:10:41

I always understood that cutting body hair just encouraged growth.....you know, a bit like a hedge! But most treatments, even tweezing, weaken and discourage it. Overplucked eyebrows for example.

Surely a 10 minute treatment with Jolen creme bleach will do just that, soften weaken and make any lady moustache look acceptable - especially with a sun tan. I so second the wish for thick hair on the head......those now with unmanageable "mops" don't know how lucky they are. grin

catladyuk Fri 26-Jun-20 10:52:36

New garden chairs being delivered today, can't wait!

ladymuck Fri 26-Jun-20 10:59:22

It's bad enough having facial hair without the degradation of having someone else remove it! A few minutes with the tweezers and a mirror in the privacy of my bedroom... the job's done and no-one else knows.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:04:30

GrandmasueUK, hope it plays your choice of music while you work!!

MRGUDER Fri 26-Jun-20 11:12:21

Just an idea - hold off on that hairdresser appointment and maybe put the money you would have spent towards Cancer Research. I am sure there are loads of patients who would love a hair appointment.
Besides your other half will always say you look lovely - he daren't say otherwise. [Smile]

NanaPlenty Fri 26-Jun-20 11:47:28

Bought a new Dyson! Absolutely love it - worth every penny and I can’t believe what’s come out of my carpets ? My hair - usually very short, looks like
a badly shaped helmet - omg!

Newatthis Fri 26-Jun-20 12:11:34

This reminds me of when I bought a lovely and expensive cuckoo clock back from Amsterdam and gave it to my MiL for Christmas. She was not at all happy that I had given her 'something for the house' so she certainly would not get excited about household appliances. But then she showed little excitement for anything! At the moment I would be excited if a plumber came to fix the shower so I don't get practically scalded everyday!

Thecatshatontgemat Fri 26-Jun-20 12:19:55

The strange thing that excited me, was receiving my new hoover the other day.
I am now wrestling with a Anti Hair Wrap Shark, of considerable weight and incredibly odd wobbly steering.
But oh : the wonderful clean carpets.
Bliss!

knspol Fri 26-Jun-20 12:25:05

Nothing beats the hair appointment I got this morning, such a relief!

Musicgirl Fri 26-Jun-20 13:08:58

I find having a skip exciting - new cloakroom suite being installed here. I can put all sorts of other rubbish in too. I am also excited by the new fixtures and fittings. When did l become someone who delights in a new toilet? My mum is keen on our behalf - thrilled to bits that said toilet has a soft close lid!

Rosina Fri 26-Jun-20 13:51:49

I've just ripped open a parcel, giddy with excitement, knowing full well that it contained two new soap dishes. Oh dear.

sodapop Fri 26-Jun-20 13:55:50

My husband has just said he is ready to start work on our kitchen, please let it be true smile

sharon103 Fri 26-Jun-20 14:33:55

Me too lemongrove Thu 25-Jun-20 17:14:02

Having my shopping delivered weekly on a Friday evening is the highlight of my week. Can't wait for my fresh cream apple turnovers. grin
What are we like! smile

Ninarosa Fri 26-Jun-20 14:59:34

My heart does an exquisite little flip when my grown son visits, looks in the fridge and says" oh Mum, choccie brownies " Still a few threads of the old apron strings remaining- on both sides .

phoenix Fri 26-Jun-20 15:16:50

Feeling pretty chuffed now!

Looked again on the website to be sure I had made the right decision, and was a bit angry to see it was now £37 cheaper! Also remembered that I had a discount code that I had forgotten to use.

Phoned the company (on hold for yonks) fully expecting the "sorry, that was the price when you ordered" sort of thing, but no!

So I'm getting a £56.80 refund! grin

Ordered last night, free delivery this coming Sunday!

Puzzler61 Fri 26-Jun-20 15:17:14

Ahh Ninarosa that’s lovely.
My heart swells when my daughters say “Ooh Mum’s roast dinners are yummy”.

Rufus2 Fri 26-Jun-20 15:39:25

my grown son visits, looks in the fridge
Ninarosa So does mine, except he says " this is past it's use by date, so is this , so is that, etc etc" and chucks them!
So, without ferreting through the garbage bin after he's gone, I've no idea what I'm going to be short of next week! sad

Esspee Fri 26-Jun-20 17:18:36

@silverlining48. If you are using scissors on facial hair why not just use a razor? It will give a much superior finish and far easier to do. Just make sure you use lots of lubricant (either soap or moisturiser).
Removal by the roots is far superior but chemical removal @Grandmafrench such as creams is the equivalent of shaving or cutting in that it does not discourage growth.

Grandmafrench Fri 26-Jun-20 17:38:15

Esspee Actually the Jolen creme bleach to which I referred will soften and weaken excess facial hair - it doesn't remove it. It is a not a depilatory cream and therefore cannot be the equivalent of either shaving or cutting.

Lucy127 Fri 26-Jun-20 17:53:25

I too got excited at arrival of new toilet. It’s a smart loo and it’s wonderful.
Squirt here, squirt there. Little light at night so don’t have to put on any bright lights. Soft closer and wait for it ....... it fans you dry. If you want it to.
Got other buttons for hygiene of toilet too. Very easy to use.
Best thing I’ve bought for years.
Can’t believe I’ve shared this. Never would have done before joining GN! ?

skunkhair63 Fri 26-Jun-20 18:17:59

I ordered some nice Sony headphones. When I saw they were packaged with a little wire tie wrapped around them, my sense of excitement regarding the possibilities of re-using this were really out of all proportion! It's the "little things", I guess... smile

FoghornLeghorn Fri 26-Jun-20 18:25:59

Hate to break the happy mood but it saddens me that a woman is pleased that her husband will ‘let’ her buy something.

skunkhair63 Fri 26-Jun-20 18:27:58

sodapop

My husband has just said he is ready to start work on our kitchen, please let it be true smile

Praying for you, sodapop!