Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(74 Posts)
12Michael Fri 26-Jun-20 06:16:47

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry but looks grey as well , maybe thundery later after a few days of hot weather .
Usual Friday shop , I went on the bus yesterday to Bicester , will add only passenger both ways .
Got what i wanted and left seems in some cases social distancing is being ignored , having seen the TV with Bournemouth, how long will it be for a 2nd wave .
Take Care ,
Mick

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:29:12

Good morning from muggy Harrogate! something wet and noisy threatened for this afternoon (probably when we take the dog out!)
Yesterday made some biscuits and forgot to put sugar in them - yeugh!! No more butter to make more until my Asda delivery this pm. Had to phone Asda last night 'cause the website often goes wrong, on this occasion it decided my amendments were for next week!!! Fortunately DD will be gong Sainsburies today and will get me what Asda won't!

Annaram1 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:29:35

Hi all, this is my first post on here although I read all your messages every day. I live in Sidmouth, in a 200 year old building, and my flat is on the ground floor. Over the years previous owners have painted many of the windows shut. There are several doors to the garden due to a large bay having 3 glass doors with stained glass features, and 2 of these have been painted shut. I have an opening window in my bedroom but this is to the driveway so I don't open it as being alone I don't want an intruder coming in. So apart from a couple of little top windows which I can open in the kitchen and sitting room there is there is not much fresh air coming in. So it gets quite hot at night. Funnily enough I don't really get too hot in bed. I use a sheet and a light duvet and by 3 am I am reaching out for the other duvet along side me to pull up, as I am cold by then! I suppose I have just got used to it over the years.
By the way, don't want to criticise, but I notice that some of you don't specify where you are. It would be nice if you mentioned it in your post.
Have a lovely day all.

Feelingmyage55 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:31:45

Good morning from a grey and humid north of Scotland. Surely it can’t be Friday again already? Chores done and may sit outside and read until the rain starts. I will watch a little of the tennis this afternoon. Without fans watching it is completely different but certainly better than nothing. Have the best day you can.

GrannySomerset Fri 26-Jun-20 11:38:40

Awful start to the day involving stripping DH’s bed and putting everything in the washing machine before I had even had a cup of tea. Grrrr! Tesco have finished their elderly hour but weren’t too busy so was home in time to peg out the first load of washing before putting the shopping away (not sanitised or washed any more).

Feel I have done a day’s work so maybe enjoy an afternoon reading and calming down. No sign of any rain but showers are possible, according to the forecast.

So glad Gilly had such a special day. Should be available on prescription. Marydoll doesn’t sound as if she is resting as she should, but I suppose you can’t change the habits of a lifetime.

Purplepixie Fri 26-Jun-20 11:39:07

Good morning from a sunny and warm East Midlands.

Food shop done for the week and maybe a bit in the garden if the rain holds off.

Stay safe and take care.

Nannan2 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:40:40

Am getting my cleaner back today- but only letting her do downstairs as nervy 17 yr old still scared of 'incomers' bringing virus in...hmm was looking forward (a bit) to her making things cleaner than we can, but was going to sit outside while shes here- now cant as its blooming chucking it down! Wish id let her clean yesterday now as she wanted.hmm?

Puzzler61 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:41:05

Welcome Annaram1, glad you’ve popped on to thread today.
The Good Morning’ers are a lovely lot.
I am in Worcs. where it’s not quite so hot as yesterday and I can hear that a breeze is bumping the upstairs window blinds.
As I get hot in bed I’m thinking of getting one of those cool pads for large dogs, and lying on that!
Have a nice day in Sidmouth by the sea.

Nannan2 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:48:06

Why are shops stopping the elderly/vulnerable shopping slots? Theres still loads of people who still cant get to normal times or still dont feel safe enough to 'mix' yet with others! Are they stopping the special online slots too?? I will be lost without mine, all 3 of us still will have medical problems/disabilities-(do supermarkets think weve all 'got better' overnight?) and are still nervous of going & mixing outside!

Nannan2 Fri 26-Jun-20 11:51:20

Am in a very rainy northwest??☔

Mapleleaf Fri 26-Jun-20 11:51:30

Good morning all, (just).

I've been up ages, but been quite busy. Just stopped for a tea break so thought I'd better post. I haven't read through all the posts yet, but will this afternoon.

Well, the bee man came yesterday, and in the meantime the little loves had moved on - much to my relief. We didn't cancel the visit though, as I wanted to be sure they weren't lurking. Apparently, they can decide to up and leave if they think the place they are scouting out isn't suitable. I'm thinking that perhaps that side of the house was too warm as it gets the full blast of the sun for most of the day. Anyway, I'm pleased and relieved. Much as I love bees, I don't want them taking up residence in my home. The man advised us to keep a watch over the next few days and if there are any reappearing, to give him a call, but he suspects they have moved on for good.

It was such a relief to be able to leave the windows upstairs open all through last night. The night before was unbearable with having to leave them closed. Our bedroom reached 33 degrees! The fan just wafted warm air around.

Right, back to my garden jobs before the predicted storms later this afternoon.

Take care, everyone. ?

grandMattie Fri 26-Jun-20 11:56:49

Beechnut, yep, saved crackers, cranberry sauce etc... {grin]

grandMattie Fri 26-Jun-20 12:03:31

Marydoll, perhaps you ought to wear a police whistle round your neck all the time?

BladeAnnie Fri 26-Jun-20 12:29:39

Good afternoon from a muggy mid-Notts. Still on with altering these bloody curtains and DD2 is collection them tomorrow so I'd best get a move on!!! Stay safe everyone and may Friday be kind to us all x

Jan16 Fri 26-Jun-20 12:47:42

Hi Annaram1. I live in Norfolk where several others on here do too. It’s so hot today. Had a heavy showers earlier and more is forecast later

Kalu Fri 26-Jun-20 12:53:05

A very late good morning where it is now wet and slightly breezy.

Two nights on the trot without much sleep and I feel like a wrung out rag. So hot last night I decided to sleep in the ‘girls’ bedroom downstairs at the back of the house which was a good bit cooler, windows open to allow some cool air through and just as I was about to switch the lamp off, a massive moth flew in. It is no longer with us.

Marydoll.....words fail me. ? Of all days to decide starting a little bit of activity, you sat in the sun and started to paint a chair! ??. Sit on your derrière and rest or I will contact your Consultant, I could easily find out who it is and I will report you!!

Green Fried Tomatoes is one of my favourite reads Urmstongran along with Yaya Sisterhood. You have put me in the mood to read either one of them again now.

I have read the whole thread but when I reach this point I can only remember so much I’m afraid?

Thoughts are with Nortsat, Harrigran and BlueSapphire

Have a pleasant day and a cooler one for those who need it.

EllanVannin Fri 26-Jun-20 12:58:31

Grandmafrench,you never forget do you ? x Bless you.

The place where my GGD is staying is funded ( I think ) by the council here in our area because there's no way we could afford a months, maybe more, private treatment as she's having.
Apparently the child has a great fear of men ? There's never been an occasion where she's feared any in the family concerning abuse of any kind, her dad was a gentle soul who she could be missing but she can't explain herself. His loss is bound to affect them all as it does me when I think of him. sad

She retreats to her room instead of joining in anything and unfortunately had a meltdown after my D and her siblings left on Saturday. Such a lot of frustration has built up inside her, bless her.

I do hope you feel better as the day goes on, just take things easy and keep out of the heat there x

EllanVannin Fri 26-Jun-20 13:03:27

MawB it was like Christmas morning unpacking the cleaner, which is brilliant by the way. Imagine being excited by something that's going to make you work----the mind boggles grin.

Still, I've got delivery of a great CD to keep me going---the world's best Soul Album, brilliant and takes my mind right back.

NannyCF Fri 26-Jun-20 13:04:32

Good morning from Northamptonshire. Very sunny, no signs of rain! Three cheers for the NHS, Mr L had his 6 weekly transfusion this morning - he has not missed any lung cancer treatment because of this Coronavirus.

Kalu Fri 26-Jun-20 13:13:43

Just heard good news from our FM. No more cases reported and thankfully, no more deaths. Let’s hope this continues.

Kalu Fri 26-Jun-20 13:25:56

EllanV. It’s heartbreaking thinking of what your GGD is going through. I sincerely hope that, in her mind, she has found a place where she feels safe and with the care she deserves can gradually unravel what troubles her.

Nannytopsy Fri 26-Jun-20 14:52:21

Hello everyone - sorry I am so late! We both are tending to wake up at 4-6 am then fall very soundly asleep until 9 or even 10. Lots of early appointments next week so it’ll be the alarm clock!
I am supposed to be tackling the ironing mountain like Grey but I haven’t left base camp yet.
We bought a hand held vacuum like Maw and love it. The dyson rarely comes out of the cupboard now!
Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.

EllanVannin Fri 26-Jun-20 16:08:41

Kalu, she'll be 12 next month so there are hormones to consider too.
My GD and all the children suffered when their dad died during lockdown and none of us could do anything. GD had a breakdown and the children were " scattered " about the area for their safety and security while their mum was being treated by a team from the mental health department.

I'll be glad when things can get back to normal and the family can be together. I know they're all safe with 3 in temporary foster care, my D has 3 and the girl who's in the Lake District. We've been very lucky as a family that immediate care was found and authorities pulled out all the stops .

Thankyou for your kind words .x

Kalu Fri 26-Jun-20 19:31:44

I have been closely following your family’s deeply sad situation EllanV. Your poor GD must be feeling this will never end. A lot of overwhelming sorrow for any family to endure and it is my deepest wish that life does get back to normal soon for you and your loving family. ?