Gransnet forums

Chat

Still can't get to see new baby

(53 Posts)
Newatthis Sat 11-Jul-20 12:41:50

I posted a few weeks ago and chatted about us grans who have our children and grandchildren living overseas and how difficult it is (at the best of times)to see them but even more so now. I have a 4 hour trip to the airport, an 11 hour flight and an ongoing 1 hour journey but I do try to go as often as possible which is usually twice a year. At the moment I can't go even if I wanted to as my grandchildren live in USA and we have closed our borders to all people coming from the USA and they have to us visiting there also. My new granddaughter is now 6 weeks old, I should have been there for the birth. I haven't seen my daughter (or other grandchild) for 6 months and don't know when I will. With the COVID situation in the USA it is looking more and more bleak. I am getting very down about it even though I try not to, not withstanding the worry of whether they will catch it. My friends and family cannot understand how I feel as they have the 'Well, you don't see that much of them anyway" attitude. I feel that I have no-one to talk to about this who might understand. I know there are many of you out there who are in similar situations.

Persistentdonor Sun 20-Jun-21 11:14:49

For all the people desperate to see their overseas families, please accept my heart felt support.
I last saw my son and grandchildren in spring of 2018, and was supposed to see them again at the end of 2019. That was rolled over to the end of this year, which now seems increasingly less likely, and my heart is breaking.
It is true that we are so much luckier with video, than 200 years ago, but what when they are SO busy they never answer for weeks on end?
My youngest grandchild was a toddler last time I saw him, by now he is a proper tearaway, and I suspect he might be taller than I am before the next time!
I find it so very hard. sad

maddyone Sun 20-Jun-21 16:04:29

It’s so sad for all concerned isn’t it? We all have absolutely no idea when we’ll see them again. What a mess!