Gransnet forums

Chat

Bees in the Bonnet

(52 Posts)
Teetime Mon 27-Jul-20 15:49:38

On another thread I was reminded of the ever growing list of Bees in my husbands bonnet. He is a lovely tolerant man but some things/people cause him to boycott or sometimes rant. Have you or yours got anything similar
Here is the abridged list of his Bees;-
Rupert Murdoch
James Dyson
Cling film
Parking facing the wrong way in the street
Speeding fines (not enough)
Sky TV
TV Soaps
The M6
Designer clothes
etc etc - wont bore you - well I mightgrin

JackyB Thu 30-Jul-20 10:18:55

My DH rambles on at length about many things such as the environment but it's hard to pin down to bees in his bonnet.

My Dad, though - he had no end! And they kept increasing! In the end he even complained about people talking with Scots accents, although he had admired the Scots all his life.

I never could understand how people could get less tolerant, the older they got. Surely the longer you are on this earth, the more you would realise that "it takes all sorts".

Daddima Tue 28-Jul-20 14:54:52

I agree with Momat, keep the cling film in the fridge or freezer.

Teetime Tue 28-Jul-20 14:40:19

I have issue with the BBC too - the grammar on the news at time makes me wince and as for the dreadful programmes e.g. Mrs Browns whatever it is.......

NotTooOld Tue 28-Jul-20 13:44:45

PS Oh yes, I forgot the real biggy. The BBC.

NotTooOld Tue 28-Jul-20 13:43:53

We have lots of bees in our house:

Social media (why put pics of your dinner on the internet?)
Weather forecasts (always wrong)
The weather (too cold, too hot, too windy etc)
Neighbours practising musical instruments
Masks (waste of time)
Prices (something has always gone up unnecessarily)
Houses without garages
Putting stuff in the 'wrong' bin (I do that, never him)
Neighbours who cut their grass 'every day'
Cruises

I could go on but you have probably heard enough. Really, he is a lovely man!

Kate1949 Tue 28-Jul-20 13:23:39

Some of my DH's are -
Passwords for everything
Automated phone calls
People who park across 2 spaces in car parks
Every driver on the road except him
People who don't buy their round when out in a pub
People who don't say thank you when he holds a door open for them
Next door's trees blocking our light!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 28-Jul-20 13:09:44

I know I'm a fusspot. I hate it when others don't pay attention to detail. When I was ill I had to have someone stay with me for a few days. Although I was grateful to them for putting themselves out I grit my teeth whenever they made a drink in my kitchen and left a puddle all over the worktop.
They insisted on doing my washing despite my protests and shrank some of my items as they didn't heed the 'do not tumble dry' warning so long sleeves ended up half way up my arms.
I insist on always doing these myself now. They meant well, but ... I felt like screaming.

Jane43 Tue 28-Jul-20 12:52:48

The mention of tv chefs reminded me that I shout at the tv every time John Torode says ‘Tumeric’ instead if ‘Turmeric’.

DH, our two sons and I have a bee in our bonnets about being late, we are all always punctual. Our younger son married somebody who was always late, usually because she was doing her hair, and it did cause a few problems but they have been married for 27 years now and on the rare occasion that she is late we all overlook it because of her many other wonderful qualities.

gillybob Tue 28-Jul-20 10:25:20

Well Teetime

My DH has more than his share of bees in his bonnet of late and does share one or two with your lovely man.

Call centre's (especially financial institutions)
Passwords
James (the traitor) Dyson
People parking disrespectfully (especially on the pavement outside of our house).
Institutions blaming Coronavirus for everything (we don't have as many people taking you calls because of Coronavirus, you can't see a doctor due to coronavirus....etc)
The NHS
Our Local authority
The window cleaner
Next doors cat using our garden as a toilet (he's not quite so "poolite" though)

Oh dear the list is becoming very long indeed. grin

In his defense he has been to hell and back in the last year.

Teetime Tue 28-Jul-20 09:53:05

Thank you all for responding its good to know I'm not the only person living with Victor Meldrew although I should confess my own 'bees' I suppose;-

Chewing gum
The F word
Toppers- people who top everything you say e.g. better holidays, larger houses, better cars.
Mayonnaise on everything
Oil and balsamic for bread - where's the butter?
Watching people cover their meal in sauces
Drinking from bottles
Men wearing hats indoors
Marmite
Anything minty - yuk even the word bleugh!
Tatoos

not very tolerant am I?

infoman Tue 28-Jul-20 07:12:41

The BBC using the word OUR region on all of its local TV and radio programmes.
The word "tomorrow" in the written or spoken word,
every day of the week has a specific name.

momat Tue 28-Jul-20 06:12:52

Keep cling film in the fridge.Makes it easy to use.

JuneRose Mon 27-Jul-20 22:29:49

I think I must be turning into a grumpy old woman.. I agree with all of the above ? ... I would add dithery advice/rules from number ten, adverts on tv for tenalady/tampons/sanitary pads at teatime, drivers who don't acknowledge when you've let them through, Peardrop I agree with the vomit one - why does any programme portraying high emotion resort to people puking?? Oh and anyone eating a crunchy, juicy apple in the same room ... I could go on ?

KerryS Mon 27-Jul-20 22:00:24

MerylStreep - yes, I agree completely, but I'm not condemning them, just saying it irritates me!
And I didn't say I was perfect!!

NotAGran55 Mon 27-Jul-20 21:48:24

Middle lane hoggers
Loose dogs running at people on walkways . Should be on leads grrrrr . Totally wrecked my village walks during lockdown.
Covidiots not wearing masks correctly.
People who are constantly late .

MerylStreep Mon 27-Jul-20 21:33:30

KerryS
Your post did make me smile.
You say you are annoyed at people who post photos on social media.
Then, you state people who make snide remarks about how others live there lives. What's it to do with anyone else so long as it's not hurting anyone
The people posting the photos aren't hurting anyone but you choose to condemn them.

merlotgran Mon 27-Jul-20 21:30:29

TV presenters on Escape to the Country who don't know the difference between a manege (sorry, I don't know how to do a grave accent on the laptop) and a ménage.

If you want somewhere to school your horse it's unlikely to be over the fence from a domestic arrangement where three people are having sex!

That would certainly scare the horses!! grin

Whingingmom Mon 27-Jul-20 21:26:58

Oh yes - poor grammar/ punctuation/spelling -
Should of/could of instead of should have/could have
Bare with me instead of bear with me (funny though)
Upmost for utmost
And my worst bee is ect instead of etc.

Whingingmom Mon 27-Jul-20 21:22:50

Yes!! My husband (and me too if I am honest!) has turned into Victor Meldrew. Our bees are
BBC and its negativity
Jeremy Vine
Reality TV Stars
Piers Morgan
Drivers who don’t indicate
Cyclists who don’t use cycle paths
Lazy people
Entitled people
Rude people/bad attitude
Sellotape
Untidy gardens
Self assembly furniture

I could go on .......

Bellanonna Mon 27-Jul-20 21:17:56

C*******s

KerryS Mon 27-Jul-20 21:17:25

People who start a sentence with 'so', as in 'Where do you live?' 'So, I live in London'!
People who clap themselves on game shows
People who constantly put photos of their meals on social media, or 'Out at the wine bar' with a picture of a glass of wine! Just, why???
People who say 'he won't hurt you' when their dog jumps up at you , having no respect for peoples fear of dogs, or in my son's case, 3 years old, and left him frightened of dogs for a long time after a great dane knocked him over and stood over him, whilst the owner thought it amusing!
Text speak and emojis
People who disrespect others who suffer from mental health, obesity, disabilities, gay, race, etc Who gave them the right to decide what's 'normal' or 'acceptable???
People who make snide remarks about how others live their lives, what's it to do with anyone else, so long as it's not hurting anyone.
People who force their political opinions on you, with the attitude that you are wrong and they are right.
Rude or selfish people.
Ooh! I could go on and on!
But clingfilm is fine!

merlotgran Mon 27-Jul-20 21:14:20

TV chefs who don't know that marinade is a noun and marinate is a verb. angry

phoenix Mon 27-Jul-20 20:32:52

Oh yes, "of" when it should be "have" !!

janeainsworth Mon 27-Jul-20 20:22:58

Marmight Any one who says ‘should of’
gringringrin

Kate1949 Mon 27-Jul-20 19:17:25

That was to MayBee smile