Gransnet forums

Chat

Children's songs

(35 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 08-Aug-20 15:46:43

I have just remembered a great children's song that I used to sing with my children:

(Children lie on floor) Sleeping little bunnies, sleeping till it's noon,
Shall we try and wake them with a merry tune?
Oh so still
Are they ill?
Wake up little bunnies! (children leap up!)
Hop little bunnies, hop, hop, hop!
Hop little bunnies, hop, hop, hop!

They would tolerate any number of repetitions!

Did you have favourite songs that the children enjoyed?

ElaineI Sun 09-Aug-20 18:32:41

A lot of these are still sung now. The bunnies one Luckygirl is sung at both DGD and DGS2 gym monkeys to calm them down from free play. At least it was before lockdown. The toddlers love it. And we too have all sorts on the bus Quizqueen - dinosaurs, snakes, monkeys, and all the family members with their sayings and habits. It got us from our house to DGS2 s house after tea when he was tired - about 10 minutes.

GrandmaKT Sun 09-Aug-20 20:41:13

When I started school, they asked us one day if anyone knew a song to sing. There were contributions of Baa Baa Black Sheep, Twinkle Twinkle etc. When it was my turn, I stood on my chair and gave them a rendition of Micky McGilligan's Daughter (which my dad used to sing to me, and to my innocent ears was just another nursery rhyme) :
It starts -

Micky McGilligan had a daughter name of Mary Anne
She tipped the scale at nearly 20 stone
She didn't use a powder puff and here's the reason why
She shovelled on the powder with a spoon.

I don't know how far they let me get! My parents were mortified when I told them!

Chewbacca Sun 09-Aug-20 20:47:27

Well BBbevan I spent this afternoon with the GC and I tried out your version of the Popeye the Sailor Man song! 3 year old GS laughed his head off and kept climbing back on to my knees shouting "Again Granny!" grin

lemongrove Sun 09-Aug-20 23:15:58

Chewbacca

Unconventional but little GS absolutely loves the Popeye the Sailor Man song. He sits on my knees, facing away from me but with me holding on to him.

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man
I live in a caravan
I opened the door......
And I fell on the floor
I'm Popeye the Sailor Man, toot! toot!

When it gets to the bit "I opened the door, and I fell on the floor...", I let him "fall" between my knees and he shrieks with laughter! --no wonder I need a TKR--

Now that your DGS is 16.....shouldn’t he have moved on from that??

Ten Green Bottles
The Farmer Wants A Wife
And the one that all our DC loved when small.... Six currant buns in the bakers shop, large and round with sugar on the top, along came ( insert name of child) with a penny one day, bought a currant bun and took it right away.This is usually played with a small group of children and each child represents a bun and is played until all the children have been ‘taken away’.

MissAdventure Sun 09-Aug-20 23:27:16

We used to sing "I know an old lady who swallowed a fly" when my girl was little.

lemongrove Sun 09-Aug-20 23:29:24

The House That Jack Built

BBbevan Mon 10-Aug-20 06:22:13

Chewbacca Sound a very engaging lad to me. Bet you love him to bits

JackyB Mon 10-Aug-20 08:05:40

I remember singing Michael Finnegan from the Time and Tune books. We listened to the radio programme in class and learnt lots of lovely songs from it - from traditional folk songs to nonsense rhymes like that.

rubysong Mon 10-Aug-20 09:07:43

Thank you for reminding me of lots of these.
Time and Tune was great. Three friends and I who meet up from time to time bought a similar book so we can sing some of these old favourites at our tea parties. Maybe next time I'll add 'Popeye the sailor man'!