Gransnet forums

Chat

Looking forward to seeing Diana programmes on next week

(121 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 09-Aug-20 13:21:47

I’ve just noticed there are three programmes coming on next wed thurs, and fri, about Diana, on channel 5, as I was a great fan I will be tuning in, but have to say I will mute the interview with Paul Burrell having his say! Will anyone else be watching it?

Elegran Sun 09-Aug-20 16:07:21

I wouldn't sweep her under the carpet, but I wouldn't make her such a focus.

Ellianne Sun 09-Aug-20 16:20:40

Interesting comment Riverwalk. Does being a Londoner make you more in tune with Royal events? I was watching a ballet at The Royal Opera House when the curtain fell to announce the death of the Queen Mother. (Some idiot's phone rang at the same moment!!)
I was a tourist guide in the city for a bit and all the visitors wanted to talk about was Diana and Charles. Stands to reason I have a bit of an everlasting interest, but not obsessive.

merlotgran Sun 09-Aug-20 16:29:21

In the name of the wee man

Warwick Davis? shock

Riverwalk Sun 09-Aug-20 16:58:25

Does being a Londoner make you more in tune with Royal events?

I'm not sure Ellianne but passing certain 'landmarks' one can't help but associate them with major events - I often pass the block of flats where Diana lived before she married and each and every time I remember that chuchy-faced teenager with her head down being pursued by the press, some 40 years' on.

Good heavens, can it be 40 YEARS? !

Ellianne Sun 09-Aug-20 17:07:20

Landmarks, is the right word Riverwalk. I have a frisson when I pass Jill Dando's Hammersmith house. Maybe more so when the person has died (young).

AllotmentLil Sun 09-Aug-20 17:31:25

No

Jane43 Mon 10-Aug-20 12:20:52

These Channel 5 programmes On the royal family are usually a rehash of material we’ve seen before.

silverlining48 Mon 10-Aug-20 12:40:06

Why do they constantly rehash repeats or reruns of this sad story? Could it be the fact that it’s the anniversary of her death at the end of this month.
I am not a particular fan nor am I much interested in the comings and goings of the RF, but always felt rather sorry for Diana, so young so hopeful.

silverlining48 Mon 10-Aug-20 12:40:29

No, I won’t be watching it.

GillT57 Mon 10-Aug-20 12:49:58

I will not watch. She manipulated the popular press to try and be the winner in the marriage that should never have taken place. I too wonder if it is an attempt to stir things up as we get nearer to the ascension of Charles to the throne. Leave her be, the only people who should mourn her passing are her family and friends, not strangers who never met her.

Freeandeasy Mon 10-Aug-20 17:14:56

Nope - was never a fan or of the Royal family in general - apart from the Queen.

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 17:24:12

tanith

Nothing new to see here I’m afraid it’ll be old news rehashed for entertainment I’m sure her boys would rather her memory was left in peace.

Quite

MissAdventure Mon 10-Aug-20 17:39:33

I'm quite interested in her (probably not enough to watch the programme) because we were the same age, as were our children.

Nortsat Tue 11-Aug-20 08:53:36

As a Republican (in the anti-Royalist sense, not the US political sense) I am not at all interested in her now nor when she was alive.

She once visited the Hospice, where my sister ran the Day Care Service. It was a real palaver for the team to get everything ready in advance, including the special separate toilet and to meet the requirements for the lunch.

My sister said conversation with Diana was painfully banal. However, the patients loved her, she looked beautiful in a pink outfit and smelled lovely (that just about sums it up, for me).

EllanVannin Tue 11-Aug-20 09:17:43

I remember it well ! I was in Oz and a gathering of us had just sat down to enjoy a lovely spread----then "that" news came on and not one of us could tuck in as it was such a shock.
I'd videoed the funeral on channel 9 or 10, with the Aussie voice-over which didn't have the same reverence as ours.

Calendargirl Tue 11-Aug-20 09:18:26

This thread has garnered lots of negative comments about Diana.

I keep reading them because it is so much more interesting than that other absolutely stupid thread about cold tea.

henetha Tue 11-Aug-20 10:16:21

How many more re-hashes of this can we have? Diana should be left in peace now, surely. And it must be upsetting for her sons.

Oldwoman70 Tue 11-Aug-20 11:30:49

Surely after more than 20 years this woman could be left to rest in peace.

We don't need to see a re-hash of all her actions, good and bad or to go over the details of her last day. No, I won't be watching.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 11-Aug-20 11:39:53

Whether we like Diana The Princess of Wales or not she is part of UK history and was the mother of the future King.

Franbern Tue 11-Aug-20 11:47:47

paddyanne

I get really fed up with the nimber of times this woman is dragged out for entertainment value.I was never a fan,she's not someone I would like my children or GC to look up to ,adultery,.manipulation and selfishness are not traits I admire.So ,no I wont be watching,the Sainted Diana was a myth and I'm too old to blieve in fairy tales .

Rather sums up how I felt about her, whenever I bothered to think about her at all.
Definitely not any sort of role model - but then do not think that any of those so-privileged royals are.
Got a lot better things to do with my time than to watch any more rubbish about this woman.

Calendargirl Thu 13-Aug-20 06:54:58

Well, I watched it TrendyNannie.

There wasn’t much else on, yes it was the same old stuff, interesting how young Tony Blair, Alastair Campbell et al looked back then.

Ellianne Thu 13-Aug-20 07:32:21

Same old, same old. I quite liked the format with the black and white countdown reel.
The shots they chose showed how really manipulative she was both in front of the camera and in winning people over. It wasn't all gushing about her, just bare facts.
I believe it is being shown to coincide with the anniversary of her death.
Not sure whether I'll watch the rest.

sodapop Thu 13-Aug-20 08:44:17

Calendargirl the cold tea thread has now run to 10 pages. Unbelievable smile

Lucca Thu 13-Aug-20 09:11:53

No intention of watching it. I thought she was a stylish beautiful woman but the Dianamania was silly. However she may have behaved she was a mother who died tragically young leaving two young sons so I feel the anatagonistic (? Highly critical ?)comments after all this time are not necessary Or appropriate. But that’s just my opinion.

Ellianne Thu 13-Aug-20 09:17:37

There was some previously unseen footage of her at The Ritz and quite a lot about Mohammed Al Fayed's involvement in the tragic decision making.
It left me thinking what if things had been different, where would she be now?